Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Yes, compared to the speed of ther rest of the game, leveling is very slow. And since alot of the rewards throughout the leveling experience is gone, it also feels alot slower.
    It's not as fun without a point to put into talents with every level. But leveling has never been faster. All the nerfs to XP needed for levels is just retarded. You can fart and accidentally out-level the area. No heirlooms needed. Leveling is a damn joke in this game. It has been ever since they started nerfing it mid WoLK.

Edit: And Blizz really screwed leveling up when they put the god damn quest helper addon in to the game.

Levelling 1-110 is the most boring experience, there's no depth to it. It's just mindless.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckypoo View Post
    It's not as fun without a point to put into talents with every level. But leveling has never been faster. All the nerfs to XP needed for levels is just retarded. You can fart and accidentally out-level the area. No heirlooms needed. Leveling is a damn joke in this game. It has been ever since they started nerfing it mid WoLK.

Edit: And Blizz really screwed leveling up when they put the god damn quest helper addon in to the game.
    I have at no point said, that the leveling is slower then before. I just say, that compared to how fast the game is running nowadays, with the quickness of rewards, it is quite slow compared to other content. This is ofcourse not made better by the huge reward desert that is Wrath-WoD right now.

Nerfing the Exp was the right decision and having the quest helper addon was something that needed to happend, because the comunity was forcing it onto Blizzard. Making the current leveling experience last longer is not gonna make it more fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Leveling isn't slow, but its excruciatingly boring and uninvolved. It feels slow because you want it over with, fast.
    You just have to target something and it falls over dead. While you level, nothing is threatening and you just steamroll your way along, wich is incredibly dull.

There is no point to leveling anymore. You don't learn anything, you can't practice a rotation, even on bosses in dungeons because they die too fast.
    You don't learn to avoid stuff, you don't learn the usefulness of your utility tools, you don't learn the use of your defensive tools, you don't learn positional or situational awareness in dungeons either, nothing has any impact or threat.
    Its a really bad way to develop new players for endgame content.

But hey, i assume it works for Blizzard, because i've already purchased 2 lvl 100 boosts... fml.
    You are 100% right. You would think that the leveling experience would work as a sort of tutorial for the game and for you class, learning thing step by step and easing you into this pretty huge game, but it really does not.

Most classes change completly at max lvl and even some of the dmg/mana ratios on some abilities change aswell. So not much of a tutorial.

Overall i think ignoring the leveling experience from a dev standpoint makes WoW a worse game. It makes people less likely to make alts and reduces the chance, that new players will stick around after they start their first alt.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Leveling isn't slow, but its excruciatingly boring and uninvolved. It feels slow because you want it over with, fast.
    You just have to target something and it falls over dead. While you level, nothing is threatening and you just steamroll your way along, wich is incredibly dull.
    Exactly this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RadmaKanow View Post
    First issue.
    Afair SWTOR has numerous XP boost events and original 1-60 (haven't played for quite some time so I can be little off with numbers here) was revamped to be almost instant. I remember original (pre-F2P times) game where you had to do planet's main story + class story + bunch of side quests to be able to advance to the next one. Now? Class story is enough, right? So after such boosted experience you came back to WoW and complain it isn't SWTOR...
    Rightly so. Even when levelling alts back in the bad grindier days you did repeat the common planet questlines, but the main quest was new. WoW only started heading in that direction in Legion and even so, execution is pathetic compared to the original.

10+ Year Old Account
    I experienced X so therefore X must be the scenario for everyone else. Uh no. Do I find leveling boring? Absolutely not. Do I find it to be the most amazing thing in the world? Hell no. Does it take long? It's all perceptive. Took me a lil over 24 hours of gameplay to hit 110 which isn't bad. A decent amount of that time was spent afk too.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

FF leveling is far more ridiculous. Experience that and then level something in WoW and laugh at how fast it is.

I have at no point said, that the leveling is slower then before.
    I'm not sure why you're defending that. I never posted that you said that, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing that up.

I just say, that compared to how fast the game is running nowadays, with the quickness of rewards, it is quite slow compared to other content. This is ofcourse not made better by the huge reward desert that is Wrath-WoD right now.
    You mean gearing up specifically at level cap (which is just as much of a joke as leveling is). I'm not even sure why you bring up anthing under level cap because heirlooms eliminate the need for any gear.

Nerfing the Exp was the right decision
    I disagree. They turned leveling in to a fucking joke. There is no feeling of reward or effort in attaining a higher level.

and having the quest helper addon was something that needed to happend, because the comunity was forcing it onto Blizzard.
    Wrong, adding in quest helper was not needed. Lazy pieces of shit who cry about having to read "forced" Blizzards hand.

Making the current leveling experience last longer is not gonna make it more fun.
    That is a subjective statement and you, by far, are not the determining cause/factor.

When I started I saw a level 60 and thought "holy shit, that player is bad ass. That took time and determination". Now You see a level 110 and think absolutely nothing of it. I asked my nephew what he thought (after playing the game for 4 hours, he was at level 2x ) about seeing a level 90. His words verbatim "I'll probably be 90 in a few days". Like I posted that was after him playing for 4 hours. In classic, if I played for 4 hours I'd probably be around level 6-8. When I hit level 20 I felt like the king of the world and then every 5 levels after that the same feeling. Blizzard fucked up leveling badly by making it fast, easy, and something you can buy with real money.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckypoo View Post
    I'm not sure why you're defending that. I never posted that you said that, so I'm not sure why you're even bringing that up.

You mean gearing up specifically at level cap (which is just as much of a joke as leveling is). I'm not even sure why you bring up anthing under level cap because heirlooms eliminate the need for any gear.

I disagree. They turned leveling in to a fucking joke. There is no feeling of reward or effort in attaining a higher level.

Wrong, adding in quest helper was not needed. Lazy pieces of shit who cry about having to read "forced" Blizzards hand.

That is a subjective statement and you, by far, are not the determining cause/factor.

When I started I saw a level 60 and thought "holy shit, that player is bad ass. That took time and determination". Now You see a level 110 and think absolutely nothing of it. I asked my nephew what he thought (after playing the game for 4 hours, he was at level 2x ) about seeing a level 90. His words verbatim "I'll probably be 90 in a few days". Like I posted that was after him playing for 4 hours. In classic, if I played for 4 hours I'd probably be around level 6-8. When I hit level 20 I felt like the king of the world and then every 5 levels after that the same feeling. Blizzard fucked up leveling badly by making it fast, easy, and something you can buy with real money.
    You stated that leveling have never been faster, as if you stod in counter to me. If that was not the intent, i misjudged the tone

Heirlooms do indeed remove the need for gear, but it also removes all potential reward that gear could have. Just because it is the leveling process, does not mean that you don't need rewards to keep you going forward. Besides some people enjoy not playing with heirlooms and the game should be working without them, again giving them rewards along the way. So yeah, heirlooms solves 1 problem but creates another: Removes the need for getting new gear, but also makes gear a non-reward for most of the leveling experience.

If they did not nerf the EXP needed to lvl, people would simply not lvl up anymore. Especially with the lvl boost in-game, people would not do leveling if it was too long an endevour, especially when it is already so boring.

You might call them pieces of shit, but Quest helper was a top 3 downloaded addon for the game back before it was included in the basic game. It came to a point, where Blizzard might aswell have implemented it into the game, because the large majority of the playerbase who used addons had it on their PC.
    I also think that Blizzard thought the experience of quests became less confusing with the quest helper and that it outweighed the loss of not having people read quest text. None the less, it is a part of the game now and if removed, it would be up on Curse within days and downloaded by the majority of the playerbase again.

This is not really subjective, this is something i would call a fact. I think it should be pretty clear to everyone, that if you extend a task, but did not extend the reward, you are not gonna make that task more enjoyable...You are just stretching time.

You are talking about a feeling you had 5+ years ago, the game have changed. Many more people have hit max lvl, the leveling boost pretty much makes it so that everybody have a lvl 100 character atleast and the value of a max lvl character is pretty low now compared to the past..This is something, that we can not just change.
    You can complain all day about how great Vanilla was, but you have to wake up and live in the present man. Just trying to make the leveling take aslong as back in Vanilla, will only make people stop leveling and put a barrier up for new people who want to level up their own character instead of using the boost.

I think that the leveling experience in the current game can be improved and be transformed into something that is fun and enjoyable in itself, even if you ignore the gain of a new max lvl character. Making it longer will do nothing, unless you make major changes to what you do during that period. Aslong as people see the main reward of leveling as the gain of a max lvl character, making the leveling take longer will only do harm and no good. What would help is adding more fun into the leveling. Add new features, that allow more freedom and challenge in the leveling. Add more rewards for people who does these challenges and give them more tools to actually have fun doing quests in zones, that is below the current standard of quest-design.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Palisis View Post
    This was true up to last patch. I have all classes at 110 and it took me 2 weeks casually playing to get all of them, AND all specs, to concordance (yes, all specs, each per class), and to complete Legionfall campaign for their mounts.
    Kay. I'm sure you're also going to say you're a very casual player who plays 1-2 a day (and not even every day) and that you also got all professions maxed out too and your chars have 920+ ilevel as well.

5+ Year Old Account

There is no point to leveling anymore. You don't learn anything, you can't practice a rotation, even on bosses in dungeons because they die too fast.
    You don't learn to avoid stuff, you don't learn the usefulness of your utility tools, you don't learn the use of your defensive tools, you don't learn positional or situational awareness in dungeons either, nothing has any impact or threat.

But hey, i assume it works for Blizzard, because i've already purchased 2 lvl 100 boosts... fml.
    Agreed except for the last part, I did not buy level boosts besides getting 1 for getting Legion.

Levelling is just dead. Blizz often says they'd love for levelling to be a fun part of WoW again and tried to start fixing it with Cata, which made em notice how much of an undertaking it is so they have no choice but to either rework it and enrage the community since there's 0 endgame content available in that huge patch that'd fix levelling, or to just let it rot.

And rotting is exactly what it does - it becomes more and more jumbled with each exppack and we get more and more EXP boosts for alts. Heirlooms go all the way up to 110, we have an heirloom for almost each slot, peeps with lots of gold can buy 300% exp pots etc.

Quite the shame but I see the problem and can appreciate the decisionmaking process.

Deleted
    This was true up to last patch. I have all classes at 110 and it took me 2 weeks casually playing to get all of them, AND all specs, to concordance (yes, all specs, each per class), and to complete Legionfall campaign for their mounts.
    I would sincerely love to see your /played on each of these characters.
    Or I would like to know of your definition of "casually"... I mean, even if you play 5H per day (which is clearly not casual, except if you stop sleeping and/or aren't working) for 2 weeks, and have say 3 classes to level up, it would mean approximately 24 hours in game for each character to get to max level.
    Is this even possible without a full heirloom set ?

This is honestly the smartest thing I've ever read in here. (Well, not that I happen to use the forum much, but still !)

Which makes me wonder : would it be possible to have an experience based on something other than levels to acquire ? It doesn't change much whether you are level 70 or 95 for instance : you keep doing quests, dungeon or battlegrounds I guess. Nevertheless, I have no idea how they should modify the whole leveling system and this is probably why they don't even try : how can they prevent it from being a boring grind, without using another grinding strategy ?

Maybe could they make every single zone scaling with your level and have reputation or achievements (defeating difficult opponents / winning battlegrounds) fix your own level ?
    Last edited by mmocff9ad3f61f; 2017-10-05 at 09:07 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wait did you spend 2 weeks getting them to lvl 110 AND getting them to the state they are in or did you just use 2 weeks on getting a full set of lvl 110s into their current state?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakera View Post
    FF leveling is far more ridiculous. Experience that and then level something in WoW and laugh at how fast it is.
    This... I picked up FFXIV the other day and Wow Leveling is so much faster and easier. If someone is saying Wow leveling is 'painful' then they have little to no experience in Wow, or with any other MMOs for that matter.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is obv troll bait. SWTOR leveling is ALOT longer and ALOT more boring compared to WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    The OP should have been around for Vanilla.
    The difference is that in Vanilla/BC leveling WAS the game to many people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    And one day, people might actually realize the reason WoWs leveling is so godawfully boring is because you can hit maxlevel using nothing but damaging spells, against mobs that pose little to no threat at all. Of course leveling is boring when you're never in any danger.

But as always, people think making it faster is always the answer.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grastus View Post
    I agree. I love how they made it. I did a few dungeons while leveling from 100-110 on an alt, and I literally hit 110 on the last quest line of the last zone I was in. I completed all major quest lines (with one or two side quest chains), and it brought me right to 110. No extra grinding, but I also got to complete the entire quest line for Legion.
    Really? I generally hit 110 with 1-2 zones left and rarely dungeon on the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    And one day, people might actually realize the reason WoWs leveling is so godawfully boring is because you can hit maxlevel using nothing but damaging spells, against mobs that pose little to no threat at all. Of course leveling is boring when you're never in any danger.

But as always, people think making it faster is always the answer.
    TBH I haven't found an MMO that was actually "hard" to level for nearly a decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    TBH I haven't found an MMO that was actually "hard" to level for nearly a decade.
    People can discuss what counts as "hard" for a long, long time. Fact of the matter is that players are way, way too powerful compared to world mobs. And has steadily devolved to the point where it feels like a complete joke, even without heirloom gear.

How people are unable to understand why 72 hours of twoshotting mobs is boring and doesn't make you feel engaged is beyond me. How it needs to be explained that people lose interest when mobs are so weak they stop being threats, and become nothing but pushovers to mow down, as you realize you have no need for non-damaging abilities.

Leveling taking a long time is not the issue, because if Blizzard hadn't completely abandoned leveling as part of the game, it wouldn't turn into this mess. But I suppose pandora's box has been opened, because hoooo boy I could only imagine the megathreads if Blizzard did what has to be done to make leveling feel like a true part of the game again (for one, I believe player damage would have to be reduced by up to 75% in some level-ranges). When being reckless might actually mean dying, when pulling more than you can handle actually has consequences, when you have need for stuns, silences and self-heals to maintain yourself, and actually notice a difference when upgrading gear (if you twoshot mobs, you don't actually notice any difference), or using a powerful potion, that's when leveling is engaging.

Turning into a demigod at level 10 is not.
    But people's instinctive reaction to anything that'd try to make leveling less of a joke is just met with artificial prolonging of content or some other bandwagon buzz-term. I suppose I am one of those who'd be fine if Blizzard decided to slow down my leveling if it actually meant I started enjoying it again in the process. Maybe I'd actually enjoy playing a lowbie caster again, if the 1-2 melee players in the group would stop killing dungeon trash in 3 seconds so I can actually cast anything.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2017-10-05 at 08:42 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    The difference is that in Vanilla/BC leveling WAS the game to many people.
    Then those people weren't getting their money's worth.