Page 33 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    Yes, and it's interesting that while she seemed correct about what would happen, and despite the conflict was started by the Klingons, she was still seen as a warmonger, captain was disappointed in her, and Saru was afraid of her because of that, even though he holds her in high regard.
    I suppose the impact she had on the people outside the crew was more due to the war that started there and her apparently being the first mutineer in the Starfleet, rather than the act itself.
    Yep. I like it so far despite my annoyance about retconned inconsistencies from later series. I was a bit worried about Tilly as she was really annoying at the start but seemed way less annoying by the end. Plus Lorca seems pretty good. I'm now sort of wishing that he was the main character. I'm looking forward to seeing where he goes. There was a line he said to Stamet that made me laugh (think he was being a bit sarky to him)but I'd need to go back and see it again.

I think the information about what happened wouldn't be general knowledge which is why the convicts thought she was responsible for starting the war. Reminds me a bit of the Minbari/Earth war which was started by a mistake, but in this case stopping her firing may have been the mistake rather than accidentally firing which happened in B5
    Last edited by Jodmos; 2017-10-03 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodmos View Post
    Plus Lorca seems pretty good. I'm now sort of wishing that he was the main character.
    Yes, I like that actor, so seeing him in the show was a really nice surprise for me. I hope he stays for good.

I may not have been clear first time but I clearly said within a ship second time so again, my point stands (the example you gave, as only one is TOS, was not within a ship). And Scotty and Spock clearly state the risk involved in an inter ship transport (appearing inside something such as a wall). It's very hard to believe in a lower state of tech (the shenzhou, and older ship had a precursor tech version of transporters so tech was changing) that they would have risked that for something as simple as what happened in Discovery when they could have just as easily walked there. Not like there was a rush or strategically important reason to take that risk.

But go ahead and take the words from memory Alpha without any context. After all Context is King.
    Its pretty easy to beam somebody into a wall that's outside a ship. Sorry if that's hard to grasp. You can either scan the area that you're targeting or you can't.

I'm disappointed that I almost missed watching this show, because 99% of people on imdb reviews were thrashing it. I guess nothing can quite bring you down like fanatics of your own universe.

If you're a casual sci-fi fan like me, and not a fanatic that will nitpick everything that most people wouldn't let ruin their enjoyment of the show, I can tell you that you will probably enjoy this show, just like I do. Especially since I was struggling to find any of the "horrible acting, horrible story, sjw characters, cant tell people apart, i can judge the spirit and writing of the show after 2 episodes" bullshit I've read before I gave this show a chance.

Still early to tell, but based on the 3 episodes I've seen so far, this show could be better than the Expanse by the end of the season. And I love the Expanse.
    Its not bad. It has potential. The biggest beefs i have; they(cbs) want it to be cannon. But in the first 3 episode's they broke cannon atleast 5 times per show.
    And people should be mad about it ( the cannon part). Its like everyone watching harry potter movies, and then without explanation harry is called Hestrix, he becomes a cave troll with 3 feet on his head and only talks in gollum/dobby speech.
    They should have gone for a alternative universe.

But looking past that part of the story. What is great about it:
    - the story is nice. War, federation is looking for a edge.
    - CGI is top notch.
    - Same for practical sets.
    - Acting on the most part great.
    - Story telling is also nice. A nice pacing.
    - good fighting.

The bad ( again not mentioning the cannon mistake's):
    - the acting is great but: Just do not like the acting Sonequa Martin. It seems....stale...i do not know how to describe it...its just weird.
    - i hope they bring the klingons back more. Because they killed ( spoilers) a person and you do not see his replacement yet.
    - Seeing the combat in space so far...i doubt we will get big real space battle's....and that saddens me.
    - So much humans....ugh...freaking pink skins. Where is one of the more know star trek species crew members. Like vulcan, andorian etc. Its all humans and 1 alien as main cast...Would love to have seen a andorian crew member.

How can they fix the cannon mistakes:

- spocks sister: She shame's her family so much ( even for vulcan standards) that they do not talk about it.
    - Klingons ( i have said this before): Augment virus happens ( star trek enterprise) > klingons go full cosmetic surgery ( star trek discovery) > klingons find out they need to let the virus run its course/take medication. it causes them to look more human (TOS) > medication/running its course has done its work they are back to normal ( tng)
    - The discovery: Seeing the batches ( and several people have said this before) it might be that its a section 31 ship.
    - the weird science: Because its section 31 they are outside the law and do weird stuff. And why we do not know about it because it failed/is to dangerous so they delete all info about it.
    - the newer tech vs tos: again section 31 secret stuff. And maybe some tech changes caused starfleet to give up fancy screens. So they have more power for weapons/shields/propulsion etc.

Btw...anyone think the captian may end up being Garth?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Its pretty easy to beam somebody into a wall that's outside a ship. Sorry if that's hard to grasp. You can either scan the area that you're targeting or you can't.
    Think both of you are wrong.

Jodmos is right old tech could not do that. ( beam inside the ship). It has nothing to do with scanning..its just like trying to cross the street with a F1 car by ramming down on the throttle. It will not work.

But you are right. Its a remake or maybe its a section 31 ship and they have the tech to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Its not bad. It has potential. The biggest beefs i have; they(cbs) want it to be cannon. But in the first 3 episode's they broke cannon atleast 5 times per show.
    And people should be mad about it ( the cannon part). Its like everyone watching harry potter movies, and then without explanation harry is called Hestrix, he becomes a cave troll with 3 feet on his head and only talks in gollum/dobby speech.
    I understand that there is continuity to consider, but I can't relate to "this ship is more advanced" or "this race looks a bit different" being valid excuses for not giving this show a chance.
    And you are free to find the differences and argue that they've made mistakes, but many were thrashing the show as a whole because of that, which I think is unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

You're making an assumption about the scanners. It's quite possible internal scanners couldn't work that way but external could hence why the only TOS era occurence was between two off ship locations (not saying they are just pointing out an equally feasible interpretation). Plus in another example they beamed the person to the ship then immediately to the second location before they could do anything about being beamed (this was clearly the case in the episode). The example given on memory Alpha (Tepo) doesn't categorically show that it was from A to B directly without the beam to the enterprise in between. It also doesn't say it didn't do that either. It's impossible to tell from that episode.

We know that Scotty and Spock said it was a very dangerous thing to try as that was in the show and as far as I'm concerned something explained in an actual episode trumps everything else.

It will also not be the last time this show contradicts established lore.
    Last edited by Jodmos; 2017-10-04 at 12:22 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lorca/Burnham used site to site transporting. They couldn't do that in TOS so that shouldn't be there and that is way more annoying as it suggests they didn't look at old series.
    Sure they could, it's the same technology. Just because they didn't use it or didn't use it a lot for you to remember doesn't mean they couldn't, unless they explicitly said it was impossible, to which I would reply - bad writing.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

The horrific:
    The continuity

The bad:
    Most of the main cast acting
    The writing

The mediocre:
    The visuals

The good:
    The supporting cast
    The opening credits

I'm disappointed, but I've seen far worse.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

It will also not be the last time this show contradicts established lore.
    Yeah, no shit. It's as if Star Trek isn't a fucking documentary and writers have been fudging the technobabble since day one. Anything from the significance (or not) of Warp 10+, to the power of their computers and weapons are all subject to the whim of the writers and what they want to have the characters accomplish or be threatened by in any given situation. Because it's fiction. Obviously.

Next time you're watching an episode of Star Trek, and someone requests that they be beamed directly to sick bay, be sure to come to the forums and freak out over how the writers would dare to so casually disregard the LORE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yeah, no shit. It's as if Star Trek isn't a fucking documentary and writers have been fudging the technobabble since day one. Anything from the significance (or not) of Warp 10+, to the power of their computers and weapons are all subject to the whim of the writers and what they want to have the characters accomplish or be threatened by in any given situation. Because it's fiction. Obviously.

Next time you're watching an episode of Star Trek, and someone requests that they be beamed directly to sick bay, be sure to come to the forums and freak out over how the writers would dare to so casually disregard the LORE.
    The hilarious thing in my case is whenever they do not use teleportation technology to speed the things up - I go "what the fuck just beam them over no need to use a turbo-lift during red alert, save the precious time", but we all know why they don't - it's too easy, no sense of immediate danger, no suspense.

But then lorenerds use this to make silly claims how it's impossible.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I understand that there is continuity to consider, but I can't relate to "this ship is more advanced" or "this race looks a bit different" being valid excuses for not giving this show a chance.
    And you are free to find the differences and argue that they've made mistakes, but many were thrashing the show as a whole because of that, which I think is unfair.
    I agree with you ( i said it in my previous response). Just saying if the show keeps going on about being part of the story and then breaking the rules etc of the story kinda breaks the story. And yeah they are thrashing it for no good reason. I am just saying i know where they are coming from.
    But they should give it a change..for the most people GoT was a rude, rapy show and i grew out to be a great show. Westworld is the same.

Just saying if the show keeps going on about being part of the story and then breaking the rules etc of the story kinda breaks the story.
    The show hasn't actually done that, though. To my knowledge, there's been nothing in the show so far that screams "Hey guyz, this is the Prime Universe!" The showrunners may have said that it's intended to be set in that timeline, but they've yet to make a big deal about it (or even bring it up) on screen. And short of the obligatory time travel story arc, or Barclay holodeck shenanigans, I doubt it's going to be an issue for a while...if ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    And short of the obligatory time travel story arc, or Barclay holodeck shenanigans, I doubt it's going to be an issue for a while...if ever.
    You mean, Broccoli, right? oh wait...

They have:
    ( from memory alpha)
    Promotion
    The show's title was revealed by Bryan Fuller at the San Diego Comic-Con on 23 July 2016 with a clip of the title ship, the USS Discovery (NCC-1031). [81] [82] The promo was produced in three weeks and scored by Fil Eisler as an audition for the show. It greatly resembled concept art for the canceled film Star Trek: Planet of the Titans, which the staff could not confirm at the time for legal reasons. [83]

USS Enterprise, Planet of the Titans, aft
    Concept art for Star Trek: Planet of the Titans
    Fuller also announced, at a press junket immediately thereafter, the show would be set in the prime timeline, though Fuller refused to say exactly when in that timeline it would be set.

( screenrant):
    The other issue that has sparked ever since Discovery‘s trailer first aired is the question of what timeline the series is set in. Discovery‘s producers – original showrunner Bryan Fuller (Hannibal), who parted ways with the series last year over creative differences, and current executive producers Alex Kurtzman (The Mummy), Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts (Pushing Daisies) – have each insisted Discovery takes place in the Prime Timeline of Star Trek. However, the visuals of Discovery alone lend some doubt to that claim.

could go on and on. It has been asked several times...is it prime or JJ verse etc...each time the answer has been Prime..10 years before TOS , 100 years after enterprise.

In show it might change and i hope it does. But again the point is: they say its a apple, And its a fruit just like all the other snacks....and then serving us beef wellington is something different all together. Again...it does not brake it for me. But i get why people hate it. If you get asked is it prime, jj or something else...then if you say its ...insert verse....keep the rules of that verse.

10+ Year Old Account
    ....keep the rules of that verse.
    Can you list them? Is there an official list at all?

They have:
    I know I made reference to the actual show itself at least a couple times in that post... I couldn't really care less what is said in interviews or put in extra material if it never actually shows up on screen.

If you get asked is it prime, jj or something else...then if you say its ...insert verse....keep the rules of that verse.
    What "rules" have they broken, though? That other poster was hung up on the site-to-site transport thing...but that seems rather trivial. If it's the appearance of the Klingons, I have to say I prefer a redesign (even a divisive one) over what they're canonically supposed to look like:

You're making an assumption about the scanners. It's quite possible internal scanners couldn't work that way but external could hence why the only TOS era occurence was between two off ship locations (not saying they are just pointing out an equally feasible interpretation).
    Here's the problem with TOS sometimes. We know external scanners were extremely powerful. We know that crew are assigned incredibly capable hand-held scanners. We know that the ship computer is extremely powerful.

Yet somehow the ship's internal scanners are almost absent? That's not lore. That's writer braincramp. We'll forgive it because it was new but sometimes the show could be inexplicably dumb. Like let's detect someone's heartbeat instead of just having tri-corder capable scanning throughout the entirety of the ship.

TNG addressed many of these shortcomings but even they brainfarted sometimes. Like why does your internal scanners which are capable of detecting many very exotic forms of matter and energy can't keep track of one person who took off their combadge?

Discovery will look at old Trek through modern post TNG eyes sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, Klingons look like Worf, Martok, Gowron, the Duras Sisters, and Kurn. That design has vastly more screen time than the TOS design and it's the design that most Star Trek fans think of when they hear the name "Klingon." ST: ENT went through the expense and trouble to explain the make-up change from TOS to post-TOS and have it all make sense. Did Star Trek Discovery bother to do this?

I know I made reference to the actual show itself at least a couple times in that post... I couldn't really care less what is said in interviews or put in extra material if it never actually shows up on screen.

What "rules" have they broken, though? That other poster was hung up on the site-to-site transport thing...but that seems rather trivial. If it's the appearance of the Klingons, I have to say I prefer a redesign (even a divisive one) over what they're canonically supposed to look like:
    How could a show reference if its in the real timeline or not??? only way to do that is to show a prime timeline charterer ( say spocks father who shows up in episode 1 and 2 ) and even then it can still be a other realm. And i am fine with both answers. If you had read my comment you would see that i say...why people are mad...and clearly say it matters less to me.

- spocks sister
    - cloaking tech before they should have it ( klingons)
    - klingons ( yes its a redesign...i know) ( i kinda like them to btw...i would have added hair tough..)Bald klingons look weird..kinda liked the tng/ds9/voyager/enterprise klingons.
    - starfleet tech ( view screens, holograms etc etc)
    - klingon ships ( the looks)
    - gorn skeleton in captains little shop of horrors...while the gorn where met by kirk for the first time...who is about 10 years away from even stepping on the enterprise.

to name a view. And again...i can not stress this enough...i have answers for all of the stuff. And i could not care as long as the tv show is good. But i answered the question why people hate the "canon" part of it. And the show runners could have said its a prequel to TOS but we are going to change some story bits. But they did not. So again...sigh....i do not care...just answering the question why people hate the canon part of it.

Bald klingons look weird..
    Well, let's not get too silly....