Poll: Which do you like better?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    If you're talking about the universes as a whole and not just which one has your favorite characters I would have to say the Marvel universe is better. They decided a lot earlier that they wanted all their characters to be in one universe and has a much more stable and coherent feeling. DC was late to the party in this regard and ended up with a whole lot of weird shit to tie everything together and for the most part is a total mess.

Characterwise I also side with Marvel but that's probably only because it was the first I was really exposed to and I just as easily could have ended up like DC characters.
    How in the hell can you imagine that any of the mess that is the "MCU" as in any way coherent?

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Too many events, too many reboots, too many cancelled series.
    Cancelled series are not limited to Marvel/DC. As for events, well, yeah, those are more common at DC/Marvel(Valiant does them too), but that's cause you can't really have an event with say, Image pr Dark Horse, since every series is pretty much a standalone series completely separate from the others. I mean, you can't exactly have a big Image event combining Saga, The Walking Dead, and Morning Glories since each one takes place in it's own, totally isolated universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly I like them both, they are different enough from each other and both have characters and stories that I like. However if I absolutely had to choose I'd choose DC in a heartbeat. Mostly because I had much more exposure to DC than to Marvel growing up since Cartoon Network aired a lot of DC stuff (superman TAS, batman TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League etc.) while FOX Kids used to air Marvel stuff (X-Men, Spider Man, Iron Man etc.) and I didn't get FOX kids at my cable provider so I only rarely watched it when visiting friends that had it.

I'm not much into comics (not really available here unless I want to read them online which I don't, or overpay, which again I don't) so I won't comment on that.

As for Movies, even though I will agree that the MCCU is better paced and developed I still prefer the DCCU(except suicide squad, kill it with fire) because it is grittier and they don't force puns and jokes every 3 lines of dialogue...

MCCU is much better for parties tho as a drinking game, drink a shot every time they make a pun/joke... you'll be in a coma midway through the movie.
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2017-10-03 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Cancelled series are not limited to Marvel/DC. As for events, well, yeah, those are more common at DC/Marvel(Valiant does them too), but that's cause you can't really have an event with say, Image pr Dark Horse, since every series is pretty much a standalone series completely separate from the others. I mean, you can't exactly have a big Image event combining Saga, The Walking Dead, and Morning Glories since each one takes place in it's own, totally isolated universe.
    And that's why those are better. Self contained stories, not convoluted messes.

I have very little interest in DC. Though the justice league movie looks fun and campy.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Define 'better'. Movies - Marvel pretty much bodies DC. Animation - DC is somewhat better imo. Comics - DC bodies Marvel, cause they haven't succumbed to SJW bullcrap completely. At least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    And that's why those are better. Self contained stories, not convoluted messes.
    Depends on the stories. I've read some self contained stories that suck way worse than any of the convoluted events Marvel or DC churns out. OTOH, there are some great ones too. Depends on who is writing more than anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    John Byrne once said, and I think he might have been quoting another creator here, that DC had the best characters while Marvel had the best stories. That's how I tend to look at the two universes. DC heroes were the ones you tended to imagine being more while the Marvel heroes were the ones you tended to enjoy reading about more. As it relates to the topic, the universe you'd want to live in is probably DC's while the one you like reading about is Marvel's.

Of course, with so many reboots, retcons and alternate universes, there's no longer a DCU or MCU, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    John Byrne once said, and I think he might have been quoting another creator here, that DC had the best characters while Marvel had the best stories.
    While I AM reading more Marvel books than DC at the moment(though only 2 more), when I think of stories, arcs, or runs of a series I like rereading, stuff I am most likely to coming back to multiple times...the vast majority of them are DC.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're both a hot mess when it comes to the comics anymore but for movies it's easily marvel by lightyears.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Lazuli said. Both of their comic universe is just an absolute mess. Everyone's abilities and powers vary upon who is writing.

Marvel has a better cinematic universe.

Otherwise, they are just so messy. I mean, the X-Men comics have been fairly straight forward for their run. It has a relatively cohesive story line.

I prefer Marvel super heroes, only ones i like in DC are Superman and Flash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    While I AM reading more Marvel books than DC at the moment(though only 2 more), when I think of stories, arcs, or runs of a series I like rereading, stuff I am most likely to coming back to multiple times...the vast majority of them are DC.
    That's nice.

Wonder Woman was fantastic.
    DC would do well to follow through on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Wonder Woman was fantastic.
    DC would do well to follow through on that.
    I agree. I'm hoping WW's success rubs off on the future of the DCU. We're still going to have a dark-looking Justice League, but after that...

MCU is far better as a franchise than DCEU. And I don't care for comics outside of movies based on comics anymore. As a kid I did subscribe to Spider-Man comic books though, so I guess I'll have to say Marvel overall too then. Was really in to the Carnage / Venom related story-lines. Really hope to see that in the MCU one day, if Sony ever sells back those rights to Marvel.

DC characters are far more interesting but require masterful writers to make use of their depth. Like superman for example, he needs a god-tier writer for it too work or hes just too OP. Marvel is pretty fun and campy with little depth and frankly Robert Downy Jr and Chris Evans carry their films with great performances. Lose those actors and I can see the characters ironman/captain America struggling to recast and be good.