Poll: If you could design Legendary system...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    Pre MoP Legendary System:

Pros:
    - Legendaries were exclusive
    - Legendaries felt legendary

Cons:
    - Exclusive to raiders only
    - tied to a specific class

MoP & Wod Legendary System:

Pros:
    - You couldn't get the legendary for free ... but you didn't have to put in much effort either.
    - Not exclusive to raiders only

Cons:
    - It wasn't very legendary because pretty much everyone had it.
    - Cloaks and rings are not very cool legendaries as it turns out.

Legion Legendary System:

Pros:
    - Everyone had the potential to get a legendary

Cons:
    - Legendaries aren't exclusive
    - Legendaries don't feel legendary
    - RNG

How to preserve the Pros and remove the Cons

There are many ways to do it, but this is the one that I thought of.

A specific legendary would be developed for each aspect of the game:
    - Leveling
    - Dungeons
    - Raids
    - Arena
    - Bg
    - Professions
    etc. Every aspect of the game gets a legendary.

In order to obtain a legendary you would have to invest your time and/or skill towards whatever aspect of the game you're trying to acquire the legendary from ... Essentially you wouldn't be able to get these legendaries for free like you do now.

What this does is it preserves the exclusivity of legendary items since players would have to invest their time or skill in order to obtain one. But it also gives everyone the chance to acquire a legendary item, not just raiders.
    I value basically everything in the Pre-MoP system. It feels good when legendaries FEEL legendary. I like helping others get a legendary if its not for my class. I like seeing the massive dps/heals a player with a legendary can contribute, and that not everyone can do that.

MoP/WoD system is tricky, because i only had time to play the start/end of the expacs during that time period. What happened is that i didn't have the time to finish my cloak/ring quests, and didn't want to qq about the system, so i just didn't play as much. Felt like a bit of a 'gate'. I remember atleast queing for LFR to see what was up, and oh my god, if you were a dps, not having the ring felt like you were just tapping the mobs. Wasn't fun at all :\

If they wont go back to the old system of legendaries (pre mop) then i think your system might do ok. Don't penalize ppl for playing the game how they like it, but also reward more on time and/or skill.

Something everyone has = could it be any less legendary?

1. Not like the old school one where it was handed to you by your raid team/guild
    2. Not like Legion where it is handed to you via stupid RNG.

My approach is more like MoP/WoD - where individual effort is required to obtain the legendary + variety like Legion.

Maybe have a total of 10-15 legos covering healing,dps,tanking etc - and you go on a quest to find the 'key' or starter for your particular lego (that you have chosen).

You then spend effort strengthening it up and reforging it into a legendary item.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I would like to get exploration based questlines (find clues wher the parts are from npcs, find places in the world, dungeons, raids) combined with having to craft parts.

Then you could add some new AP like endgame leveling system to our characters, that gives us the power to wield them.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Mop/wod or legion without them being dps increases would be my prefered way, the old style legendary with just 1-2 people getting them worked fine back then but I don't really feel like they fit into current wow.

Or none at all would also be okay.

Vanilla style. Making Legendary from the scratch. We collect ingredients and parts from raids drops and then craft our legendary during questline that requires full raid to complete. So achieving Legendary is guild size progression.

The best choice is wrath/cata except for the one class part. Rogue daggers were pretty lame. However shadowmorne was fine. But the questlines to earn them, and the effort required were great.

Legion system (minus the RNG, and widely ranging values in power) is better than mop/wod. MoP/WoD were just carrots on a stick to keep people playing the entire xpac, and in no way felt legendary when everyone and their alt had a legendary ring/cloak that was mostly earned by afking in LFR.

Vanilla/TBC were kind of eh, because it was only a reward of persistence grinding one raid for months until you finally got it.
    Last edited by tuesday the paladin; 2017-10-08 at 07:44 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Take WoD/MoP's Legendary system and make it not suck by not adding stupid content to it, like needing to farm a certain raid every week. Doing BRF LFR when HFC was current content, week after week, just wasn't fun, it was tedious.

But knowing Blizz we'll get another version of the Legion system just with a utility and a dps lego. Done. Calling it here.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Kamov;47526290]The Buring Crusade system./QUOTE]

definately this, or vanilla.

Deleted
    i would keep utility legendaries as they are and put the important legendaries at the end of long and hard questlines.

Maximum equippable legendaries: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    And it was even bigger deal when a character tied to that legendary got poached by a higher guild or even better, the owner of the account sold it. Happened tons in vanilla / TBC. No thanks. I'd rather have legendaries as a personal effort than whole guild to pump it into 1 guy just so he can get irl cash for selling his pimped toon.
    Make it bound to guild, if the char leaves the guild, the legendary goes to the guild bank. Not sure how it'd work if guildless people were making it tho.

Elemental Lord Felfaadaern Darkterror's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    One interesting way of looking at poll results: If you combine first three options that all begin "Like Legion...", we see more people wanting some variation on the Legion system than were happy with previous systems. Does that mean the much-maligned Legion system was actually a step in the right direction, even if it did step in some poo? Maybe you have to experiment and screw up to learn what you need to learn to get it right?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

5+ Year Old Account
    My idea is to obliterate the whole idea of legendaries. There is simply no place for that in a MMO setting, imo. The Vanilla legendaries were bad, because you could be the most dedicated player in the world, but if you played the wrong class, you were SoL (yo dawg, I heard u like leggos... Oh ur a priest, FU lol). The Legion "approach", if sheer, dumb RNG is deserving of such name, is even worse because it really devalues the meaning of a "legendary" item.

Not only that, instead of being just a (huge) ilvl boon, they also differ so wildly in power level that you feel disappointed when you finally get an orange drop and it's a piece of crap compared to the BiS one(s). The only thing legendary is the letdown...

In short, legendaries should be deleted from the game from now on, the gearing should be slower, and getting a blue drop should mean something other than "derp moar shardz". Legendaries may work in single player games, but in a MMO setting they are nothing but a pain in the rear, and an unnecessary one while we are at it.

Ideally I'd like to see a return to Wrath/Cata, but realistically they won't go back to a legendary system that isn't available to everybody, so MoP/WoD-style would be the preferable option in that case. Alternatively just keep the artifact system(or something like it) instead of legendaries, but as a seperate slot(like librams/totems etc), so weapon drops can return(because the weapons are, at least to me, the most iconic gear of a raid/tier)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    One interesting way of looking at poll results: If you combine first three options that all begin "Like Legion...", we see more people wanting some variation on the Legion system than were happy with previous systems. Does that mean the much-maligned Legion system was actually a step in the right direction, even if it did step in some poo? Maybe you have to experiment and screw up to learn what you need to learn to get it right?
    Sure, but all of the issues with the Legion system were posted as feedback going back all the way to alpha/beta when they were first added, so it would've been possible to avoid the poo entirely(on live servers).
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    My idea is to obliterate the whole idea of legendaries. There is simply no place for that in a MMO setting, imo. The Vanilla legendaries were bad, because you could be the most dedicated player in the world, but if you played the wrong class, you were SoL (yo dawg, I heard u like leggos... Oh ur a priest, FU lol). The Legion "approach", if sheer, dumb RNG is deserving of such name, is even worse because it really devalues the meaning of a "legendary" item.

Not only that, instead of being just a (huge) ilvl boon, they also differ so wildly in power level that you feel disappointed when you finally get an orange drop and it's a piece of crap compared to the BiS one(s). The only thing legendary is the letdown...

In short, legendaries should be deleted from the game from now on, the gearing should be slower, and getting a blue drop should mean something other than "derp moar shardz". Legendaries may work in single player games, but in a MMO setting they are nothing but a pain in the rear, and an unnecessary one while we are at it.
    I kind of like legendaries for the same reason I like trinkets: in Legion they are a lot like having two extra trinket slots. With 970 trinkets. Just like trinkets, you have to choose which two from your current collection best suit the current content. Just like trinkets, some that you wouldn't use every day turn out to have niche uses. So I like that aspect of it. But not the aspect where months-long imbalance was created between haves and have-nots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Ideally I'd like to see a return to Wrath/Cata, but realistically they won't go back to a legendary system that isn't available to everybody, so MoP/WoD-style would be the preferable option in that case. Alternatively just keep the artifact system(or something like it) instead of legendaries, but as a seperate slot(like librams/totems etc), so weapon drops can return(because the weapons are, at least to me, the most iconic gear of a raid/tier)

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but all of the issues with the Legion system were posted as feedback going back all the way to alpha/beta when they were first added, so it would've been possible to avoid the poo entirely(on live servers).
    Yep. I think we all agree there was some poo involved. I think those voting "Like Legion..." were really just happy for every class to be able to get one, without it being as grindy as Mists/WoD. But it kind of was grindy, if you were determined to get bis and weren't lucky with an early drop.

A Quest at max level, similar to us collect Lingering Soul Fragment for Soul Prism of the Illidari. We get a fixed amount every week, and get to roll a random Legendary once we have enough.

Break Legendary into two category: PvE and PvP. PvE is pure dps Legendary, PvP is utility Legendary. When we roll, we get to choose between PvE or PvP.

The power discrepancy between Legendary is another problem which I don't really have a fix. As long as each Legendary is unique, they will have different power level, I think it can't be reasonably fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    I kind of like legendaries for the same reason I like trinkets: in Legion they are a lot like having two extra trinket slots. With 970 trinkets. Just like trinkets, you have to choose which two from your current collection best suit the current content. Just like trinkets, some that you wouldn't use every day turn out to have niche uses. So I like that aspect of it. But not the aspect where months-long imbalance was created between haves and have-nots.
    I guess this is a good opportunity to expand a bit more on my idea from the other thread regarding legendaries/trinkets. What I'd quite like to see is trinkets that don't have stats, but instead are more like legendaries, some of your tank trinket examples from the other thread, Argus(the boss) trinkets or the Archimonde trinkets in HFC(or even things like Soul Capacitor/Prophecy of Fear/Empty Drinking Horn, just with the stats removed). This means that as the expansion goes on, your collection of trinkets grows, allowing you to adapt to more situations. Same idea as the legendaries in Legion, except they're no longer random drops from the entire game, but specifically farmable. This would require better balancing of trinkets in order to keep them all/most of them relevant.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    The problem is you can't win with Legendary. The only fair system is MoP/WoD. It was literally the better system. Or at least, the one with less whining. Probably the most boring yeah, but with every other system, even the interesting one i read here, you will have people aiming for the highest dps output, and cry because player A that play all day long has it before player B.

P.S: i am ok with every system, i am not a professional whiner, but MoP and WoD were, and it's a fact, the most "equal" in term of legendaries. The only RNG was the shard drop, but 1 week or 2 later every raid member cuold be at same spot.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    The problem is you can't win with Legendary. The only fair system is MoP/WoD. It was literally the better system. Or at least, the one with less whining. Probably the most boring yeah, but with every other system, even the interesting one i read here, you will have people aiming for the highest dps output, and cry because player A that play all day long has it before player B.

P.S: i am ok with every system, i am not a professional whiner, but MoP and WoD were, and it's a fact, the most "equal" in term of legendaries. The only RNG was the shard drop, but 1 week or 2 later every raid member cuold be at same spot.
    I had fun with the WoD legendary rings. I took a break during MoP for personal reasons. But I do remember in WoD how many joked they were "welfare legendaries", and that they were too grindy.

That whole grind/rng thing comes up again and again. Those are the two classic ways Blizz has gated rewards since the beginning of WoW: either grind or rng. I get that some players prefer one or the other. Some players are glass-half-empty and complain about both. Personally, I just prefer a mix; that way when I'm tired/frustrated with one I can work on the other.

Deleted
    There's no need for legendaries at all so just delete the concept.