PC continuously restarts just past windows startup

I initially tried to post this on Tom's harware as some of you might suggest to do but I jeep getting stuck in a log in loop on their site at the moment so I defer to you guys to help me out.

So I'd written a more elaborate story regarding my issue but hey, phones are terrible. Anywho:

A week or so back my pc started randomly restarting after being started for the first time every day, roughly a minute or 2 after windows had loaded. A few days later it started doing it randomly as well. Yesterday I cleaned put my case and reseated the ram and gpu and suddenly no video signal.

I Google and found it could be related to the ram so I took out one piece of ram, nothing. Relaxed it with the other and voila I have video signal. I didn't do much to confirm it would stay running since I had to head to work. Fast forward to this morning and I can't even get it to boot past windows startup longer than 10 seconds or so. Windows automatic repair pops up after every 2 or so restarts but either freezes or doesn't recognize my mouse and keyboard to allow me to select an option.

Just wondering if I can toss this into needing new ram or if anyone else has had this issue and thinks it's something else before I go throwing $60+ at ram just to need to buy another piece as well. Thanks!

Can you boot it into safe mode?

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Can you boot it into safe mode?
    Tried, same thing.

Does your board have onboard? Try taking out the GPU.

Try running MemTest on your ram to verify that it is indeed the ram causing the issue.

Motherboard doesn't have on board, and I can't stay on long enough to download memtest or anything. I've never run it before; is it a Bootable I can maybe make a drive from at the library? No spare pc in the house.

15+ Year Old Account
    Give us some pc specs, we dont know what we are working with here.

Not at home so off the top of my head:

Intel i5-2500k
    Asrock Fatality z77
    8 gb (2x 4gb) patriot 1600mhz ddr3 ram
    120gb samsung ssd
    2gb xfx hd Radeon 7850
    Win10 pro
    850 (?) Watt Corsair psu

15+ Year Old Account
    That does have onboard graphics, its igpu on the chip.

Pull your video card, insert one stick of ram and connect your monitor to the rear i/o of your motherboard. See if it boots, you may have to reset your bios if you have disabled the igpu in the bios. Not sure on your board, maybe someone familiar with that board knows as some will boot even if its disabled providing the graphics card has been removed.

If it boots, reseat the second memory module and try again. Let us know.

See diagram:

Last edited by moremana; 2017-10-05 at 12:22 AM.

No on board video, quite an old board. Wish it did, would make life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kals View Post
    Motherboard doesn't have on board, and I can't stay on long enough to download memtest or anything. I've never run it before; is it a Bootable I can maybe make a drive from at the library? No spare pc in the house.
    Memtest86 is bootable utility, so it should work, unless you crash before it completes.

15+ Year Old Account
    omahgawd that thing is ..*cough*.. DIRTY!

Go to your room, no desert for you tonight!

OT You have a old GPU laying around?

For shits and giggles, humor me, reset the bios and see if it boots.

No old gpu, got this one because my old one's fans bearings were just about shot. Thanks MrGreenThumb, I have to work late today but off tomorrow so I'll try to make a Bootable and check that out.