Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    He's probably already well aware that his income from creating DBM will not last until he turns old and grey haired. Dude probably has a back up plan or is more than qualified to get a different job if his addon no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    I think providing a crutch here kind of negates the point of the extra difficulty. I don't really care one way or another if the mod stays or goes... I just think it is odd that people fear what difficulty will become without it.
    It isn’t the extra difficulty, I assumed the premise was that the difficulty would decrease to be the same without using it. My point was that there would be less mechanics and less interesting fights. I would rather have a crutch and balance 4 mechanics than no crutch and 2 mechanics (assuming difficulty was normalized)
    "Peace is a lie"

7+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I would not mind if I had to get use to no boss mods but I can definitely tell a difference in my play after using them for so long. I feel constantly on edge with a vague idea of when abilities will come but I cannot be certain without the timer giving me a advanced warning. It would just take some time getting use to playing without things like DBM.

As for the play base as a whole this seems like a poor idea with the majority of the player base. Some people have mentioned in the thread before about how some people do not have the best awareness with addons so removing things like DBM would just hinder these players further. I would say DBM type addons enable a lot of people to raid at the very least on Normal if not most/all of Heroic, so removing them would be very limiting to a decent amount of players.

IF something was going to be done about DBM it would probably be minor things such as the /range changes, nothing big like removing timers or the voices shouting at me to run away like a little girl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    They would have to lower the bar on some mechanics specially Mythic. Otherwise many fights would be impossible.
    Call me a purist but the entire game should always be designed around mods not existing.

Deleted
    DBM is a crutch, and in a competitive game where every advantage is used in order to stay competitive it's a crutch that desperately needs to be kicked away.
    You'd kick the crutches away from people that need them to walk too, I imagine. They should probably just learn to walk properly on their own, their body has the tools for them to do so. You can walk fine, so why should they have crutches? Fucking shits and their fucking crutches.

Then they would have to break weakauras aswell.

Edit: and nah, I don't think they should do it. It's not like it's pulling you out of shit or pressing buttons for you, just helping to maximise performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Nobody is stopping you to play Elemental casually during questing or raiding #1000 with your disabled mage friends.

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    It isn’t the extra difficulty, I assumed the premise was that the difficulty would decrease to be the same without using it. My point was that there would be less mechanics and less interesting fights. I would rather have a crutch and balance 4 mechanics than no crutch and 2 mechanics (assuming difficulty was normalized)

But you aren't much of a factor in those two extra mechanics if it requires DBM to defeat them, so why bother?

And from another angle, where does it end? In ten years will you be saying, "I love the difficulty of 8 mechanics in a boss fight, because we could only do 2 without DBM". At that point DBM would basically be raiding for you... So at what point does it stop being you doing most of the work?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    This would just cause players to use external software for boss timers and such probably.
    Um, isn't that what DBM IS? External software?

Why do bad players always want to break DBM/BigWigs and call it a crutch and shit?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Nope, DBM is run in-game(an addon), something like SimulationCraft is external software. So someone would probably just make an external program for you to turn timers on with a hotkey on a boss you selected beforehand whenever you pull. It might also use the hotkey for switching between phases and such if a phase depends on boss HP.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Umm no? How do you not know what DBM is? Its part of WoW's addon system.

And no it should not be broken.

Weak Auras is a significantly more impactful addon in trivializing fights than DBM/BigWigs

If they were to destroy an addon it would be that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    So you mean go back to Vanilla Style fights where DBM and the like addons barely existed and/or used?

Yeah, no thanks.
    fights a lot more complex than vanilla's can be done without DBM, so no.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    And yet they'll break it and still make fights that need it, Blizzard insisted on breaking the WAs for Spellblade and Star Augur and make fights in ToS that are designed pretty much the same.
    None of those fights remotely require WA.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    But you aren't much of a factor in those two extra mechanics if it requires DBM to defeat them, so why bother?

And from another angle, where does it end? In ten years will you be saying, "I love the difficulty of 8 mechanics in a boss fight, because we could only do 2 without DBM". At that point DBM would basically be raiding for you... So at what point does it stop being you doing most of the work?
    Just my opinion that's all. I like where boss fights are now. Not emotionally attached anyway, I only log in on raid days
    "Peace is a lie"

No, because then we'd end up with ONLY fights designed around "what can Average Joe LFR-hero trying out a higher difficulty keep track of at any given time"...

Even the highest difficulty, Mythic, would need to be designed around a limiting factor of "what can people keep track of" rather than what they want the fight to be. LFR and Normal = for the people wanting a WoW life free from any sort of performance requirements and addons helping during boss encounters. Of course, they could cut one of those but that's another discussion.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-10-03 at 10:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hlokk101 View Post
    You'd kick the crutches away from people that need them to walk too, I imagine. They should probably just learn to walk properly on their own, their body has the tools for them to do so. You can walk fine, so why should they have crutches? Fucking shits and their fucking crutches.
    LFR exists for a reason. So does Normal. Plenty of people play those, and have fun doing so. The fact is that it doesn't matter what level you raid at as long as you have fun. That's a completely different matter.

Play at the difficulty level that you are able to It's completely stupid to design the competitive and intentionally difficult part of a game around using 3rd party assistance addons.

Here's the thing: people have raided with DBM for so long that they've forgotten how to raid without it. It's completely possible to raid without DBM, you just have to think and pay attention more - which is kind of the whole fucking point of hard difficulties.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-10-03 at 10:49 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunaqt View Post
    Weak Auras is a significantly more impactful addon in trivializing fights than DBM/BigWigs

If they were to destroy an addon it would be that.
    As much as I would hate for it to happen, I agree if Blizzard were to break any addons it will be Weak Auras or break the ability for Weak Auras to track anything in a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltin View Post
    All of you are entitled to your opinions, I have mine, of course. But please consider the other side of this.

DBM is his full time job. All of his income from DBM is able to sustain his life. Are you all comfortable killing someone's income because of your personal preference towards an optional add on?
    Yes, I am perfectly comfortable with it. Making a living from mods for other people's games comes with those risks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daltin View Post
    So you are in fact comfortable with eliminating someone's wages because of something you can easily avoid?
    I use Bigwigs =S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Otherwise many fights would be impossible.
    Lies.
    First iteration of the fight are always done WITHOUT any dbm for it.