Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Well duh. The problem is that people aren't sardines.
    Some can cope with little space especially if it's all they've known in contrast to those who can't get enough space. People are different that way. Just go from a home where you can touch the ceiling in every room to one where you can't and vice versa. It's a world of a difference depending on what you're used to.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I agree that it's NOT happening, I'm just noting that planning staff are generally aware of this.

Developers want to build as high-end as they can; higher-value properties sell for more, and make for bigger returns on investment. City staff should be controlling that and moderating it somewhat. They often don't, for two reasons. The first is simple; they work for politicians, politicians get lobbied by developers, and planners execute policy and advise politicians, but it's the politicians that actually set policy. Often against recommendations by staff.

The second is that planning's not a hive mind, and some city planners pursue their profession more with an eye towards supporting developers than pursuing some goal of improving city function. I disagree with that view, but it's not overtly unethical, automatically.
    I'm hoping for... can't remember the word, but they're basically high rises, with miniature self contained town-style areas with shops and such every 10-15 floors. and that's going to annoy me until I can remember the word.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    With how much I pay in rent for a shitty apartment I could really use some rent controls for at least a temporary amount of time....this is ridiculous
    We need a more permanent solution. Rent prices keep going up, income does not, and with the fact that the price of EVERYTHING ELSE is going up as well, if not more slowly than rent, eventually people are going to be priced right out of housing. And the problem is, there are far more people looking for apartments than there are available in well populated areas, so complexes can be picky about who they take in. All of the complexes around where I live automatically turn down ANYONE with an eviction on record, no questions asked. So suddenly rent spikes, people can't afford their rent, get evicted, and then what? More and more people will suddenly have a hard time finding a place to live.

So people get pushed out of town to outlying areas. More and more people. Rent starts to rise in those areas, and we have the same fucking problem. Complexes could get away with charging almost HALF as much in rent as they do now and still come out profitable. They're just being greedy twats.

It's really pathetic that the one thing that will eventually bring down the economy in many 1st world countries is the cost of fucking housing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    I'm hoping for... can't remember the word, but they're basically high rises, with miniature self contained town-style areas with shops and such every 10-15 floors. and that's going to annoy me until I can remember the word.
    Arcologies like in Sim City?

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    They have to work with real people to get stuff done. You can be a genius, but if everyone around you is an idiot, nothing of note is going to be accomplished.

I love Sim City. Everyone in that game does exactly what they are told.
    No they don't. You're forced with either creating a police state by putting a Police Dpt on every block, or deal endlessly with citizens complaining about high crime. Follow the law and do what you're told you bastards!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    Arcologies like in Sim City?
    Arcology! that's it.

Yeah, they seem like a neat concept. Sustainable, small relative community size, affordable housing and shopping areas all in one.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

There isn't a piece of land on the earth that isn't owned by someone already. If you don't own the land, how are you going to enforce any rules on it?
    Um... so we don't know how the law works?

Don't look into it. It might shatter some cherished illusions about what an individual "owning land" actually means.

P.S. Not that it's relevant, but your statement is factually wrong in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

There isn't a piece of land on the earth that isn't owned by someone already. If you don't own the land, how are you going to enforce any rules on it?
    Wrong, there are places in Antarctica that are completely unclaimed.

The largest unclaimed territory on Earth is in Antarctica. Marie Byrd Land, a 620,000-square-mile collection of glaciers and rock formations, lies in the western portion of the southernmost continent. Because of its remoteness, no nation has ever claimed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    A real easy solution to the issues. Move somewhere fucking else!

Seriously all these free spirits and assholes that hate everyone else love to fucking live where everyone else lives. If you're so independent move to fucking Wyoming JFC.

Omfg rent is so high where everyone else is. Shocking
    Yeah man, tons of work in fucking buttfuck wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Some can cope with little space especially if it's all they've known in contrast to those who can't get enough space. People are different that way. Just go from a home where you can touch the ceiling in every room to one where you can't and vice versa. It's a world of a difference depending on what you're used to.
    Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome if you ask me.

In any case cramming people into apartments like sardines will just bring about the rise of the proletariat faster. Gotta strip people of their humanity and remove them from nature before they'll realize just how lost they are. (No I am not kidding, it's literally what Marx wrote.)
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    Wrong, there are places in Antarctica that are completely unclaimed.
    Antarctica is split into zones based on a treaty from the late 50s, most of the landmass is claimed by Australia, New Zealand and Norway. Kind of an unusual legal limbo in which nations have staked out claims but territory is not formally "owned". Mostly because it has little value other than scientific research.

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/about-a...wns-antarctica

But I think he meant owned by private individuals anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Yeah man, tons of work in fucking buttfuck wyoming
    Hey man, butts need fucking. Someone's got to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Antarctica is split into zones based on a treaty from the late 50s, most of the landmass is claimed by Australia, New Zealand and Norway. Kind of an unusual legal limbo in which nations have staked out claims but territory is not formally "owned". Mostly because it has little value other than scientific research.

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/about-a...wns-antarctica

- - - Updated - - -

Hey man, butts need fucking. Someone's got to do it.
    Quick, to the emergency mars?

10+ Year Old Account
    Something like this?

I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Theres plenty of affordable places to live if you don't want to live in the city. Hell even in most major cities theres affordable housing if you don't mind high crime areas. People are paying large amounts for rent because they're making a decision to pay for what they're getting in that area.

Just about everyone's parents or grandparents in the last 40-60 years either built a home outside the city or bought a house outside the city with the intention of being a homeowner in an affordable area. Inflation jacking up housing prices, especially because of the expectation of rising home prices is whats really punishing people. We basically have a population of people living in high-density areas their entire lives because they think it will be convenient, or fun, while their generally more intelligent peers invest their money in home ownership. Unfortunately, you can't tax convenience or fun when the renters are 70 and poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    No they don't. You're forced with either creating a police state by putting a Police Dpt on every block, or deal endlessly with citizens complaining about high crime. Follow the law and do what you're told you bastards!
    I meant the officials. They do exactly what you tell them to do. The post I replied to was about officials.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Rent controls are a necessity once you are occupying a rental property. Imagine life if your landlord could double your rent from one month to the next.
    Imagine if there were things called contracts. Or a thing called "moving".
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    No, I (she) just meant owned by specific humans, regardless of private or not.

Acropolis?

I love the suggestion of "just force developers to build low income housing". You realize that develops have this thing called choice, right? "Oh, I cannot build housing that will be financially sufficient for the effort invested? I guess I will toss the plan to build there in the trash. Have a great day!" And then they move into towns that will not be so restrictive.

The only way to get developers to build low income housing is to give them the financial incentive to do so. Forcing them will achieve nothing, literally, since they simply won't build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    I love the suggestion of "just force developers to build low income housing". You realize that develops have this thing called choice, right? "Oh, I cannot build housing that will be financially sufficient for the effort invested? I guess I will toss the plan to build there in the trash. Have a great day!" And then they move into towns that will not be so restrictive.
    A lot of developers work within a single city. They can't just up and move, particularly since they already have a niche in their current metropolis, but would have to try and establish one in a city that's already packed with developers of its own.

Plus, low-income housing still turns a profit. And the the city, they don't really care if one developer won't take up the option. There's a lot of developers, and whoever takes it will still manage a profit off the project, so it's a matter of time. Especially when you aren't giving anyone much alternative.

Your argument here is completely unrealistic, and requires a development company to throw a hissy fit and give up their entire business to try and rebuild elsewhere, at great expense and risk, all because they might make somewhat less profit than they could have on a project they're trying to get off the ground. It's nonsense.

My point also has the advantage of being actual standard operating practice in most cities. So it's not like I'm hypothesizing some impossible goal; this is already how city planning functions.