Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Now Ubi’s opened the door, can we have our “Skip Boss Fight” button?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...sm-difficulty/

"This is ground I’ve covered before. And each time there’s been a very similar reaction. In 2009 I suggested it was daft that I’m not able to just skip ahead while playing game, like I could in a film, book, or TV show. Of course that’s daft! I wrote back in 2012 about the idea of being able to skip fights, as a reaction to the despicable response to BioWare’s Jennifer Hepler’s suggesting that game combat should be skippable. Of course it should! Last year I talked about how deeply peculiar is the perceived notion that people have to be GOOD at games for them to be properly enjoyed. Of course they don’t! And in light of this seismic (that shouldn’t be, oh it shouldn’t be) announcement regarding AssCreed Unity, I want to reiterate it once more: let other people play games their way."

Is the gaming journalism trying to reach a new low?

It's a feature for other people, does it matter? If you want to challenge yourself, you can do that. If someone else wants to just watch the game more than play it, and they're willing to pay for that, that doesn't change your gameplay experience. It's no different to getting your big brother to beat the one bit you can't get past.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    It's a feature for other people, does it matter? If you want to challenge yourself, you can do that. If someone else wants to just watch the game more than play it, and they're willing to pay for that, that doesn't change your gameplay experience. It's no different to getting your big brother to beat the one bit you can't get past.
    But that's the thing, no one really cares and games already have difficulty levels. Why the need to bring this up as a follow-up of Cuphead debate?

Why the need for this:

"I’m not playing dumb here, I’m not being coy. I know an awful lot of what’s made gaming culture such a miserably toxic environment over the last few years is deeply wrapped up in subjects like this, and those who spread the toxicity are those most likely to be on the side of condemning gaming options that remove challenge, that make the hobby more accessible to the crowds. But at the same time, I’m not going to allow that sewage to pollute my opinions, and my delight in expressing those opinions, and I’ve long been arguing that gaming can be a far better place if the industry would only introduce the “Skip Boss Fight” button."

I play games in easy mode because I just want to enjoy the time and no one ever condemned me.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2017-10-07 at 09:00 PM.

The boss fights in Deus Ex: Human Revolution felt so out of place and awful that I used console commands to activate god-mode. As long as that is an option for a game I don't think there's a need for an actual skip button.

You could watch it on youtube and save $60.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    But that's the thing, no one really cares and games already have difficulty levels. Why the need to bring this up as a follow-up of Cuphead debate?

Why the need for this:

"I’m not playing dumb here, I’m not being coy. I know an awful lot of what’s made gaming culture such a miserably toxic environment over the last few years is deeply wrapped up in subjects like this, and those who spread the toxicity are those most likely to be on the side of condemning gaming options that remove challenge, that make the hobby more accessible to the crowds. But at the same time, I’m not going to allow that sewage to pollute my opinions, and my delight in expressing those opinions, and I’ve long been arguing that gaming can be a far better place if the industry would only introduce the “Skip Boss Fight” button."

I play games in easy mode because I just want to enjoy the time and no one ever condemned me.
    Or maybe the writer of the article cares, and he knows others who do?
    Maybe people have never condemned you specifically, but did you not see people's response to the idea of a dark souls easy mode, or the lfr discussions on here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe people have never condemned you specifically, but did you not see people's response to the idea of a dark souls easy mode, or the lfr discussions on here?
    Easy Mode Dark Souls and LFR are not the same as just skipping it. You still have to do a minimal amount of effort into the game.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The boss fights in Deus Ex: Human Revolution felt so out of place and awful that I used console commands to activate god-mode. As long as that is an option for a game I don't think there's a need for an actual skip button.
    Good old console command helped alot in the past.

Do console games need bring back the cheat menu? Yes. But the way that the journalist painted the issue is just wrong and insulting to both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Easy Mode Dark Souls and LFR are not the same as just skipping it. You still have to do a minimal amount of effort into the game.
    Nonsense. LFR can absolutely just be watched as long as someone else is doing the work for you.
    However, that is irrelevant, as that particular comment was in response to OP's claim that nobody has ever condemned him for using easy mode, not in response to the concept of adding an optional button for other people that those who like games as they are don't have to use.

Deleted
    Those aren't the same as skipping, you still have to play it. There is no point in skipping if there is a cheat menu and/or a very easy difficulty.

7+ Year Old Account
    I can't really agree with this. Some games make you empathize with the player character for the combat being difficult, as it surely is for the PC. The journey becomes a shared one. It makes moments more impactful and exciting. Movies don't have this kind of involvement. Eliminating the interaction just makes it a movie.

This problem was already solved. Just set the difficulty. On easy, it's normally laughable.
    Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. MCSE Server 2016, A+, Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
    Aorus Xtreme RTX 2080 Ti | i9 9900X@ 4.6ghz custom loop | Level 120 Void Elf Protection Warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nonsense. LFR can absolutely just be watched as long as someone else is doing the work for you.
    However, that is irrelevant, as that particular comment was in response to OP's claim that nobody has ever condemned him for using easy mode, not in response to the concept of adding an optional button for other people that those who like games as they are don't have to use.
    You still have to queue up and the purpose of LFR is make it easy enough to go through. It's more or less easy mode for raids. Sure you could stay there but that's because of the format not because the innate option of LFR lets you able to wait. That's just due to the community.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    But you still have to participate and wait until it finish.

It's because the journalist is trying to paint a division that really doesn't exist in the gamers community.

Those aren't the same as skipping, you still have to play it. There is no point in skipping if there is a cheat menu and/or a very easy difficulty.
    How is a cheat menu any different to a skip button? That's literally exactly the same thing, a button that allows you to not play portions of a game.
    Also difficulty is subjective. Some people are really really bad at videogames. Some of those people would like to be able to see the rest of the videogame. This allows them to do that, while preserving the rest of the game for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerroth View Post
    I can't really agree with this. Some games make you empathize with the player character for the combat being difficult, as it surely is for the PC. The journey becomes a shared one. It makes moments more impactful and exciting. Movies don't have this kind of involvement. Eliminating the interaction just makes it a movie.

This problem was already solved. Just set the difficulty. On easy, it's normally laughable.
    You perfectly explained what I was trying to say. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You could watch it on youtube and save $60.
    That seems like a better choice. It saves development time and consumer money. There is some temptation to put in this option; letting people pay for the privilege of not playing the game. 5$ to skip, or 15$ to skip and get the loot and achievements.

The dude sounds like he's trolling though. Nobody is so drunk on the nerd culture trend that they'd do anything to play as little of a game as possible while still being able to say they played it. Just stream a lets play while holding an unplugged controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    You still have to queue up and the purpose of LFR is make it easy enough to go through. It's more or less easy mode for raids. Sure you could stay there but that's because of the format not because the innate option of LFR lets you able to wait. That's just due to the community.
    If you're looking for the equivalent of a skip button then how about just sitting out a tier and getting the catch-up gear for the next one?

Deleted
    How is a cheat menu any different to a skip button? That's literally exactly the same thing, a button that allows you to not play portions of a game.
    You don't skip the narrative that the game dev presented to you.

Coming to wow soon raid instances without mobs. For RPers.

It's because the journalist is trying to paint a division that really doesn't exist in the gamers community.
    And yet here we are, disagreeing on the subject. Currently it's pretty friendly but that's not typical of most internet discussion. Do you really find it implausible that there are a lot of people who get really angry at the idea of a cheat code to advance to the next level, and others who would quite like that to be a thing?

- - - Updated - - -

You don't skip the narrative that the game dev presented to you.
    Weren't half of the cheats back in the day just unlocking all the levels? Skipping a boss doesn't really skip any narrative as long as the cutscene is shown. The player understands that the character beat the boss.