Page 30 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Last episode was ok... then I realized the reason was likely no Klingons talking the entire episode. As many things that tick me off I will keep watching because there isn't much else to watch these days. I still lol every time they say Michael... as someone named Mike I fail to see what the producers point was. We are edgy so we gave her a 100% male name? At least give her the French version ffs.

Also, do they really need to carry over the freaking Apple store asthetic lensflare every time they enter the bridge thing they stole from JJTrek?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Nope its not set in the JJverse....they said that like 10 times already.
    Then they don't know what they're doing because this looks nothing like the Prime Universe. They can say it all day long, but the show looks like it's a prequel to the JJverse, not the Prime Universe. Furthermore, there are so many things they've established that are just plain wrong for the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    No, but it must be true to the optimistic outset Star Trek always had. The future is bright.

Discovery is BSG wannabe. An officer calling prisoners garbage or animals? WTF.
    I think trek is at its best when it unshackles itself from that. DS9 is a great example of this. To me it was by far the best trek show do to its darker look at the future. Yes hope and viewing the future will be bright was still around but during the lead up to the dominion war and the war itself it got very dark. The Federation was shown to not be this unrealistic squeaky clean good guy nation and that made it all the more interesting.

Edit: But i do agree with others that Discovery is missing the lightheartedness of the past shows. Quark and Odo for example their interactions were some of my favorite moments in DS9. I also don't like that the show so far seems to focus on one character nearly the whole time. Other trek shows while yes each episode had a main focus it would show us other subplots and things away from the captain and hell many times the episodes would focus on someone other than the captain/main lead.

Hell did the other shows really even have main leads? Archer seemed to take up more time than previous captains in the past but even still we shifted around. Maybe that is part of the issue so far with discovery.
    Last edited by Rumred; 2017-10-03 at 05:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    You must have never watched any sci-fi series ever, or you're just an idiot.

Pick one. Lie to me and tell me you've watched every sci-fi series ever made. Lie to me and tell me that those shows never tackled real-world social issues through the lens of their program. Lie to me and tell me that sci-fi shows have never made a habit of addressing modern social issues.

Please, your lies feed my ignore list.
    No need to get angry... it's obvious what I'm talking about if you've watched the show, not even gonna bother arguing. Go make a cup of tea bro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    The worst thing is that Discovery betrays all what Star Trek stand for. The show do everything to show that Michael was right.
    How is Michael doing everything right when as consequnce she gets stripped of everything she ever worked for?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Here. Use this instantaneous magic space fungus warp drive macguffin thing to look at Romulans we won't see for ten years. Also everyone hates you and I'm evil. STAR TREEEEK!"
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumred View Post
    I think trek is at its best when it unshackles itself from that. DS9 is a great example of this. To me it was by far the best trek show do to its darker look at the future.
    And then there are a lot of those of us who think that DS9 was the worst one out of all of the shows because it was just some random nondescript broken-down space station out there in the ass-end of space, and it had the worst bad guys in the Star Trek universe (the Dominion), and it lacked the glamour and heroism and beauty and valor of a true main character; a space ship. In ToS and TNG, even Enterprise, and arguably even Voyager, the true main character of the show is the ship; the USS Enterprise (and Voyager), whilst DS9 as a station was about as interesting as a haphazardly built mud hut.

Star Trek, from ToS to the original movies, to TNG, and partially even Voyager, although less so Enterprise (which I believe was it's downfall), was all about these huge, grand scale adventures, where you travel through time, you fight the most powerful enemy in the Universe (whatever it might be at that moment), and so on. The Dominion was hugely uninteresting as an enemy, and combined with the fact that there was no "Excalibur" in the show, no "Mjölnir", no true shiny superweapon that everyone can look upon in awe; as in, no main character ship, it made DS9 about the most boring show ever. For those of us such as myself, that is. I do admit, though, that some people do think DS9 was the shit and the best of all of the Star Trek shows, but that's my point; it's a point of debate.

Lexx, Andromeda, Firefly, Red Dwarf, Farscape, Dark Matter, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Universe, Star Trek ToS, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek Enterprise, the list goes on and on. All shows with a main character (to a less of a degree with some of them), the ship. It just doesn't work with a space station. At least Discovery has this going for it, even if it's not really a Star Trek show.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-10-03 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    And then there are a lot of those of us who think that DS9 was the worst one out of all of the shows
    Yeah, and Michael Bay's Transformers made billions. There's no accounting for taste.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    First, it wasn't my claim to begin with.
    Second, I literally just did a Google search on the topic and found tons of links to discussions about it. Maybe you should actually learn how to use Google properly? Just a helpful thought.
    Third, you might want to read some of the other posts here, where other people are fully aware of what's going on, too.
    Hey there Ol scratchie, You really need to teach me how to google then, Used 5-10minutes and all I could find was:

Someone out there is working on ANOTHER project in the trek verse, not a replacement.
    Discovery has not been cancelled and is waiting for renewal discussions.
    Youtuber(s) being all "this so bad its soooo getting cancelled and replaced by something else".

It's a good thing I don't have to post the links for where I got that info from since copy pasting one of them URLs is hard.
    If nothing else, could you post the keywords in your google search ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yeah, and Michael Bay's Transformers made billions. There's no accounting for taste.
    Well, I mean, this works both ways. I can equate people who like DS9 to people who like Bay's movies. I see your point, indeed.

Man, even comparing this show to BSG is inaccurate. BSG wasn't trying to be dark and gritty. It was simply trying to be human in contrast to the idealism of Trek.

But it was much more believable, and emotional, and well-written than this. Michael Burnham is supposed to be analgous to whom, Starbuck? Give me a break.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    And then there are a lot of those of us who think that DS9 was the worst one out of all of the shows because it was just some random nondescript broken-down space station out there in the ass-end of space, and it had the worst bad guys in the Star Trek universe (the Dominion), and it lacked the glamour and heroism and beauty and valor of a true main character; a space ship. In ToS and TNG, even Enterprise, and arguably even Voyager, the true main character of the show is the ship; the USS Enterprise (and Voyager), whilst DS9 as a station was about as interesting as a haphazardly built mud hut.

Star Trek, from ToS to the original movies, to TNG, and partially even Voyager, although less so Enterprise (which I believe was it's downfall), was all about these huge, grand scale adventures, where you travel through time, you fight the most powerful enemy in the Universe (whatever it might be at that moment), and so on. The Dominion was hugely uninteresting as an enemy, and combined with the fact that there was no "Excalibur" in the show, no "Mjölnir", no true shiny superweapon that everyone can look upon in awe; as in, no main character ship, it made DS9 about the most boring show ever. For those of us such as myself, that is. I do admit, though, that some people do think DS9 was the shit and the best of all of the Star Trek shows, but that's my point; it's a point of debate.

Lexx, Andromeda, Firefly, Red Dwarf, Farscape, Dark Matter, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Universe, Star Trek ToS, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek Enterprise, the list goes on and on. All shows with a main character (to a less of a degree with some of them), the ship. It just doesn't work with a space station. At least Discovery has this going for it, even if it's not really a Star Trek show.
    *cough*defiant*cough* DS9 has everything all other shows had and then some.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    *cough*defiant*cough* DS9 has everything all other shows had and then some.
    I feel, from your choice of a handle on these forums, that you might just be a tad biased.

But, fair enough. As said, it's a point of debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Then they don't know what they're doing because this looks nothing like the Prime Universe. They can say it all day long, but the show looks like it's a prequel to the JJverse, not the Prime Universe. Furthermore, there are so many things they've established that are just plain wrong for the timeline.
    Yeah i agree that it looks nothing like prime. The tech, how starfleet thinks ( more military) , how the klingons look, spocks sister. It all looks more like Jar Jar verse. Or a alternative past to it. And yes they fuck up the timeline in big ways.

But again they state its in the Prime timeline...( breaks my hearth to).
    The ONLY way most of it can be.....fixxed is like this:

- the klingons: They got the augment virus, they used surgery to correct it and went over board ( these klingon looks), by the end of this serie they found a cure but the means looking like humans for a generation or 2 ( TOS klingons), and then they become normal again.
    - discovery: Easy, looking at the badges...i would say section 31. They have always have different tech. Also fits with the less starfleet like approach of the captian.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why can't you people just accept that it's just how tech and klingons look. You know pretty well why they didn't copy the tech of TOS (TOS tech is LAME looking) and the "new" Klingons are just bald and improved versions of TNG Klingons. It doesn't matter that in TNG they have hair and look more human, it doesn't matter that in TOS they look like humans. It's all irrelevant. it's a TV show not a historical record.

I would've hated it if the tech looked like TOS tech. I'm impartial on Kllingons. Because to me they are just bald versions, which is better in my opinion.

Suspend your disbelief. You are not gonna watch TOS and TNG for the first time again. For a person who never watched Star Trek it would seem weird to watch all the shows in chronological order - but who cares about that anyway?

P.S. here look
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2017-10-03 at 09:32 AM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Why can't you people just accept that it's just how tech and klingons look.
    I have a feeling that it's largely due to their skin color, I'm afraid. There weren't that many, if any (I can't recall seeing one), pretty much fully black, as well as albino, klingons in the earlier shows and movies. People just have an expectation that all klingons have a brown/tan skin color, and seeing a completely ebon black one, as well as completely white one, is new and, for some people, off-putting.

Before the obvious happens, let me just point out that this isn't racism, even if we are talking about skin color. There are no racist connotations behind it, no "my race is superior to yours", or "your race is bad because X." It's just what people are used to seeing, and expect certain species to look a certain way. A bit like, if you saw, for example, a fully bright green ferengi, with human ears. You might be like, well, that's not what the ferengi look like.

Add to that them having very little hair, and they don't represent the image of a klingon that people have. Instead of the seven-foot-tall brown-skinned killing machines with curly hair that goes down to the waist, we've got these slick-skinned black and white creatures now. As for the ridges on their foreheads and their skull shapes and so on, I doubt that's the main reason necessarily. I think it's the skin color and hair, or lack thereof.

Obviously there's no reason we can't have klingons who shave their hair, or for some reason have no hair, and whose skin colors are way different from what we're used to seeing. I'm sure if you think about it, the klingon species probably has a multitude of races just like us humans do. But, it's not in the archetypal klingon image that has been established over several shows and movies, and as such, it can be weird, and off-putting, and there's nothing wrong with feeling like that.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Takes a bit to get used to the Klingon look. During the third episode, even after they showed the bat'leth, I didn't realize the dead looters were Klingons, instead the thought they sparked inside my head was "what are those new shiny aliens?". Burnhams "What the hell could do this to a dozen armed Klingons?" line snapped me back into "reality" of what the Klingons look like now.

Why can't you people just accept that it's just how tech and klingons look. You know pretty well why they didn't copy the tech of TOS (TOS tech is LAME looking) and the "new" Klingons are just bald and improved versions of TNG Klingons. It doesn't matter that in TNG they have hair and look more human, it doesn't matter that in TOS they look like humans. It's all irrelevant. it's a TV show not a historical record.

I would've hated it if the tech looked like TOS tech. I'm impartial on Kllingons. Because to me they are just bald versions, which is better in my opinion.

Suspend your disbelief. You are not gonna watch TOS and TNG for the first time again. For a person who never watched Star Trek it would seem weird to watch all the shows in chronological order - but who cares about that anyway?

P.S. here look
    I think they did a very good job in reworking the TOS look. I like Discovery so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumred View Post
    I think trek is at its best when it unshackles itself from that.
    Then that is not Star Trek. Why not create a new franchise?

P.S. here look
    That's a Klingon from Star Trek Into Darkness, btw.

The point (that the only real difference is the hair and skin color) still stands, though: