Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Big Mac Cheaper in Denmark Despite $21 Employee Wage

0:42 But I thought raising the minimum wage causes prices to soar and we end up virtually the same? Sarcasm definitely intended.

"If you want to see the American dream, go to Denmark."
    Last edited by nanook12; 2017-10-06 at 03:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not cheaper, the airfare alone would be close to a thousand dollars US!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well done!
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Well done!
    Most McDonalds burgers are rather rare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man those Labor Unions in Denmark...setting a decent wage. Heresy I tell you!
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol Denmark, the poor peoples Norway.

Big Macs cost more in Denmark than the US. I think you mean to say that the difference in price is less than you'd expect to "double" workers pay.

On average, the Big Mac costs about $4.80 in the US and $5.15 in Denmark, according to the Economist's Big Mac index, which tracks the price of Big Macs across the world.
    I think there are probably other factors that affect costs, however. There are multiple ways to reduce the costs to run a store.

1) The cost for each worker you hire.
    2) The number of workers you hire.

Who's to say they don't simply have less staff at stores in Denmark?

The arguments I tend to hear from people against minimum wage increases are two faceted:

1) Costs on goods will rise.
    2) Number of workers will decline. If you double the pay, you will halve the workforce type situation.

It's a mix of the two that will probably occur. Given the information you've provided, that Big Macs are indeed more expensive in Denmark, you've proven point 1. I don't see any information on point number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    Lol Denmark, the poor peoples Norway.
    The US is apparently just The Poor Peoples country in comparison.

A Big Mac here is $3.50 for just the burger.

You can find a Big Mac in the US that costs like $9.00 say an airport McDonalds in New York.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    0:42 But I thought raising the minimum wage causes prices to soar and we end up virtually the same? Sarcasm definitely intended.

http://www.businessinsider.com/denma...-wages-2014-10

According to that, it states a big mac is 80 cents more, not the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    It's funny how these corporations go like:

"Oh we can share some of our profits with our european employees, sure thing. But fuck US employees, we'll keep our money for ourselves instead of giving it to americans!"

So much for having a strong patriotic culture.
    You can profit share, buy their stock.

"Oh we can share some of our profits with our european employees, sure thing. But fuck US employees, we'll keep our money for ourselves instead of giving it to americans!"

Isn't that down to the simple fact that they CAN get away with fucking over their US employees?
    Wanting better minimum wages so that one can live off the wage? Perish the thought! That's asking for charity and is un-American!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post

A lot of companies get away with shit in America. For one, raising the minimum wage won't increase the price of food or stuff. Look at Australia. Secondly, European food is generally more real than American. Good chance that Big Mac is 50% real meat in Murica. The honey we buy in stores is almost always fake, while Europeans have regulations to prevent that shit. Seriously, our honey is nothing more than corn syrup.

Deleted
    1. They could have less staff.
    2. Different country, different economy.
    3. Price differs in different "restaurants" depending on the location (big city, movies, etc) in a lot of countries.
    4. There are other benefits the job could hold aside from just wage in different countries.

10+ Year Old Account

Having a minimum wage isn't actually set in law in the Nordics.

It's more a result of labour unions actually being worth a damn, and when needed they even cooperate across industry organisations, e.g it's not only the customer facing employees staging a strike, but also the labour unions in other industries like finance and transportation pitching in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    A lot of companies get away with shit in America. For one, raising the minimum wage won't increase the price of food or stuff. Look at Australia. Secondly, European food is generally more real than American. Good chance that Big Mac is 50% real meat in Murica. The honey we buy in stores is almost always fake, while Europeans have regulations to prevent that shit. Seriously, our honey is nothing more than corn syrup.
    True, true. A Scandinavian Big Mac is something else entirely from a US one.
    A friend of my brother's GF who's American, is FASCINATED by our Swedish Orange juice... It says on the packaging: 100% juice from Oranges. He told her that the juice he drinks back home, is made up of 40% real orange juice... the rest? Water and corn syrup, coloring and so on...

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krastyn View Post
    http://www.businessinsider.com/denma...-wages-2014-10

According to that, it states a big mac is 80 cents more, not the same price.
    Yeah, now compare that to the higher wage Denmark Mc Donalds workers receive.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised people even eat at McDonald's.
    It's not like I'm the health preacher and I love pizza now and then.
    But c'mon, McDonald's is not just junk food, it taste crap and it's also too expensive for what you get. I get a huge ass pizza for the same amount of money I get a burger for at McDonald's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    I'm surprised people even eat at McDonald's.
    It's not like I'm the health preacher and I love pizza now and then.
    But c'mon, McDonald's is not just junk food, it taste crap and it's also too expensive for what you get. I get a huge ass pizza for the same amount of money I get a burger for at McDonald's.
    As far as hamburgers goes Max is usually the better choice, but that's a bit besides the point of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    /thread
    /10