Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    If this is all you took from my post then I don't feel sorry for you too.
    The rest just came across as a very long-winded, kinda dull justification to force gay people back into the closet. *shrug*
    If the world is supposed to be homophobic, it's up to straight characters to reflect that. If you believe homophobia is supposed to be the norm on Azeroth, it's on you to roleplay a homophobic character. Don't stuff your OOC politics into my IC escapist passtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    The rest just came across as a very long-winded, kinda dull justification to force gay people back into the closet. *shrug*
    If the world is supposed to be homophobic, it's up to straight characters to reflect that. If you believe homophobia is supposed to be the norm on Azeroth, it's on you to roleplay a homophobic character. Don't stuff your OOC politics into my IC escapist passtime.
    RL =/= Fantasy world.

It has nothing to do with gays irl, it's about being faithful to game lore, the portrayal of race and things like that. You're the one that pushing RL politics to fantasy world that doesn't deal with this stuff at all.

That was the whole point.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by Ramz View Post
    RL =/= Fantasy world.

It has nothing to do with gays irl, it's about being faithful to game lore, the portrayal of race and things like that. You're the one that pushing RL politics to fantasy world that doesn't deal with this stuff at all.

That was the whole point.
    Then by all means, do cite where exactly it says definitively that gay people don't exist in the lore.
    RP within an established setting is always filling in the blanks left by the official writers. A gay couple sitting on a bench next to the Cathedral is no more or less canon than a straight couple sitting on a bench next to the Cathedral. You can't decide one has more right to be there than the other.

Neither of us can claim with absolute certainty how each of the races would look upon homosexuality because neither of us have any concrete proof in favour or against our stances. We also don't know how, for example, white-skinned Stormwind humans look upon dark-skinned Tanaris humans. Does that mean there is racism in WoW? Can you tell? I can't.

I was gonna list a few examples of close allusions to gay couples, but a quick googling gave me this, so make of that what you will.

There's also a female human and a female dwarf in the Alliance shrine, with the same last name, doing /flirt emotes at each other. Insisting that gay people don't exist in WoW lore seems silly at best.

Deleted
    The game is not focused on this kind of relations and if you're role playing just to show off a sexual orientation that you are proud of... Then why are you role playing in here to begin with ?
    Sounds like being invited in a fantastic city, full of activities of all kinds, yet only using the hotel for some... Low purposes.

RP already is a niche activity so having it deal about this sort of things is supposed to be even less appropriate. This is why some quests might have such allusions but they are extremely rare compared to the large background of the game.
    Of course there can be gay couples or whatever, but most people don't even notice it because it's pointless in a world that has infinitely more to tell.
    Last edited by mmocff9ad3f61f; 2017-10-04 at 11:59 AM.

Then by all means, do cite where exactly it says definitively that gay people don't exist in the lore.
    RP within an established setting is always filling in the blanks left by the official writers. A gay couple sitting on a bench next to the Cathedral is no more or less canon than a straight couple sitting on a bench next to the Cathedral. You can't decide one has more right to be there than the other.

Neither of us can claim with absolute certainty how each of the races would look upon homosexuality because neither of us have any concrete proof in favour or against our stances. We also don't know how, for example, white-skinned Stormwind humans look upon dark-skinned Tanaris humans. Does that mean there is racism in WoW? Can you tell? I can't.

I was gonna list a few examples of close allusions to gay couples, but a quick googling gave me this, so make of that what you will.

There's also a female human and a female dwarf in the Alliance shrine, with the same last name, doing /flirt emotes at each other. Insisting that gay people don't exist in WoW lore seems silly at best.
    I didn't say that it's entierly impossible either. I was annoyed with tumblr trends that people push to WoW. With night elves it's understandable as they're martrialchal society wherea lot of the males went to slumber for many years.

But I'm mostly talking about races that are known from their closemindness, for lack of tolerance for slightly different stuff. Humans in WoW are quite like humans IRL, but the point of having various races, with different cultures, priorities and mindsets which should force people to actually play this out.

There is a difference between carefully crafted character and let's say orc running around with description that he is trans, queer or whatever is now trending. That is just cringy as fuck. especially when they had quite a lot of info regarding orcish cuture with various books and quests in game to get rough idea if that is even a thing among them.

But truly whatever, I don't play on RP realms anymore and I don't witness any of that stuf.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiastrel View Post
    The game is not focused on this kind of relations and if you're role playing just to show off a sexual orientation that you are proud of... Then why are you role playing in here to begin with ?
    Sounds like being invited in a fantastic city, full of activities of all kinds, yet only using the hotel for some... Low purposes.

RP already is a niche activity so having it deal about this sort of things is supposed to be even less appropriate. This is why some quests might have such allusions but they are extremely rare compared to the large background of the game.
    Of course there can be gay couples or whatever, but most people don't even notice it because it's pointless in a world that has infinitely more to tell.
    Why is it that gay characters are automatically assumed to be there for sexual reasons, but when a character is straight, expresses romantic interest in someone of the opposite gender, and has a fulfilling romantic arc with them, nobody bats an eye?
    Romantic RP is a thing. It's one aspect of a character. Romance is an important part of the day-to-day life, AND the small scale intense moments stories are made of. Why can't gay characters roleplay gay relationships? What is that such a big deal?

Really? You geniunely can't tell that there is racism in WoW?

Huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Let's pivot the discussion away from real-world issues and/or politics and return to the thread's purpose, the discussion of whether or not RP is still a phenomenon in WoW.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Ironically its only half true, he missed the "edgy realistic game of thrones wannabies who dont want any fantasy in their fantasy".
    I also think he forgets the peoplle blessed by the gods who cause fights all day yet are immune to all types of magic thanks to lumenstone and truesilver armor and insanely strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

US here, ED is having major trouble. If you have characters there, Horde really needs players. They have 2 guilds and WSB Remnant Guilds running the show.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    I very much would like for RP to still be a thing. I actually leveled a character on Moonguard precisely for the purpose of getting into RP. Yet aside from the horror that is the Goldshire Inn, I've not seen any actual RP happening on the server, and I'm struggling to find RP guilds who are a) active, and b) willing to take in new people who are just starting with roleplaying in WoW.

So maybe it's still a thing? But not very common anymore, unfortunately.
    Try Stormwind? Or...anywhere that isn't Goldshire?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    Really? You geniunely can't tell that there is racism in WoW?

Huh.
    Racism in wow likely is divided between actual physical race. Think: Garithos. Was fine with humans, anything not a human was treated like dirt

Deleted
    I wish we could play WoW in a constant RP. I'd be a bloodelf priestess who always gets her prophecies wrong and lose bets with people about the future and be poor and have to depend on nice adventurers to pay my debts thus accumulating more debts. Tons of neverending fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Syriane View Post
    I wish we could play WoW in a constant RP. I'd be a bloodelf priestess who always gets her prophecies wrong and lose bets with people about the future and be poor and have to depend on nice adventurers to pay my debts thus accumulating more debts. Tons of neverending fun.
    Make it a story. Gather a few likeminded individuals and you can make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

Honestly the only way to play this game anymore for me is to have a story behind my character. Otherwise it's about as boring as it can be.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

I don't know about RP servers in US, but Argent Dawn is pretty much all female chars who are incidentally pregnant or lesbians. Can't take the whole scene serious anymore.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

I’ve seen a lot of RP on moonguard/AD when I went just to see how everything is (couple days ago). This isn’t counting any of that weird shit you see in goldshire.

There’s a lot of RP that happens outside of main areas. I’ve seen a ton in hearthglen, duskwood, redridge, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Im going to be bluntly, brutally, traumatically honest...

Yes-and-no.

Is RP still a thing in the sense people still RP on videogames frequently? Yes.

Has the quality decayed over time and become toxic/isolated/stagnant, Yes.

RP communities on most mmo's these days are "pocket communities" as I like to call them, sensetive little social bubbles afraid of anyone joining the pack so you find it hard to feel welcome because theres a strong hostility to newcommers or old returners.

The RP community in my opinion is one of the most toxic in mmo's in general, but on WoW? Even more so... especially, on AD.

AD Horde, not so much, but AD Alliance, ho boy... Night Elf RP is a nightmare, Stormwind RP is extremely insular and any RP beyond it is... as I said, pocket community "get off ma lawn" kind of mentality.

At this point, you either join a guild, or find something non mmo based to RP on.

There are what I like to call "tavern RP" groups that appear but I wouldnt call that RP, its more like random people that rp, standing in a tavern the same way a goldshirean stands in a tavern, waiting for someone to pm them, talk to them, chat with them or take any notice of them.

The saddest part is this group is again, pocket community, because depending on if you find an open minded rper or not is a luck-of-the-draw scenerio, many of which want specifically to lead on their RP into ERP (im not prude but it is fairly common to see people do this).

So if you want the long run down, is RP still around? Yes.

Is it worth comming back to...

Unless your into specific things, or trying to find a way to fit into everyones social bubble/join their guild, then no, its really not.

Also, regarding RP server....

Well honestly, GW2 tried, ESO tried, Wildstar tried, evidently "Megaservers" where theres no means of Rpers congrigating dont really work out well since they dont help newplayers find other RPers.

Simply put, any game that doesnt have an RP server tag is going to suffer a severe lack of RP unless you find the fansite where everyone goes to to find it.
    Does bubble RP exist, yes.

Is it a problem, to some extend yes.

Is it as bad as you describe it, no not anywhere near it.

Is everyday social RP a lesser form of RP than playing action hero out in the world, absolutely no, in many ways on the contrary.

It's more truly character developing in many ways and has a lot more to do with the actual meaning of RP'ing than slaying monsters.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for necroing this thread a teeny tiny bit, but I thought it would be better if I would ask here than in a seperate threat.

All my WoW life (10+ years) I only did experience the lore throughout books and WoWpedia and whilst I enjoy it, I always had the urge to truely experience Azeroth through the eyes of a character - ergo RPing. But I was always a raider and so I didn't care about actively playing characters and only had headcanon for my chars.

Now after my guild did disband and I might suffer from RA (Rheumatic arthritis for anyone wondering), I'm actually thinking about slowing down and enjoy the game differently.
    But before I move to a roleplay server (EU player; was thinking about Argent Dawn), I wondered if I can experience things I do expect there. I mean things like having a good time in a tavern (I don't mean Goldshire!), where wenches bring weary travellers and drunkards some of the finest or worst brews; where a group of experienced adventurers storm an enemy bastion aka do raid but RP at the same time. Town guards inspecting suspects - I could go on and on.

Basically I thought of a living, breathing world where we aren't the "champions", but are taking on the lives of the basic population of the playable races.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertel Wobblespring View Post
    Does bubble RP exist, yes.

Is it a problem, to some extend yes.

Is it as bad as you describe it, no not anywhere near it.

Is everyday social RP a lesser form of RP than playing action hero out in the world, absolutely no, in many ways on the contrary.

It's more truly character developing in many ways and has a lot more to do with the actual meaning of RP'ing than slaying monsters.
    I might be inclined to agree if your statement reflected reality rather than an idyllic vision.

Most of the everyday RP is akin to a soap opera, it can be decent filler but nothing elevating.

Same thing where a lot of adventure guild RP ends up as /roll spam events where the players cannot lose or else people will whine OOC. Can't even expect people to not try to instantly heal any wounds received because they cannot carry consequences outside for the life of them.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SushiAce View Post
    Sorry for necroing this thread a teeny tiny bit, but I thought it would be better if I would ask here than in a seperate threat.

All my WoW life (10+ years) I only did experience the lore throughout books and WoWpedia and whilst I enjoy it, I always had the urge to truely experience Azeroth through the eyes of a character - ergo RPing. But I was always a raider and so I didn't care about actively playing characters and only had headcanon for my chars.

Now after my guild did disband and I might suffer from RA (Rheumatic arthritis for anyone wondering), I'm actually thinking about slowing down and enjoy the game differently.
    But before I move to a roleplay server (EU player; was thinking about Argent Dawn), I wondered if I can experience things I do expect there. I mean things like having a good time in a tavern (I don't mean Goldshire!), where wenches bring weary travellers and drunkards some of the finest or worst brews; where a group of experienced adventurers storm an enemy bastion aka do raid but RP at the same time. Town guards inspecting suspects - I could go on and on.

Basically I thought of a living, breathing world where we aren't the "champions", but are taking on the lives of the basic population of the playable races.
    I play on AD and what you are describing is way too idealistic. From experience:

- No there are no tavern events with pretty wenches serving ale. Most you could find is that awkward guy, guildless probably, that RPs as a mercenary or something and has a scar over his left cheek (they always do).

- I haven't come across any sieges or bastion storming, but there some *mild* PvP events that are GUILD organised. This is not necessarily going after the opposite faction, more than defending or driving back the opposing forces. Do not expect to roll in on Honourable Kills during this. Personally, I had the most fun with this kind of RP.

- I think Stormwind has Guard RP, but I do not know how active they are, and any dealings with them has not been my cup of tea. To put it eloquently on today's youth's lingo, it's kind of cringy and not good.

Be warned though: there's A LOT of bubble RP, meaning people RPing and pretty much ignoring your very presence. This plagues AD so much, to the point where it does isolate everyone. I do really suggest finding an active guild that suits your standards and take part into events. Co-organising events with other guilds is a lot of fun too.
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738