Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meowfurion View Post
    No, it starts by taking in more calorie sources than you expend.

Your body can't create fat unless it has a source for it.
    Yes, at a simplified level that is itand it is easy for thin people like me who can eat as much as we want without getting fat to judge but there are onvious significant individual differences in metabolisms, without even going into medicinal caused obesity and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'm not going to debate human biology (and, to be honest, psychology and anthropology), with someone who simply equates it with physics and leaves it at that. That's pointless.
    If I burn more calories than I intake, will I lose weight, gain weight, or stay the same? Sure there are more complex factors at work, but you seem to be purposely obtuse in regards to Foosha's point.

Talk to someone who frequents a gym, you'll see that diet is 80% and working out is the other 20%. You could eat junk food all day and work out at the gym and it will do very little. You have to eat healthy!!!! I'd be curious to see what the sugar intake is for most obese people and what eliminating that will do.

Quote Originally Posted by meowfurion View Post
    Are you or others in this thread trying to come up with excuses for people to not bother with dieting and exercise? I am still trying to find the genetic issue which causes people to "burn a stupidly low amount of calories" because that article has zero information on that topic. It simply says some people are genetically predisposed to gaining weight and some people are predisposed to losing it.

In ANY case, there isn't a single invididual on this earth (IN GENERAL, exceptions do occur, but rarely, very rarely, and I am not referring to them in any way) who won't benefit from increased exercise and calorie moderation.
    The issue is labeling someone lazy when they are putting as much or even more effort into losing weight than other people and it doesn't work for them. Eating properly and exercising is most likely good for everyone, but that doesn't mean it is enough for everyone. At least not in the same amounts we usually assume are enough.

I understand that creating exceptions gives reason to some people who are actually not putting enough effort to just conveniently give up and not feel bad about it. But if you don't consider that some people may need medical help or are doomed to never look like a movie star no matter how hard they try, they may live miserably for no good reason other than common misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Hard is not the same as complicated.
    To clarify, I'm in a "both are very simple" camp. One takes a lot of mental effort the other just requires PUTTING DOWN THE FORK. Damn.

:^)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I’m more along the line to think the traits of compusivity and traits for addictions are hereditary. My daughter has adhd pretty severely as does my husband. Im convinced she inherited it from him. There are some stature traits that are familiar. For example, shortness tallness, and general body types, scrawny or more stalky, muscular. I don’t however think just because your parents are obese that you are destined to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Yes, at a simplified level that is itand it is easy for thin people like me who can eat as much as we want without getting fat to judge but there are onvious significant individual differences in metabolisms, without even going into medicinal caused obesity and the likes.
    And that thin situation can easily change even for individuals. My brother used to be able to eat whatever he wanted when he was younger, as middle age approached be gained quite a bit of weight. His method to reduce was simply to eat only one large meal a day. Technically, his success is easily attributable to the feast and fast idea, he effectively fasts 23 hours a day when he's not eating his single large meal. It's also the case that he may be engaging a persistent calorie deficit, not sure. He's never complained to me of any of the signs of a reduction of his metabolic rate like being cold, tired, etc. The one meal he eats is HUGE, because one day when I watched him eat it I was taken aback by the sheer quantity of what he was eating and asked him what the hell he was doing.

It's just a fact that weight gain and weight loss takes on a different level of difficulty after approx age 25 for women and after age 30 for men. I've never really even seen that fact contested. If you are under those years of age, believe me when I say that your personal anecdotal knowledge about weight loss or gain is basically nonsense because young people simply have it easy - by far. Once you get passed those growing years, the body takes a very different turn. While you are young your body is giving you a pass. But not always, children are starting to have type 2 diabetes in large numbers - something is happening to us as a society that is bad for children. This change is unprecedented in human history.

For myself, I know what works and what doesn't work. I'll listen to others and hear them out about their experiences. But a lot of you jump into this and assume this is all "bing bang boom" and "easy peasy" while for many people and for a whole host of reasons it really isn't that simple.

I am convinced that what you eat and when you eat are critical. Physical activity has no significant meaning on weight loss and it is foolish to think you can regularly overeat and then "burn it off." You lose weight in the kitchen and get fit at the gym. Carbs will leave you hungry and make you hungrier on a constant binge and crash cycle. Fats, proteins, and fiber increase satiety and leave you sated.

I am quite convinced that an excess of processed foods and sugars (in all varieties to include sucrose, fructose, lactose, breads, pasts, grains, starches, etc - but Fructose is probably the worst) is incredibly deleterious to the body. Processed foods are quite heavy in added sugars, salts, binders, weird thickening agents, artificial colors, artificial flavors, etc. In short, food-like substances that really aren't food at all. Once you realize that in addition to all other faults that processed foods additionally remove fiber for longer shelf life and the reality settles in for real - the stuff is literally garbage. And sugars are toxic. Once upon a time, we ate small quantities of sugars and it wasn't a thing. Now sugars go by dozens of names and are in almost everything that isn't a whole food. So now it's a thing you need to avoid.

The processed food industry wants you to eat poorly and to be hungry, that's how they sell more units of products.

When you eat well and carefully, watch what and when you eat, and cook most of your own food from whole ingredients you are performing a revolutionary act that takes back your good health. It is cheaper and better for you to eat that way.

It is also harder to cook your own food and to eat that way and that's why many of you will not do it and lose this fight with processed food, toxic levels of sugars, and the battle of the bulge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    No it isnt. JUST EAT LESS. I fucking hate this blame anything and everything but me mentality of today. It's 100% YOUR fault you are obese (grown adults, not talking about said grown adults and making their children obese and stupid). It's not a cultural thing, everyone knows being grossly obese is bad for your health. Cigarettes were a cultural thing for decades and within 20ish years the tides were turned against it. Going to McDonalds is fine, going to McDonalds and consuming 2000 calories is NOT. It's not McDonalds fault the obese shithead thinks it's "ok" to get 4 hamburgers, ice cream and a soda drink.
    The amount of ignorance is strong in you, young padawan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    If you eat below your BMR...YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. Your bmr can change, but if you eat below it YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT
    Then you eat less because your BMR changed, then your body gets used to it and your BMR changes again, so you have to eat less again, then you start developing malnutrition related illnesses because you are eating so little.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Why would someone eat egg whites? Egg whites are empty calories.
    No they're not. They're 22% protein. Exceptionally good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    And that thin situation can easily change even for individuals. My brother used to be able to eat whatever he wanted when he was younger, as middle age approached be gained quite a bit of weight. His method to reduce was simply to eat only one large meal a day. Technically, his success is easily attributable to the feast and fast idea, he effectively fasts 23 hours a day when he's not eating his single large meal. It's also the case that he may be engaging a persistent calorie deficit, not sure. He's never complained to me of any of the signs of a reduction of his metabolic rate like being cold, tired, etc. The one meal he eats is HUGE, because one day when I watched him eat it I was taken aback by the sheer quantity of what he was eating and asked him what the hell he was doing.

It's just a fact that weight gain and weight loss takes on a different level of difficulty after approx age 25 for women and after age 30 for men. I've never really even seen that fact contested. If you are under those years of age, believe me when I say that your personal anecdotal knowledge about weight loss or gain is basically nonsense because young people simply have it easy - by far. Once you get passed those growing years, the body takes a very different turn. While you are young your body is giving you a pass. But not always, children are starting to have type 2 diabetes in large numbers - something is happening to us as a society that is bad for children. This change is unprecedented in human history.

For myself, I know what works and what doesn't work. I'll listen to others and hear them out about their experiences. But a lot of you jump into this and assume this is all "bing bang boom" and "easy peasy" while for many people and for a whole host of reasons it really isn't that simple.

I am convinced that what you eat and when you eat are critical. Physical activity has no significant meaning on weight loss and it is foolish to think you can regularly overeat and then "burn it off." You lose weight in the kitchen and get fit at the gym. Carbs will leave you hungry and make you hungrier on a constant binge and crash cycle. Fats, proteins, and fiber increase satiety and leave you sated.

I am quite convinced that an excess of processed foods and sugars (in all varieties to include sucrose, fructose, lactose, breads, pasts, grains, starches, etc - but Fructose is probably the worst) is incredibly deleterious to the body. Processed foods are quite heavy in added sugars, salts, binders, weird thickening agents, artificial colors, artificial flavors, etc. In short, food-like substances that really aren't food at all. Once you realize that in addition to all other faults that processed foods additionally remove fiber for longer shelf life and the reality settles in for real - the stuff is literally garbage. And sugars are toxic. Once upon a time, we ate small quantities of sugars and it wasn't a thing. Now sugars go by dozens of names and are in almost everything that isn't a whole food. So now it's a thing you need to avoid.

The processed food industry wants you to eat poorly and to be hungry, that's how they sell more units of products.

When you eat well and carefully, watch what and when you eat, and cook most of your own food from whole ingredients you are performing a revolutionary act that takes back your good health. It is cheaper and better for you to eat that way.

It is also harder to cook your own food and to eat that way and that's why many of you will not do it and lose this fight with processed food, toxic levels of sugars, and the battle of the bulge.
    My point was precisely that you can't simplify the getting fat phenomenon based on anecdotal evidence, sorry for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    Then you eat less because your BMR changed, then your body gets used to it and your BMR changes again, so you have to eat less again, then you start developing malnutrition related illnesses because you are eating so little.
    BMR can change sure, but it can never go lower than what your body needs to survive, the definition of BMR is the basic caloric needs for your heart, breathing, brain etc... So it WILL stabilize, it cant go to 0 because than you'd be dead.

It will inevitably go down because when you start losing weight your vitals dont have to work as hard like breathing, pumping blood, excreting toxins etc etc, hence lowering your BMR

Malnutrition will occur anyways if you just eat your BMR since no one is truly at rest 24 hours unless you are in a coma

Three causes of obesity:
    1. Stupid/ignorant
    2. Lazy
    3. Don't care

P.s. genetic arguments are especially hilarious considering how not so long ago obesity was practically unheard of. Where did these genes magically come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Allerius View Post
    not so long ago obesity was practically unheard of
    Read more history books.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    Ok, what about junk food? Is that an expression that you understand? It was an article about how food giants (Nestlè, Coca Cola and others), seeing the developed world as a saturated market, were investing for some years now on poor regions of developing countries, bringing their food by means of house to house saleswomen who received training in nutrition in order to convince themselves and their clients that the food they were selling was all that you needed, so they created entire communities who were feeding themselves and their children almost exclusively with junk food/processed food/industrialized food or whatever you want to call the food those companies produce.

The companies defended themselves saying they have a large range of "healthy" food, but in reality, those costumers only bought a very narrow selection of food and started presenting all the symptoms of malnourishment while getting fatter, and when those children became teenagers and young adults, even with change of habits they would still keep getting fat.

I tried finding the article I read, but couldn't find it. Take it whatever way you like.
    Again, you are using vague terms without meaning...like junk food. Then you round up the usual suspects (nestle, coca cola, walmart, monsanto...pick one.) Lastly you make a bunch of unsubstantiated claims.

Lets take Coke for example. They have a calorie free version of virtually everything they make but people believe in crap they read on the www about how sweeteners cause cancer, infertility, diabetes and quite possibly is one of the signs of the apocalypse. Then coke gets blamed for making people fat.

Next time you are at McD, order 2 big macs and a diet drink, it is actually pretty healthy. We all know that fries and sugar is bad but it is so easy to eliminate them.
    Or you can do what I do and order a double quarter pounder with cheese, XL fries with a strawberry shake but only go there a few times a year.

Nestle is a humongous corporation who care more about their shareholders than they do for you or your fat ass. If you are going to blame them for your misfortunes you better be prepared to stay fat. The only way people will lose weight is if they own their problems and fix them. It is much easier to fix your attitude to life than to fix Nestle.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Nestle is a humongous corporation
    No lies there. They operate in every country in the world. King of adaptation. The one true example of capitalism working for everyone.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-10-04 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Read more history books.
    ? Are you implying obesity rates were anywhere near 30% in the 19th century???

? Are you implying obesity rates were anywhere near 30% in the 19th century???
    For rich folks, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Not everyone is the same.

Here's my story:

I was fat literally the day I was born. I was 10 pounds 6 ounces, my doctor called me King Kong. My parents said that as a toddler I would eat literally anything in sight. Some of my earliest memories are of my parents trying to control my eating, and my dad already making me feel uncomfortable about my weight (he's Catholic so his approach to anything is to make you feel ashamed about it). I have 4 siblings who are all average weight so it's not about how I was raised. Something is just off with how my body works, when I feel full and when I crave food, and it's been a struggle my whole life. In school I worked out for 2 hours a day for about 10 years (varsity athlete in college) and that helped control my weight. Once I got a full time job working at a desk for 60 hours I gained 5 pounds a year for 10 years. I'm still "in shape" for my weight, I work out 3 times a week at the gym and I play rec volleyball and basketball regularly, but it's tough and obviously my weight is a problem. I recently changed careers and part of my motivation was to find something where I can be more active because with my metabolism if I sit I'm gaining weight. It's not like a binging thing, it's just a gradual thing that happens over a very long period of time.

The thing you don't understand is how tough it is to lose weight when your body is constantly telling you that you're hungry because your metabolism is off, like mine is. I overeat when I'm tired and pulling a late night at work. I overeat when I'm stressed. It's just something with how my body works that again, is different from yours.

What's interesting about overweight people is that it's the one group that people feel ok with shaming. People feel like they know what they're talking about while ignoring that there are genetic components to this that are very hard to control. I'm not an "obese shithead thinks it's "ok" to get 4 hamburgers, ice cream and a soda drink." But because you put all overweight people in that same bucket, it's easier for you to judge them. Please be more open minded and realize that you don't know everything.
    Bro hate to break it to you but your ingrained habits are just psychological. Eat 5 full stalks of broccoli a day and then anything else you want, tell me how the weight loss goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    For rich folks, yes.
    Assuming that's true, which I doubt it is that still doesn't explain how the other 99% of people went to a 30% obesity rate due to "hereditary factors".

doesn't explain how the other 99% of people went to a 30% obesity rate due to "hereditary factors".
    My uneducated guess would be a combination of evolution and food ingredients that exist now that didn't exist then and overeating as well as sedentary jobs/recreation.

Ask scientists or become a scientist if you want an educated guess.
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-10-04 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Sure, there's nothing physiologically going on here. It's all in my head. I'm just lazy. Or something.

I don't understand how you can be so confident about something that the scientific community isn't. I mean, you're clearly full of shit and just trying to piss people off to make yourself look good. What's the point?

I agree that if I eat less I weigh less. Obviously. But that is much, much harder for some people to do than others, largely due to physiological issues.
    What is the scientific community unconfident about? If you think there's any uncertainty about how to lose weight scientifically you've been sorely misled. Eat less calories. I get that you get hungry so that's why I suggested eating a low calorie fibrous vegetable like brocolli to kill the hunger. You ever eat one of those big stalks? They make you full fast. Whatever physiological factors you're talking about are either (99.9%) made up in your head or (0.1%) mean you need to work even harder. What's the problem?