Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Happy Leif Erikkson Day!

On October 9th, we people of North America celebrate the feats of one explorer. A man who, four centuries before Christopher Columbus, sailed the even more dangerous Arctic waters to be the first European to settle the Western Hemisphere, in a land he dubbed Vinland. He comes from a long history of explorers, with his grandfather being banished to Iceland and his father banished FROM Iceland, they were forced to chart the unknown.

So post Vikings being awesome, I guess, or play some Civilization as Harald. Maybe don your best WoW Vrykul transmog, or just grab your nearest alcoholic beverage and sing songs of voyage and conquest!

Skál!/skål!
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

@Thurin should be here for this.

there's no sexier version of a manly man than a viking man.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2017-10-09 at 04:54 PM.

Nice summary OP I didn't know about his grandfather and fathers deal with Iceland, that's really something! Boy it must have felt crazy for Leif, discovering so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    On October 9th, we people of North America celebrate the feats of one explorer. A man who, four centuries before Christopher Columbus, sailed the even more dangerous Arctic waters to be the first European to settle the Western Hemisphere, in a land he dubbed Vinland. He comes from a long history of explorers, with his grandfather being banished to Iceland and his father banished FROM Iceland, they were forced to chart the unknown.

So post Vikings being awesome, I guess, or play some Civilization as Harald. Maybe don your best WoW Vrykul transmog, or just grab your nearest alcoholic beverage and sing songs of voyage and conquest!
    I'd rather celebrate Columbus day since I'm a true American.

10+ Year Old Account
    Columbus? BAH! Why celebrate some Italian who couldn't even find the country he was looking for, when you can celebrate a true son of Odin who sailed west thinking he would find nothing but monsters and the unknown?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Agreed. This SJW bullshit of trying to rename the holiday needs to just stop.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    So, which tribe exactly? Navajo? Cherokee? Aztec perhaps?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    So, which tribe exactly? Navajo? Cherokee? Aztec perhaps?
    None of the above. We came here and conquered them then took the land for ourselves.

I'm not on board with all the Columbus hate, because despite his personal faults, he had a great deal of personal daring, and his actions dramatically changed the world. I'd totally be on board with a day off in memory of Leif Erikkson though, for many of the same reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

None of the above. We came here and conquered them then took the land for ourselves.
    To be fair, they did a good job destroying themselves before ever white men encountered them. Even their most powerful empires were experiencing population decline due to poor farming practices, a rigid caste system that stifled innovation, and near constant warfare. Even without that, disease preceeded most white settlers and armies by decades, leaving populations utterly devastated, and not able to effectively resist.

Oh ya be a "real" American by celebrating a guy who never set foot on America and committed mass genocide killing millions through enslavement. Ya what a day to be an American celebrate fraud and genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    there's no sexier version of a manly man than a viking man.
    Viking Pirate?

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Oh ya be a "real" American by celebrating a guy who never set foot on America and committed mass genocide killing millions through enslavement. Ya what a day to be an American celebrate fraud and genocide.
    I'm sure you're enjoying your day off presuming you live in America.

I do live in America and it doesn't matter if I got the day off. This is still an actual fake holiday built upon actual fallacies and celebrates a genocidal failure who was too stupid to realize he wasn't in India.

10+ Year Old Account
    Day off? Who gets a day off? Federal Employees for whom everyday is virtually a day off anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    I do live in America and it doesn't matter if I got the day off. This is still an actual fake holiday built upon actual fallacies and celebrates a genocidal failure who was too stupid to realize he wasn't in India.
    They're all Hallmark holidays at the end of the day. Enjoy your day off, Columbus was awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Day off? Who gets a day off? Federal Employees for whom everyday is virtually a day off anyway?
    My union has the day off and we get paid /shrug.

They're all Hallmark holidays at the end of the day. Enjoy your day off, Columbus was awesome.
    Ya really awesome a moronic failure who killed millions YAY GO AMERICA!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    By "we" who do you mean exactly? The British? The French? The Spanish? The Portugeese? The Dutch?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    By "we" who do you mean exactly? The British? The French? The Spanish? The Portugeese? The Dutch?
    Muricans of course! AMERICA FUCK YA going around celebrating a genocidal moronic failure. AMERICA FUCK YA!

(Infracted)
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-10-09 at 08:28 PM.