Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    yeah but dont expect an honest answer from blizzard without 5 suits over their shoulder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    100% What warrants the prices is that stupid people pay them.
    ain't that the truth.

A server or faction by themselves are decently priced. Its both at the same time that is ridiculous. IMO it should just be $25 for a transfer if that is just a server or a server and a faction it shouldn't matter.

They are gouging the customers for services that take little effort on their part. People pay it so they can keep doing it. It would be nice if they did more discounts like they did in the early spring this year or if they did something for long term customers. Even a bundle of some sort would be nice. At some point people on dead servers are punished for wanting to continue playing the game but not do it on the ghost town server they have the misfortune of being on. Moving multiple characters adds up quickly and for the people with all classes level'd which most long term players do it is over 300 dollars.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    It cost a lot of resources to automate those.. you don't pay for the service itself you pay for the development time it took to set it up.

Software development is really not cheap...
    Hah, it is way less then you imagine. Also this cost has been recuperated 100 times over... and lots more..

Yes, server xfers and what not are stupidly priced, and always have been. If Blizzard were smart, they'd use free transfers, race changes, etc as perks for x number of months of persistent subscriptions.

They were and really still are, but now that you can exchange wow token for blizz money, so it's not longer really an issue for me. Moved my whole army of alts to Illidan from a dead server when that went live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    It cost a lot of resources to automate those.. you don't pay for the service itself you pay for the development time it took to set it up.

Software development is really not cheap...
    lol, it probably took like 24-36 man hours to automate and do QA on that. It's just some API calls and hardly takes any server resources to perform anymore. Maybe they have an engineering team that is in charge of the service (as in, hey Jeff and Mark you guys have services now in addition to the 12 other things you do) and has to fix a bug every year.

That's literally it. I know what I'm talking about so don't try to say they are breaking even or using the price just to pay for the dev time or services.

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    We could argue that movie prices are excessive and cable TV prices are excessive and so on, but free market rules.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

As somebody who's put years into my characters on my server, which has been in the process of dying a slow death for the past few years. I have already quit the game once for just over a year because my guild died and I wasn't willing to pay to transfer/faction change to another server.

Even if I was to just transfer my main character, the thought of re-leveling all the professions on my alts so I don't have to pay the crazy AH prices on some servers (example: Tome of tranquil mind are over 100g each on my server) makes my stomach churn. If my guild fell apart again I would probably rather quit again then pay the transfer fees.

They're literally shell scripts. The only time an actual human being looks at any of it is in the case of an issue or a refund or whatever.

Some intern probably wrote it, it got QA'd internally 2 days later and boom there ya go.

Also lol @ saying 100g for a tome is a crazy price.
    Last edited by Kazuchika; 2017-10-06 at 09:28 PM. Reason: autocorrect can suck it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is excessive garbage.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Yes, server xfers and what not are stupidly priced, and always have been. If Blizzard were smart, they'd use free transfers, race changes, etc as perks for x number of months of persistent subscriptions.
    Exactly.

A little gratitude and appreciation go a long way and it cost them practically nothing to do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Look I work a job with a decent salary, I make in the 50k CAD/year range and I'm not in debt or anything financially going well.

But I grew up poor and I appreciate the value of money, so for me when I consider the price of a server transfer and faction change to play with a friend and it's 55$ USD, i.e like 65-70 CAD, I'm like holy fuckarooney. It's the price of almost 4 months of WoW, which pays for all the servers, programming and maintenance work and future content!

What warrants these prices? The programming for these services was completed years ago, everything is automated now. Wouldn't like 10$ everything be more reasonable? Paying the price of a new AAA game so I can play WoW with a friend just strikes me as what the fuck.

Although then again we live in an age where people pay over 1000$ for a cellphone because its screen is more shiny than the previous version, so what do I know...
    Subscription fees mostly just pay for server upkeep. Profit and support for new titles and content comes from microtransations (like those you've mentioned) and new game/expansion releases.

I agree that some of them are more expensive than I'd like, but also keep in mind the price is, in part, to manage the volume of x service. For instance, if name changes were like a dollar (which they reasonably probably could be), there would likely be a lot of people changing names left and right, and that has ramifications for the social aspect of the game.

7+ Year Old Account
    There were a few reasons that led me to cancelling my subscription. Server transfer costs were one of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Depends how yo look at it...

Based on cost? Yeah.

If they want to dissuade people from casually doing these things (i.e. they don't want people switching servers at the drop of a hat, etc). No.

To maximize revenue? Hard to say since you'd need to calculate the effect of various prices on sales. Apparently they're OK with the revenue this brings in and feel that they wouldn't see a significant bump by dropping prices.
    If it really was for that reason they would apply a cool down.

I would say they're overpriced a bit. I don't really care about the cost of them anymore. I just convert my gold into tokens and then turn the tokens into blizzbuxs. Paying for 10 transfers and a faction change was painless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    If it really was for that reason they would apply a cool down.
    The price is a fairly significant cooldown unless you have money to burn.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the subscription fee hasn't gone up in price in the 12 years I been playing this game, so until they do the answer is no.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The price is a fairly significant cooldown unless you have money to burn.
    That's the argument Blizzard make, I'm suggesting thats not the complete truth.