Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are Some Europeans Unable To Complain About Bad Food?

I heard that in some European countries it's not acceptable to complain about the food you get from restaurants. Do you mean to tell me if, you get something that tastes awful or is too cold, you cant just stop eating and ask for your money back or a replacement meal? You have to just sit there and let your money go to waste on bad food? Ive had bad service before and here in the states. You can get your money back if you've only taken a bite or 2. or request something else or a fresher piece of food. Is it true you have to put up with whatever shit they give you?
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2017-10-09 at 03:32 AM.

Deleted
    I´ve been in most countries in Europe and ate in them a couple of times except for Macedonia, Ukraine, Estonia, Finland, Moldavia, Kosovo, Russia and probably some other small one that I can´t name it right now and though I yet have to have the ocassion of actually complaining about the plate I have never heard of not being able to complain about the food you are paying for. I could only assume it could be a regional thing perhaps, maybe there is a formal way to complain in some places but as being as far as of not being able to complain that the food/service you paid for... doubtfull, I suggest you give us more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish4ever View Post
    I´ve been in most countries in Europe and ate in them a couple of times except for Macedonia, Ukraine, Estonia, Finland, Moldavia, Kosovo, Russia and probably some other small one that I can´t name it right now and though I yet have to have the ocassion of actually complaining about the plate I have never heard of not being able to complain about the food you are paying for. I could only assume it could be a regional thing perhaps, maybe there is a formal way to complain in some places but as being as far as of not being able to complain that the food/service you paid for... doubtfull, I suggest you give us more details.
    I think it was around the UK area or something? The idea of being forced to deal with shit service seems absurd imo. Atleast give them their money back as long as they havent taken more than a few bites of your shit food.

Of course you can complain about it. I'd just ask for a refund, myself.

I think it has to do more with the fact that you rarely get served bad food. Restaurants in Europe use fewer pre-cooked components, and they reheat less. Which in turn means it simply slightly less likely you'll get crap served.

In the past 10 years I can only think of 1 specific incident where I had to send a meal back. They were burgers in a diner, where I ordered the meat medium rare, and while the burger was cooked perfectly 3/4 the interior of it was completely cold for some reason (I suspect they froze the patty). Once I complained they replaced the burgers and didn't charge for them at the end.

If you paid ludicrous amounts of money for it and/or it's cold/not fresh you can "complain", as in tell the waiter that your food is of stubstandard quality. You are not expected to eat it. What you are not supposed to do is cause a scene or behave like you are the king of shitlords yourself because you are the C U S T O M E R, also known as an american entitled cunt, because that just makes you look bad, not the restaurant. The later goes for nit-picks as well, no one in their right mind would complain about very minor things, you just wouldn't come back to eat there again. From experience there are some women who don't follow this and usually start shit their husbands have to solve in the end, but that is a more global phenomenon afaik.

15+ Year Old Account
    people like who love to complain about their food that tend to be annoying fucks who complain about insignificant stuff.

if it's warrented complaining is alright.

Deleted
    We can. Was in Venice few years ago with family, my sister ordered fish, instead they brought mix of sea food with no fish seen anywhere on plate. Complained about it, server whined for a while about what would he do with that shit, but caved in and brought different dish. Then he whined again for a minute when I was paying bill, but that "fish" was not included in bill.

Deleted
    Completely false.

This sounds like some shit someone who got poor food and didn't want to make a scene would say, to excuse social ineptitude.

From what I have seen in american restaurants, the biggest diffrence between western european (havent been to alot of eastern countries) and american restaurants is that european servers are about trying to leave you alone and letting you eat in peace, while in America restaurant meals are about some sort of team based speed contest. American servers are also obnoxiously friendly. All in all I always felt like I was eating with an overenthusiastic puppy running around my table.

So I can totally imagine that an American coming to a restaurant in Europe could feel like the servers are all assholes, who would force feed you that cold icky food they gave you, if they werent plain ignoring you.

But no, everywhere I have been you can return the food. They just dont look as happy as americans, while doing so.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    From what I have seen in american restaurants, the biggest diffrence between western european (havent been to alot of eastern countries) and american restaurants is that european servers are about trying to leave you alone and letting you eat in peace, while in America restaurant meals are about some sort of team based speed contest. American servers are also obnoxiously friendly. All in all I always felt like I was eating with an overenthusiastic puppy running around my table.
    Trying to earn that tip, and yeah I find it irritating also.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I don't know how obligated the restaurant is to fix or reimburse you if the meal is not satisfactory, but Finns generally want to avoid conflict and negativeness, even as customers. We eat the food even if we don't like it, then decide never to come back to the establishment. It's silly, since decent restaurants would want your continued patronage, so naturally they'll want you to feel good about your experience and fix it as needed.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I think it has to do more with the fact that you rarely get served bad food. Restaurants in Europe use fewer pre-cooked components, and they reheat less. Which in turn means it simply slightly less likely you'll get crap served.
    Exactly this. I live in Germany and have never experienced bad food in restaurants here, NEVER.

Deleted
    If you go into a restaurant, order something you've never eaten before, something you have no idea about the taste of, then realize it's something you really don't like, but the food itself is really well made and it tastes exactly like it's supposed to taste, then if you ask me, it's on you, and it's not on the restaurant to pay for your ignorance.

If, however, the food is undercooked, overcooked, raw, or made in some way completely wrong, then sure, feel free to complain, as it's not what you ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If you go into a restaurant, order something you've never eaten before, something you have no idea about the taste of, then realize it's something you really don't like, but the food itself is really well made and it tastes exactly like it's supposed to taste, then if you ask me, it's on you, and it's not on the restaurant to pay for your ignorance.
    If you are down to brass tacks then you are right, however most places I have been will give you something else instead. All part of the service.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

If the food is shitty you tell them that and either get a refund or a new meal.

Deleted
    Never heard such thing, we even have "official complaints books" in every restaurant by law.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2017-10-09 at 10:29 AM.

Deleted
    Literally fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    American servers are also obnoxiously friendly. All in all I always felt like I was eating with an overenthusiastic puppy running around my table.

But no, everywhere I have been you can return the food. They just dont look as happy as americans, while doing so.
    lol 10characters.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Objectively not true.