Poll: If you could design Legendary system...

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

If you could design Legendary system...

I only have a minute to throw up some poll options (off to dinner), so feel free to write in better ones I didn't think of.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Same as now but with a slowly farmable currency which allows you to buy Unidentified class legendary. BOA

The Buring Crusade system.

An extremely rare drop from the end boss. Everyone having them is stupid.

I think legendaries in general are just sort of fucking stupid. They've never been implemented in a way that was really very good (whether they be 'super rare drops' from old raids, time-gated grindfests or RNG-based Legion legendaries).

They're just sort of fucking dumb. They're ultra-powerful musthaves so you can't really just ignore them (I mean, you can, but you lose out on a lot by doing so) and you can get made or broken based on what legendary the game arbitrarily decides you get to have.

It's no good.

Pre MoP Legendary System:

Pros:
    - Legendaries were exclusive
    - Legendaries felt legendary

Cons:
    - Exclusive to raiders only
    - tied to a specific class

MoP & Wod Legendary System:

Pros:
    - You couldn't get the legendary for free ... but you didn't have to put in much effort either.
    - Not exclusive to raiders only

Cons:
    - It wasn't very legendary because pretty much everyone had it.
    - Cloaks and rings are not very cool legendaries as it turns out.

Legion Legendary System:

Pros:
    - Everyone had the potential to get a legendary

Cons:
    - Legendaries aren't exclusive
    - Legendaries don't feel legendary
    - RNG

How to preserve the Pros and remove the Cons

There are many ways to do it, but this is the one that I thought of.

A specific legendary would be developed for each aspect of the game:
    - Leveling
    - Dungeons
    - Raids
    - Arena
    - Bg
    - Professions
    etc. Every aspect of the game gets a legendary.

In order to obtain a legendary you would have to invest your time and/or skill towards whatever aspect of the game you're trying to acquire the legendary from ... Essentially you wouldn't be able to get these legendaries for free like you do now.

What this does is it preserves the exclusivity of legendary items since players would have to invest their time or skill in order to obtain one. But it also gives everyone the chance to acquire a legendary item, not just raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I feel that MoP/WoD had a good idea ... quest lines to obtain legendaries ... I would like that kinda of system.

Quests lines that could be based of class, race or professions would work.

For example,
    - a Paladin could go on a quest for an item from Tyr ... possibly a ring or trinket
    - a blacksmith could seek out plans for a bracer pattern to craft.
    - a Troll could recover an artifact from one of the troll dungeons

These quests aren't too short, but aren't long. Perhaps even "hidden" starts ... true they would be found, but it would take time. These quests should take place in older areas for the most part to give people reasons to be out in the world.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Wrath/Cata style - 1 super mega rare drop, 1 slow craft able
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd either make them very rare off endbosses OR I'd do something like that combined with a MoP approach. The latter would let everyone work toward a useful legendary while the rare drop would set people doing hard content apart.

Blizzard's main fuck-up with legendaries was making them vastly different in power. Some specs have 1 or 2 really good legendaries and the rest are hot garbage not even worth equipping. It wouldn't be easy to balance but if they added like 4-5 legendaries for each spec but have them different but equal it would be cool.

Like for example an Arms Warrior could have 2 different legendaries, gloves that make Slam hit the target 3 times, or shoulders that make Whirlwind deal stacking bleed damage to your current target. They'd be balanced to both offer, let's say 50k dps. The gloves would make you favor Titanic Might while the shoulders would make you favor Fervor of Battle etc. Legendaries should all be balanced in damage they offer, but only differ in altering your play style.

The only time someone should be disappointed to see a legendary is if they didn't want to play a specific play style, not because it wouldn't gain them as much dps/healing as another.That and make Utility Legendaries on a different rng system than Throughput legendaries, and allow you to only equip 1 of each.

I would prefer system like in MOP / WOD (progressive questline), but every class and spec gets a different legendary tailored to their spec. Nearly every spec atm has some extremely coveted, "BIS" legendary. Pick that one, and make progress towards it a questline. When another major patch comes, there is a questline to upgrade it with maybe extra effects, or maybe a second one for another slot, with giving some catch up towards previous steps so people don't fall too much behind. Prune 80% of the legendaries we have now - most of them undesirable, keep only the good ones, the essence of "coolness" for the spec.

Advantages:
    - can put quests that have lots of lore & flavour
    - class / spec fantasy expressed in the item, not just generic "per role"
    - everyone gets one when they work on it
    - everyone can be balanced around having it after some time without people being left out in the blue with no ways to catch up
    - only the best ideas are kept instead of bloating legendary table with random hit-and-miss ideas
    - legendaries feel more unique instead everyone having "piles of it"

Disadvantages:
    - dunno really... some people don't like quests I guess?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quite simple: Vanilla version.

Have legendary tokens drop from raid bosses, that have story significance and let that token start a pretty long questline. That questline should require you to do hard, expensive and expansive quests, which would end in something big.

The legendaries are for 1 specific class each and very few are availible each expansion, so nobody is getting one each expansion.

They will be rare, they will be awesome and they will be worth the hardship.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhowl View Post
    Blizzard's main fuck-up with legendaries was making them vastly different in power. Some specs have 1 or 2 really good legendaries and the rest are hot garbage not even worth equipping.
    This is the case for i.e Havoc DH -as most people see it... But most people go by fotm-memes and sims games..
    They dont even try alternatives to see how they actually compare in WoW.
    Not having the BiS legendaries does not make a toon useless.

There will always be someone who have to fill the lower end of the dps meters.
    So if one Legendary adds 50k more dps than another - Boohoo, it is not a balance problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post

Pros:

Cons:

Pros:
    - You couldn't get the legendary for free ... but you didn't have to put in much effort either.

Cons:

Legion Legendary System:

Pros:

Cons:
    - RNG

- Leveling
    - Dungeons
    - Raids
    - Arena
    - Bg
    - Professions

In order to obtain a legendary you would have to invest your time and/or skill towards whatever aspect of the game you're trying to acquire the legendary from ... Essentially you wouldn't be able to get these legendaries for free like you do now.

What this does is it preserves the exclusivity of legendary items since players would have to invest their time or skill in order to obtain one. But it also gives everyone the chance to acquire a legendary item, not just raiders.
    The ring or the cloak were better than a fucking Shadowmourne. The effects they had were dope, so were their animations. Are you simply saying cloaks/rings are not interesting because fucking what, they're not a weapon? Who gives a shit, it's the effect that matters.

RNG legendaries are fucking stupid. If you want to make a super rare one, just make it drop off the final boss on the highest difficulty so eventually every good player gets it - doing the hardest boss on the hardest difficulty should be plenty of "work" for a legendary.

RNG is not work. Anybody who thinks that RANDOMNESS is work... they're fucking stupid and should stop replying so they don't further spread their stupidity. Should get themselves sterilised too.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2017-10-08 at 02:56 AM.

Should be one per class and per spec. Each should be behind multiple professions, raid and dungeon materials, with quite a few questlines that aren't requiring you to grind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post

Pros:

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:

Legion Legendary System:

Pros:

Cons:
    - RNG

- Leveling
    - Dungeons
    - Raids
    - Arena
    - Bg
    - Professions

problem with this is the exclusivity worked and gave the feeling of it being Legendary because it was really really exclusive. having 1 in a guild was a huge deal. if you make it in any way obtainable to the masses you make it a mandatory have which makes it a mandatory grind meaning every one who raids will have to get it. that will either piss of the community or make it not exclusive.

my 2cents put it back to how it was 1 or 2 per expac and takes the whole guild to get and comes from raids. i dident mind that i was super unlikely to ever get a legendary because i just dident deserve one.

i hate this modern idea that everything should be accessible by everyone its such a snobby privileged mentality let the super hard core mythic guys have there things and let the elite pvpers have there special things if they devote such a crazy amount of time to the game and have those skillz then they deserve to be put above us plebs with the bling and im cool with that

Quote Originally Posted by tripconn View Post
    having 1 in a guild was a huge deal.
    And it was even bigger deal when a character tied to that legendary got poached by a higher guild or even better, the owner of the account sold it. Happened tons in vanilla / TBC. No thanks. I'd rather have legendaries as a personal effort than whole guild to pump it into 1 guy just so he can get irl cash for selling his pimped toon.

Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    So if one Legendary adds 50k more dps than another - Boohoo, it is not a balance problem.
    It is though. That's exactly a balance problem. Players are going to go for the 50k dps increase legendary every single time, unless they're a casual who doesn't give two shits about legendaries then good for them I admire them. It's theoretically impossible to balance all the legendaries a spec has to have them perfectly equal and only give a play-style change but it would help make most legendaries less undesirable.

I would leave the system as is but make anyone wishing to give feedback have a counter next to their name with how many they have received.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Currency to buy a random roll token, keeps some RNG in it but gives you a goal and a timeframe for every legendary, not 2 in one day and then 0 for 2 months.

Prior to mop legendaries were far too specific, whole classes and roles got left in the dust and whole portions of the game were forgotten (pvpers, etc, raid or die)

The quests in MoP and WoD were a step forward, but far too generic. The effects were bland, and didn't impact class abilities.

Legion has a lot of fun and unique legendaries but not knowing when you can truly look forward to your next one is disheartening at best, annoying at worst, especially if you get a string of bad ones. At least with a currency you would know, if I do this then I can get another one at this point in time.

2 ideas.

1) Treat it like Diablo 3 gems. Make 10 or 15 universal gems that each have unique traits and can be leveled up with some choices. Think of it like Netherlight Crucible without the RNG. 1st tier of each will be things like prydaz shield, or bonus damage to say shadow, etc. 2nd tier will be a choice between 2 class specific abilities. 3rd and final tier will be a choice between 3 spec specific abilities. The gem will go in it's own slot - AKA the old relic slot.

2) Give everyone a Runestone as part of the questing experience, with the ability to earn token turn ins to learn runes to place on your Runestone. These abilities will be similar to the things on Legendary items now like the sephuz 2% haste or warlock portal pants giving instant portals. There will be two types of runes - Light and Shadow. Light are passive/defensive abilities for your class. Things like heals, shields - basic utility. Shadow are throughput runes. You can freely switch your runes out with each fight.

In both cases, the new "legendary items" have no stats on them - passive legendary abilities.