Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Apart from a few exceptions, the most popular videos on YouTube are all music videos from established artists. 'Content creators' are not the main reason why YouTube blew up.
    Exactly, ARE. Not were. Who came first you think?

First we had viral videos and a lot of randomness, in 2007 I believe YouTube enabled Ads for the first time, allowing content creators to feed the website with regular content. This was the initial spark that even allowed the website to grow, as having no professional uploaders would have meant stagnation.

Only in 2012 with Gangnam Style, YouTube music videos started hitting absurdly high views. Now even lame songs such as Decpashito can be #1 viewed videos. I blame algorithms.

Musicians followed to a website with loads of traffic. Many songs were uploaded not by the creators anyway, and many musicians had a problem with their songs being ripped off YouTube. In 2005, the most viewed Video was Tupac's "Life goes on", uploaded by some random dude called fhearnoiz. I think Linkin Park were the first to actually land most viewed videos on their own channel. Not sure about that, though.

ONLY after VEVO became a thing, music songs were #1 every year.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-10-01 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    No. I'm talking about a job where you have to clock in at an office or restaurant and get paid a wage etc. I'm just asking. Are these youtubers worried about having to go out into the real world? I guess i dont understand.
    So if you don't punch a clock, you don't work in the real world? It sounds to me like you don't live in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Exactly, ARE. Not were. Who came first you think?

First we had viral videos and a lot of randomness, in 2007 I believe YouTube enabled Ads for the first time, allowing content creators to feed the website with regular content. This was the initial spark that even allowed the website to grow, as having no professional uploaders would have meant stagnation.

Until 2009 there was hardly any commercial music on YouTube. Back in the days music videos were so heavily pirated from YouTube, musicians were hesitant to upload their tracks until YouTube tried to fix shit with Vevo.

Only in 2012 with Gangnam Style, YouTube music videos started hitting absurdly high views. Now even lame songs such as Decpashito can be #1 viewed videos. I blame algorithms.
    Actually, music videos have always been the most popular, barring a small number of exceptions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...YouTube_videos

I remember the early days of YouTube when the search/category function was different and enabled you to find some really weird obscure shit. Remember stuff like this?

Now it's all "Don't forget to hit like and subscribe!" PewDiePie wannabes.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Actually, music videos have always been the most popular, barring a small number of exceptions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...YouTube_videos

I remember the early days of YouTube when the search/category function was different and enabled you to find some really weird obscure shit. Remember stuff like this?

[video=youtube;ns1SGo3WCF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns1SGo3WCF4[video]

Now it's all "Don't forget to hit like and subscribe!" PewDiePie wannabes.
    Yea I worded myself badly and edited my post. It all made more sense in my head before I hit the post button.

Yes music was always big, but not by the fault of any specific artist; rather, by fault of some random uploader who decided that song should be on YouTube.

As far as musicians are concerned, they wanted to see YouTube go to hell because they LOST revenue until VEVO.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-10-01 at 05:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Its not a job, its a scam.
    Suckers are just getting used, when they are pretty much capeable to start their own site.
    then why baven't they done so?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Kind of on-topic-ish but I decided to look at the channel of a CFS sufferer I used to be subscribed to years ago. Turns out she got cancer and died Strange to think how many of these video blogs by people like her will be left up for years to come, existing like a ghost in the machine.

if it were up to me, i'd reign youtube in.

they're ruining peoples' livelihoods here.

also, that son of a bitch with his "awareness" foundation that goes around scaring advertisers into leaving things, i'd put that motherfucker in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    i think you typing that to yourself, no reason to attack me for the truth. i dont have a job nor a career, i own a business. cya

now go on get your money little duffle bag boy
    "I know you are but what am I"

Let me know when you want to join us at the adults table.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    what do you think, radio DJ's do....
    Agiain, not really a real job IMO. a real job is a Carenter, Plumber, Engineer, basically someone who knows what it's like to work their asses off and how it feels to do a full days work not 9-5 I'm talking 8-8 or 8-10.

Some of the more marginal channels will close, the bigger ones will weather the storm.

I foresee Youtube becoming considerably less viable as an income stream in the coming years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Agiain, not really a real job IMO. a real job is a Carenter, Plumber, Engineer, basically someone who knows what it's like to work their asses off and how it feels to do a full days work not 9-5 I'm talking 8-8 or 8-10.
    How about a guy who just trades stocks all day, hits it big and becomes a billionaire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    so accounting isn't a real job? being a lawyer isn't a job? being a judge isn't a job? being a stripper isn't a job? being a fry cook isnt a job? being a psychiatrist isn't a job? being a pediatrist isn't a job?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

ah, so, people who make more money than you and don't have to do back breaking shit don't really work? sounds like you got the shit end of the stick there. but I'm sure they're envious of guys like you /snort.

Deleted
    The real injustice is that Rick Astley does not receive much cash for Never Gunna Give You Up - a video which trumps all other content.

7+ Year Old Account
    The youtube platform, while being mostly controlled by Youtube themselfs, is pretty much funded by companies and they reign when it comes to what stays and what goes, unless Youtubers get a patreon.

This is only fair, they get to choose where their ads are being played since they pay for them, but Youtube is really treating its "employes" really bad. Every youtuber, especially the big ones, are giving Youtube thousands, if not millions of hits yet they don't have a deal when it comes to income, they don't have rights when it comes from being "fired" from this very real job and finally they have little to no defense when it comes to advertisers turning off the income.

While youtubers are being payed through ads, they are pretty much employed by Youtube and Youtube should take care of them if they want their platform to stay. Right now, Youtube have a total monopoly on the video markey and that is the only reason why they can not give a crap about their users. This will not change unless Youtube gets a competeter, but who knows when that will surface.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    So i've been getting a lot of vids in my youtube feed about people getting demonetized. My question is, what will these youtubers do now? Will they have to go out into the real world and get a job or am I not understanding what's going on?
    Can you give us a bit more background? Why are they demonetized? What is Youtube's position?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Can you give us a bit more background? Why are they demonetized? What is Youtube's position?
    It's pretty much anything controversial at this point. Politics, religion and basically any forbidden subject on Gen-OT. The advertisers who bring in the biggest pay checks are unwilling to have their advertisements randomly show for those videos.

Not sure where I stand on this. On the one hand, it's their money and their brand on the line, on the other hand they're missing out on potential customers. For the youtuber crowd it's just a bad deal though. You have some smaller brands who don't care which video they're under but it generates way less money per view for the owner of the channel.

Not a fan of silencing any critic by taking away their paycheck.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    It's pretty much anything controversial at this point. Politics, religion and basically any forbidden subject on Gen-OT. The advertisers who bring in the biggest pay checks are unwilling to have their advertisements randomly show for those videos.

Not sure where I stand on this. On the one hand, it's their money and their brand on the line, on the other hand they're missing out on potential customers. For the youtuber crowd it's just a bad deal though. You have some smaller brands who don't care which video they're under but it generates way less money per view for the owner of the channel.

Not a fan of silencing any critic by taking away their paycheck.
    Hmm. It's not silencing them though, is it? But in advertising, the company that buys the ad decides where it gets placed with the money they spent. Placing a steak house ad in front of a veggie recipe video really doesn't make much sense now, does it?

And I'm not really sympathetic to the army of clickbait shit content producers.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Hmm. It's not silencing them though, is it? But in advertising, the company that buys the ad decides where it gets placed with the money they spent. Placing a steak house ad in front of a veggie recipe video really doesn't make much sense now, does it?

And I'm not really sympathetic to the army of clickbait shit content producers.
    I don't think its the clickbait producers like Buzzfeed. It's mostly channels run by 1-2 people with opinions as far as I know. It's not even checked properly, Youtube just has an algorithm go through your video and if it finds ANYTHING controversial you're done. Some channels don't even know why, Preachgaming recently got demonetized and still doesn't know why. Toxic commenters, or even the use of the word "priest" in one of his videos? It's a shitty thing all around if you ask me.

Also found this quick recap when I googled how to properly spell "demonetized" https://www.recode.net/2016/9/4/1279...tion-explainer
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I don't think its the clickbait producers like Buzzfeed. It's mostly channels run by 1-2 people with opinions as far as I know. It's not even checked properly, Youtube just has an algorithm go through your video and if it finds ANYTHING controversial you're done. Some channels don't even know why, Preachgaming recently got demonetized and still doesn't know why. Toxic commenters, or even the use of the word "priest" in one of his videos? It's a shitty thing all around if you ask me.

Also found this quick recap when I googled how to properly spell "demonetized" https://www.recode.net/2016/9/4/1279...tion-explainer
    Doesn't even need to be controversial.

This guy just puts on suits and reviews fast food, never said anything political or offensive on his channel, never even cursed.

Most of his stuff is demonetized.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Doesn't even need to be controversial.

This guy just puts on suits and reviews fast food, never said anything political or offensive on his channel, never even cursed.

Most of his stuff is demonetized.

[video=youtube;ppcYoem3URo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppcYoem3URo[video]
    Could be linked to comments afterall then, interesting. I wonder if you could raid a youtube channel for months in a row with a load of sockpuppets, post the most horrid shit in the comments and destroy their income.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮