Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    I think they just need to NOT bump the itemlevel from expac start to end so ludicrously. WoD ended at 680-700 gear being easy to get. Now? Fucking 910+ is easy to get. Frankly, Mythic Antorus is going to be what... close to 1000? Dafuq did we need a 300 itemlevel boost for? Should have been 10 itemlevels per raid tier.
    remove titanforge and I*will be fine with what you propose.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilento View Post
    I see no one talking about this. I don't know if it's because people take it as a given or because they don't care having 1 billion dps on screen.

I personally think we are already in Legion WAYYYY past the mark of what is an "acceptable and humanly pleasing number" on screen.
    I really cannot identify myself or even udnerstand how much i'm doing when yo see 1 Milion damage or healing.

SO i hope the next item squish comes fast.
    No, they shouldn't do any squishes, because this takes effort and introduces problems for something they no longer need (they needed the first squish because they were running into the 32-bit limit in places, they since removed that limit everywhere that matters).

It's just busywork creating problems for no gain other than the imaginary "smaller numbers look better to me". To say nothing that it is actually the other way around and bigger numbers looking better to many.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    The only people who want a stat squish are those incapable of understanding high numbers. Maybe educate yourself instead of insisting the game be dragged down to your level of understanding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I think a squish has been mostly confirmed by now.
    No it hasnt
    It's only logical. No worries, it'll be in next expansion.
    On the contrary now in the world of 64bit they dont need to squish the numbers.
    when you reach level 20 in d&d the game master doesnt go: "no we go all back to our level 1 numbers"
    and after the backlash of the last squish they wont do one so soon.
    I just wonder how much the lower levels can still be compressed...
    its not just a number its a story of growth of your char in power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    I'm sure at some point before WOD they said a second stat squish would happen on the expansion after Legion.
    nope they didnt. its just people claiming "omg I cant play this game anymore now that the story of my toon advanced and I am not the unknown fall guy anymore...."

No one goes and says omg I am 50 years old the numbers are getting to big from now on I am 5 again....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    The only people who want a stat squish are those incapable of understanding high numbers. Maybe educate yourself instead of insisting the game be dragged down to your level of understanding.
    amen to that brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    On the contrary now in the world of 64bit they dont need to squish the numbers.
    We have been in the world of 64-bit far before the first squish. The reason they don't need any further squishes is that they replaced 32-bit integer values used in combat math with 64-bit floating-point values, making (dangerous = time consuming due to the need to be careful and test a lot of related stuff) changes in code.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    That is a very very stupid statement, to say the least. Maybe you shoudl educate yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Blizzard has already said they are doing it anyway so it doesn't matter much, does it?
    Could you link a quote? I must have missed it. (Not saying it doesn't exist, just genuinely missed.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Dafuq did we need a 300 itemlevel boost for? Should have been 10 itemlevels per raid tier.
    This exactly. A ~100% bump in output during a whole 2 years expansion should be more than enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the damage I see is already compressed into thousands or millions. Doesn't matter to me if it says k, m, or b at the end

Oh god, it's been forever since Ion said they'd be doing it, any idea where I should be searching?

Here we go, it's in this one: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...on-Hazzikostas
    Apologies. I saw that interview but apparently I read an incomplete version of it (it was being updated live) so I missed that bit.

The bit:

"
    Squish
    DPS numbers are getting up to where they were in Mists of Pandaria, so next expansion will probably have a squish again.
    There will also be a chance to look at the combat system, stats, and scaling to see if they can come up with a better solution than repeated squishing.
    "

Yes, it looks like we might have the squish. A waste of time, if you ask me, although it is good that they are seeing that it is a waste of time, too, and want to do something better that would avoid it.

It most certainly needs to be done, but in order to really fix the problem, they also really really need to come up with something else than throwing these ridiculous amounts of gear and upgrades out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    A stat squish is coming because of power creep in gear. It's a different reason than the previous squish.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    why no one had this idea ? an add on that divides numbers by 1000, 2975112 becomes 2975, 2084963 dps becomes 2084.96 dps, that's brilliant
    I had that idea a long time ago, but when I got into developing it, I quickly found that what addons can do is not powerful enough. Also, it would either have to work nice with all other addons, or do code shenanigans that are likely to break in many places. (eg you can't change the default combat text, so you would already be forced to use some combat text addon)

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    why no one had this idea ? an add on that divides numbers by 1000, 2975112 becomes 2975, 2084963 dps becomes 2084.96 dps, that's brilliant
    This guy was working on one that appeared to work. No idea if he kept up with it.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-addon-creator

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    That is a very very stupid statement, to say the least. Maybe you shoudl educate yourself
    You practically said it yourself in the OP

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    It most certainly needs to be done, but in order to really fix the problem, they also really really need to come up with something else than throwing these ridiculous amounts of gear and upgrades out there.
    As GC mentioned recently, though, perfection is the enemy of actually getting things done, and likewise, "permanently fixing" game mechanic issues can often be the enemy of actually have fun, functional game mechanics. I think it's fair to say most players prefer to be getting fairly regular upgrades and a lot of gear in a game like WoW (rather than a game like DAoC, where stats are hard and soft capped, so rare pieces of gear can be fine), so maybe even though it creates some issues, you don't want to stop that?

I mean, drinking at parties causes all sorts of problems, but parties aren't usually that much fun without drink (believe me, I've been to such parties...). So maybe the solution is not taking the drink away, it's managing the people, and cleaning up properly after the party.

I feel like a stat-squish is that clean-up. It probably has to happen, almost certainly even, but do they need a "Final Solution" to regular gear upgrades? I don't think they do. I think "permanent solutions" to problems in ever-changing games tend to end in tears. This isn't like fixing a leak in a sink - i.e. in a system that's not subject to change. This is fixing a problem in something that's always changing, and it's okay for such fixes not to be permanent, because a great "permanent" idea one year, may, two years down the line, seem like a stone around the neck of the game.

Deleted
    Oh god, it's been forever since Ion said they'd be doing it, any idea where I should be searching?
    Here we go, it's in this one: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...on-Hazzikostas
    So it may not be a squish but instead using the smart way of:
    Quote Originally Posted by ION
    There will also be a chance to look at the combat system, stats, and scaling to see if they can come up with a better solution than repeated squishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthegoat View Post
    ?

Super Last Expansion LFR - 50000k DPS, Mythic - 5000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000k. That's a bazillion times higher.

A primary school student that was good at math wouldn't have that problem.
    You didn't get my point. I didn't say anything about "numbers", but about scaling.

A primary school student would have realize it.

I see no one talking about this. I don't know if it's because people take it as a given or because they don't care having 1 billion dps on screen.

I personally think we are already in Legion WAYYYY past the mark of what is an "acceptable and humanly pleasing number" on screen.
    I really cannot identify myself or even udnerstand how much i'm doing when yo see 1 Milion damage or healing.

SO i hope the next item squish comes fast.
    or alternatively they could ban skada/recount so it really became "just a number"

would be so much healthier for the game.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't see a point to the squishes really. Why do people get so irate about large numbers? Does Math trouble you?