Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckypoo View Post
    Why? How does he addition of more playable races affect you?
    Because I prefer they work on playable content than cosmetic stuff like new races.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Because I prefer they work on playable content than cosmetic stuff like new races.
    Oh, you're one of those people. The ones who don't understand that there are different departments for different parts of the game.

Oh, you're one of those people. The ones who don't understand that there are different departments for different parts of the game.
    Oh, you're one of those people. The ones who don't understand what is a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by RoutinelyWorgen View Post
    Consensus on playable Naga:

The argument against Naga being playable due to outdated allegiances an their unique model are baseless, the devs would have absolutely no problem ignoring leggings being invisible even though they've already been rigged to fit on their tails already, hell boots are nigh-invisible on 3 of the 13 playable races and don't even get me started on bracers.

The excuse for them joining a faction in the first place is a no-brainer, rebels and being politically valuable, this is literally the reason Forsaken were made playable back in classic and Pandaren relate to this as well to an extent.

However seeing as how the next expansion will probs be another world-revamp then it would make sense seeing some naga incursions here and there plus the increased threat from the old gods whom they used to have a connection to, hence why they might deserve an introduction into the playable roster though why would they have gone through the effort of giving them creature models during this expansion, and relatively intricate ones at that, it sorta implies the devs intend on keeping naga as hostile NPCs.
    Good observation, and good points, however with a 2-form approach for the race, you can easily see how naga can keep these updated monster models as their form 2, while their form is the more elvenised bi-pedal exotic creature, basically a mermaid or mer-elf i.e. a blood elf with patches of scale on his skin and coral textured hair instead of normal, they could also change their eyes, and that would be exotic enough for the bi-pedal form. As mentioned above, because bi-pedal form is unique, they don't have to force players into monster form for combat like they did for worgen (because human form was not unique). With this one, forcing bi-pedal can happen for mounting, and forcing monster form (the current naga form) while in water. In combat, you can choose, and only force naga form for certain power up abilities where the character will revert to the form he has active once the power up is done.

And yes they can make tails work, same with Quadra-peds like Cenarions, but the two form solution for both naga and cenarions, i think is even better.

Quote Originally Posted by RoutinelyWorgen View Post
    Consensus on playable Drakonid:

Drakonid are generally pretty damn tall but when you look at some of the other races from before they were playable it's entirely possible that height ratio will be ignored altogether. The reason for them being possibly added is pretty varied, both that they foster a decent amount of adoration from the community and that like naga, dragons can be expected to get more spotlight next expansion.

And as I said, it may well be a world revamp and there's a very special zone in the eastern kingdoms recognized as 'northern lordaeron' which was meant to be a dragon oriented zone during WoW's alpha development period from Classic, and a world revamp expansion would be an ideal opportunity to flesh the zone out for once.

It's quite reminiscent of Gilneas actually, a closed off area that got turned into a levelling zone, this kinda adds to the argument. Tom Chilton had also brought up Drakonid as a potential playable race just before Cataclysm and that may well still be on their radar seeing as how it's not been that long since he switched teams.

Plus they surprisingly enough haven't received updated models so far unlike most old world creatures did during Legion despite making an appearance, which could be because they wouldn't wanna go through the effort of giving them creature models if they were just gonna give them playable models the expansion right after.
    i've always wanted Drakonids, like always! however, it's unlikely we would see just the addition of yet another monster race after worgen and pandas. Still the solution here again could be a 2-form race. Normal drakonid and their humanoid disguise, which like the naga above could have some tell tale signs like scales, horns and larger canines. other peculairities like hair, unique pose can disguise the humanoid form (whichever race its based on -likely human or elf or forsaken) enough to feel very unique.

they have options

- - - Updated - - -

So, you want to play the little mermaid?
    little mermaid with halloween or horror movie twist - is the sort of thing wow does best.

- - - Updated - - -

or that it takes more than one aspect (like a raid) to create a compelling and engaging game like wow. And you can't just not develop anything else just to get more raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    And yes they can make tails work, same with Quadra-peds like Cenarions, but the two form solution for both naga and cenarions, i think is even better.
    How is making Naga that can turn off the feature that distinguishes them the most as Naga, better?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post

They really don't have to have it.

They just sit side saddle, the primary mount animation is the only one with any sort of difficult to it. The surfing one used by carpets, the red cloud, kites, etc, is a non-issue, and the bike one is easy.
    that could work. Would it work for flying mounts too with some of those saddles etc? with some adjustments i'm sure. However would you prefer something a little bit more engaging like the 2-form solution.

that could work. Would it work for flying mounts too with some of those saddles etc? with some adjustments i'm sure. However would you prefer something a little bit more engaging like the 2-form solution.
    Basically every single mount in the game uses one of like 3 or 4 riding animations. Mounts are specifically designed to work for those animations, so it will be fine. I don't think copying the iconic feature of worgen is "engaging". It just means Worgen are significantly less unique as a race and now there are weird, not-Naga-fish-elves running around.

Playable Naga is extremely easy, honestly. All you have to do is make their tails very slightly longer and pretty much all the problems can be taken care of.

How is making Naga that can turn off the feature that distinguishes them the most as Naga, better?
    cos it gives you an additional option to have. at the end of the day you can always look like the naga or look like a naga elf bi-ped, with only some situations forcing the change, it's like having 2 races, although the bi-ped one is essentially a sub-race. The variety would be a hit. Get another beautiful looking race, that's also got a cool monster side, and you can decide which you'd spend the majority of the time in with the exception of the instances you are forced into one of them (in water for full naga form, and mounting for naga-elf form, oh and combat powerups will impose full naga form for their duration.

so, in order to get naga as a playable race, what would be the best way to overcome the challenge those particular models have?

what would you do? So far this is the best solution I have heard:

Option 1.
    Naga elf or Half-elf. Queen Azshara or a rival faction, worked on and cast a massive spell to "fix" the naga by restoring them to their original elven form But the old gods countered with a curse, or they couldn't completely overcome it, furthermore, with the full tether to the well of eternity lost, they end up a cross between high/blood elf and naga.

Feature 1. While on land and out of combat, they appear as bi-pedal blood/high elf looking elves, white skin but with patches of scale and hair the texture of coral. Hair and scale colour match. Unlike worgen, you can fight in this form, or go full Naga, you transform into full naga when empowered. But when on mounts you are always in this form

Feature 2: While in water, the legs transform into snake/fin mermaid type.

Option 2: the Naga Elf also makes a perfect naga-sub race. Naga don't end up being a full playable race as they appear in game, but continue on as they've always been with this exception above as one of the detailed sub-races in this form. For this to work, it would have to be rival faction to Queen Azshara hoping once and for all to be free of her and end the old god dominance. Lady Vashj was one of their leaders, and they seek the Blood elves of which some had joined up with in TBC. Some of these naga had been persuaded as elves by Darth'remar or inspired by his action, but hadn't been able to make it out in time or respond in time before the change. They had orchestrated the naga plan to join up with Kael'thas as a pre-cursor to coming out, however events forced the outcomes that happened. They work up the wonder spell. THe spell turns them into the naga-elf described in option 1.

Meanwhile the rest of Queen Azshara's forces continue on as full naga, as only this faction are changed.

The Naga Problem
    I don't see how Naga will be playable if they are not able to transition into a bi-pedal form, and the best option really is to have an exciting and beautiful version of them as well as have the monster form available. This would be the coolest for players and make them a really exciting addition. They can implement this as either a full race or a sub-race of Blood Elf
    if they remove the tail, then it isnt a naga any more.
    its like adding murlocs, but then making them stand tall and humanoid, bassicly just a human with a murloc face.

this is how they can ride mounts
    they allready have jumping animations.
    why have people never heard of side saddle? with a long tail they can sit their body, then lace their tail down one side, back up, then down the other side

people will claim clipping...

Naga can happen, there is nothing holding them back.
    will they happen is the question, who knows, only blizzard.

also the question on leg/boots... Its not like tauren, trolls, draenei, and worgen, pandaren all dont not wear boots (mostly, they do get... canklets? i think its called?)

cos it gives you an additional option to have. at the end of the day you can always look like the naga or look like a naga elf bi-ped, with only some situations forcing the change, it's like having 2 races, although the bi-ped one is essentially a sub-race. The variety would be a hit. Get another beautiful looking race, that's also got a cool monster side, and you can decide which you'd spend the majority of the time in with the exception of the instances you are forced into one of them (in water for full naga form, and mounting for naga-elf form, oh and combat powerups will impose full naga form for their duration.
    So completely steal Worgen's whole thing for no reason. Got it.

10+ Year Old Account

The Naga Problem
    I don't see how Naga will be playable if they are not able to transition into a bi-pedal form, and the best option really is to have an exciting and beautiful version of them as well as have the monster form available. This would be the coolest for players and make them a really exciting addition. They can implement this as either a full race or a sub-race of Blood Elf
    I don't see that so much a "problem" as it is a challenge.

I think turning them into a be-pedal humanoid and removing their monster like/snake like form detracts from the concept altogether. The head simply becomes a interchangeable feature.

It completely ruins the idea.

The team that makes art for new races, is not the same ones who make new content. Hell adding a new naga playable race would not be that hard, we allready have tons of customization. Just need to choose racials, add a few more animations like dance, voice lines for them. Make a small starting zone for them. choose what classes they can be.
    Druid (fishy/snakey forms!) warrior, hunter, maybe a rogue? shaman, mage, warlock.

Maybe even demon hunter at they are part of the illidari, or atleast a large amount of them are. But they would need to change DH starting zone... I doubt it, but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    Naga won't happen. Otherwise, there will be some issues regarding their swimspeed - which HAS to be superior to everybody else's (seriously, a naga being an equal swimmer to other races, wat) and that can break a few things, such as Twin Peaks. Grab horde flag, go into the water, SWOOOSH!
    But it's OK for druids to have aquatic form, or DH to glide/jump across half the map before you can get on a mount.

There's some valid reasons to not have Naga as a race, but PVP swim speed is not one of them.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

I am sure the art team does some advancing programming for new scripts and complex mathematics for balancing with their paint brushes and photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    The team that makes art for new races, is not the same ones who make new content. Hell adding a new naga playable race would not be that hard, we allready have tons of customization. Just need to choose racials, add a few more animations like dance, voice lines for them. Make a small starting zone for them. choose what classes they can be.
    Druid (fishy/snakey forms!) warrior, hunter, maybe a rogue? shaman, mage, warlock.

Maybe even demon hunter at they are part of the illidari, or atleast a large amount of them are. But they would need to change DH starting zone... I doubt it, but possible.
    It'd be Mage, Priest, Warlock, Rogue, Shaman, Hunter, Warrior. I'd imagine, though yeah, druid is a possibility.

LOL. You clearly don't have a business major either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    I am sure the art team does some advancing programming for new scripts and complex mathematics for balancing with their paint brushes and photoshop.
    Not to mention they already have a good amount of preexisting framework done.

- - - Updated - - -

little mermaid with halloween or horror movie twist - is the sort of thing wow does best.
    That could add a few more chapters to that steamy romance novel!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    But it's OK for druids to have aquatic form, or DH to glide/jump across half the map before you can get on a mount.

There's some valid reasons to not have Naga as a race, but PVP swim speed is not one of them.
    That is not a fair comparison as those are advantages of a class, whereas we are talking racials here. However as I said, it would be more than feasable to have them disabled for pvp.

Deleted
    No, no, no, no, no.

The best way to make naga playable is to make Naga playable as they are. Because that's what people fucking want.

And find a way to make gear at least mostly good on them even with shoes and pants not showing up.
    And somehow explain why playable casts aren't dependant on their sex, like with enemy naga.
    And explain why female naga can't quatro wield.
    And make new kicking animations with this old engine.
    And give them enough customization option despite naga not having hair.
    And give them playable classes that make sense for snake people living underground.
    And make them look good on all mounts.

Yeah it's not easy. It would be much much easier to make Jinyu playable.

But Giving us a third elf race with a few fishy parts and calling them naga would just piss off everyone.
    Last edited by mmoc38dc10fd5b; 2017-10-06 at 08:09 PM.

It'd be Mage, Priest, Warlock, Rogue, Shaman, Hunter, Warrior. I'd imagine, though yeah, druid is a possibility.
    Death knights would also be very possible, considering that Naga have been fighting Arthas since before he even became LK. Provided people are willing to deal with the time travelly mind fuckery of leaving archeus like we already have to either way.

If this ever happens I hope they leave a snail trail everywhere they go.