Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    I will recap what you said racism and sexism do not exist when it comes to hiring
    I never said it doesn't exist. I even admitted that some dude might be racist and deny a black guy a job, but that it wouldn't matter because there are so many other companies. Do you really think all companies that exist would shoot themselves in the foot like that and not hire a qualified black guy just cause he's black? They all are racist to this extent that they'd rather not hire a black guy and risk making less money? Get real.

If anything a black guy has a better chance of getting hired cause so many companies want minorities, so that they can say "look we have hired minorities".

There is no upside to not hiring minorities. You want to tell us that the system is so corrupt, that it's so racist, sexist and homophobic, that they'd rather not hire ethnic people, women or gay people and risk making less money or even their company failing AND hurt their image in the eye of the public? That is a fairy tale.
    Last edited by mmocdf92b69352; 2017-10-09 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Folks, when you base your argument on the idea that women and ethnic minorities are automatically worse than white dudes at the jobs in question, you are the reason diversity programs exist. To offset that blatant prejudice.
    Way to assume they think all ethics minorities and woman are like that.

The minorities that are already overqualified on their own merits alone should already have their decent shot at working with a company, regardless of any diversity laws or policies. The ones that are left will be under qualified, and want an extra discriminatory boost from practices like this. How is that so hard to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    marvel didn't change any longstanding characters to woman.
    They made a female version of Thor, did they not? I also believe X-23 became Wolverine, if I'm not mistaken.

Deleted
    I dont really car what they do, as long as there are quality games released.

No one ever cared who exactly made their NES/SNES games either back in the day, so why start now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Yeah, because no game genre is as mainstream as MMORPGs. And PC the more mainstream platform than consoles. Out of PC games, WoW the more mainstream and popular (including popular among women) franchise than the earlier Sims.
    Wow has managed to be very successful by appealing to a very large player base, there's no doubt about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    They made a female version of Thor, did they not? I also believe X-23 became Wolverine, if I'm not mistaken.
    The X-23 as All New Wolverine comic was actually very good. Thor, not so much, although I have been told its selling well. Plus Wolverine (Logan) is back from the dead now (because lol Marvel), so he'll be back to returning to Wolverine within the year.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    I never said it doesn't exist. I even admitted that some dude might be racist and deny a black guy a job, but that it wouldn't matter because there are so many other companies. Do you really think all companies that exist would shoot themselves in the foot like that and not hire a qualified black guy just cause he's black? They all are racist to this extent that they'd rather not hire a black guy and risk making less money? Get real.

If anything a black guy has a better chance of getting hired cause so many companies want minorities, so that they can say "look we have hired minorities".

There is no upside to not hiring minorities. You want to tell us that the system is so corrupt, that it's so racist, sexist and homophobic, that they'd rather not hire ethnic people, women or gay people and risk making less money or even their company failing AND hurt their image in the eye of the public? That is a fairy tale.
    Let me add a few more gems

There are unlimited number of positions and good companies and everyone qualified gets a job.
    Companies always admit their biases and therefore would never discriminate.
    Are you planning to put all these gems in a book?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    neither of those are longstanding characters turned into woman. fem thor is jane foster with thor's powers and she isn't the first person to get his power not even the first woman. x23 taking up the mantel also isn't changing a long standing character logan is still a man and theirs like 3 different versions of him in the current universe. wolverine isn't a character its a title Logan is the character just as Daken was wolverine for a time.

10+ Year Old Account

If we look at hiring data, or callback studies, minority candidates have worse outcomes overall.

So one of two things are true;

1> Minorities are just inferior to white dudes, and their struggles reflect that, or
    2> Prejudice exists, and affects hiring outcomes.

If you're denying #2, you're implicitly endorsing #1.

Deleted
    None of your arguments work without that basis. The moment you admit that minority candidates can be just as qualified as white guys, the whole "hire people on merit, not diversity" argument falls completely to pieces, because you have to admit that they can do both.
    There ARE qualified women, black people, gay people etc. working in the industry, even in companies like Blizzard. The issue is with how many there are. Because these are either women or minorities. It should be self-explanatory why there are less minority people available, and there are less women applying for these jobs cause less women are interested in these jobs. They prefer to pick stuff like women's studies. If there are less people to pick from, you're gonna end up with less people. The only way to get more of those people in is by lowering the requirements for those people. This has been explained to you and other people many times.

- - - Updated - - -

If we look at hiring data, or callback studies, minority candidates have worse outcomes overall.

So one of two things are true;

1> Minorities are just inferior to white dudes, and their struggles reflect that, or
    2> Prejudice exists, and affects hiring outcomes.

If you're denying #2, you're implicitly endorsing #1.
    It's still

3> Minorities are minorities. There are fewer of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black female spiderman as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The X-23 as All New Wolverine comic was actually very good. Thor, not so much, although I have been told its selling well. Plus Wolverine (Logan) is back from the dead now (because lol Marvel), so he'll be back to returning to Wolverine within the year.
    whats wrong with mighty thor? I've enjoyed all of the comics are are on marvel unlimited so far unless it goes horrible wrong in later issues not yet released on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Black female spiderman as well.
    there have been like 50 different spider if you think any thing regarding them is new your horribly ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    whats wrong with mighty thor? I've enjoyed all of the comics are are on marvel unlimited so far unless it goes horrible wrong in later issues not yet released on it.
    I cannot get into Marvel outside of the X-Men side of comics, so it's probably just a personal gripe lol. I didn't even like male Thor's comics either... :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Diversity of ideas and points of view is always a benefit. Diversity of skin color or sex is pretty much pointless. It just happens to correlate, that you usually get diversity of ideas from people with different backgrounds.

Having a diversity is really pointless if you plan on hiring all your diversity groups from the same location. For example if you hire all your white, black and brown people who have grown up in Texas. You are just going to get more Texas... not necessarily the benefit of new ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's still

3> Minorities are minorities. There are fewer of them.
    Doesn't apply, since the items we're talking about are all adjusted for proportional population. Even these diversity policies. They don't require that you hire equal numbers of every single ethnic group, they require a proportional representation. Nobody's going to say your company's failing to hire diversity candidates because it has hired no Inuit employees (unless you're somewhere, like Nunavut, where Inuit are a reasonable percentage of the population).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I cannot get into Marvel outside of the X-Men side of comics, so it's probably just a personal gripe lol. I didn't even like male Thor's comics either... :P
    well i don't like any thor outside of mighty thor and the god butcher arch so i can't say i disagree with that. x-men has lost alot of its luster for me after the XvsA story line but i have been meaning to get back into them.

Deleted
    Doesn't apply, since the items we're talking about are all adjusted for proportional population. Even these diversity policies. They don't require that you hire equal numbers of every single ethnic group, they require a proportional representation. Nobody's going to say your company's failing to hire diversity candidates because it has hired no Inuit employees (unless you're somewhere, like Nunavut, where Inuit are a reasonable percentage of the population).
    Some of these minorities, just like women, also have a lower interest in these jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    The problem is that Americans are not qualified, black ones, white ones, the ones who have Vietnamese dads and a Irish moms, all of them. All of the talent is coming from India. At least in my line of work. I don't have a single resume from Italy, England, Canada, Texas, China, or even California. . . . I thought "maybe were using a temp agency that only hires from India" . . . nope, we don't use temp agencies for any position over the associate level.

So, I too would like to ask the question, where are all these qualified white, black, Asian, middle eastern, Hispanic Americans who are over qualified and not getting jobs. I am 399% certain that it has nothing to do with gender and skin color. . . I would take a black transgender, buffalo furry with a minor in Feminist Dance Theory that believes all men are satan incarnate if they meet the requirements of the job. . . shit man . . . . I would have taken them yesterday.
    The problem is at entry level. Few companies actually are looking to nurture individuals who will rise the ranks and when we do, it's pretty much cyclic based of the education system. The result is that we're deficient at higher levels all the while startups to mid-level companies cry that they can't find people who are experienced despite only bringing on and keeping so few new hires a year.

This, of course, is obfuscated by the bullshit people spread on the internet that H1B's are less competent and dramatically paid less at top companies...

Quote Originally Posted by Strangewayes View Post
    I was wondering what other people thought of Blizzards announced worldwide Diversity and Inclusion policy.

Personally I think it's a bad idea to have diversity quotas at companies. You are essentially turning down qualified passionate applicants for jobs in exchange for people either less qualified or less passionate in order to meet quotas of gender and ethnicity.

I think this will result in a drop of standards in Blizzard games, as they hire people either underqualified, or disinterested in the industry they are working in, or at worst, people who are simply political idealogues interested in positions to make a political statement rather that because they have an interest in games or gaming. (eg: see Bioware)
    I agree. I think that the most qualified person should get the job regardless of race, religion or gender. If you pass up a male because you want a female- you are actually being sexist........

Racism and sexism will continue to exist as long as we allow some form of it to exist or allow for it to exist under certain conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    The problem is that Americans are not qualified, black ones, white ones, the ones who have Vietnamese dads and a Irish moms, all of them. All of the talent is coming from India. At least in my line of work. I don't have a single resume from Italy, England, Canada, Texas, China, or even California. . . . I thought "maybe were using a temp agency that only hires from India" . . . nope, we don't use temp agencies for any position over the associate level.

So, I too would like to ask the question, where are all these qualified white, black, Asian, middle eastern, Hispanic Americans who are over qualified and not getting jobs. I am 399% certain that it has nothing to do with gender and skin color. . . I would take a black transgender, buffalo furry with a minor in Feminist Dance Theory that believes all men are satan incarnate if they meet the requirements of the job. . . shit man . . . . I would have taken them yesterday.
    I have to laugh at this. I used to work for Oracle (1983 - 1987). I still have a lot of friends there. When I come for a visit and walked through their office, it is like walking through New Delhi.