Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Because walls are an effective tool used literally everywhere humans want to stop humans from going. No wall is impenetrable, but the notion that they have no effect belies all modern history. They have been erected any number of places, to some good and some not good effect, depending on how many guard it.
    So if you have enough people to guard the entire length of the wall, why do you need a wall?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So if you have enough people to guard the entire length of the wall, why do you need a wall?
    Are....are you serious? Do you not understand that the wall just slows people down, or something? It's not impenetrable. If you don't guard it, they will just blow a hole in it or something, and drive right in. No part of any wall plan, in human history, involved just building it and then walking away and assuming the problem is fixed. Every defensive wall in human history was defended by troops, guards, look outs, or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    LOL Okay, let's see.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...umps-proposal/

The official Customs and Border Protection RFP calls for a 1,827 mile wall. My bad man, I was off by about one Berlin Wall.

The Immigration Act of 1917, along with Jim Crow and the Chinese Exclusion Act, are regarded as racist historic mistakes. So much so that noted racist, President Woodrow Wilson actually veto'd the act (he was overruled) because he thought it violated American principles, which it did. It was also condemned nationally and internationally at the time.

So let's be clear, you using as a positive example a profoundly dark episode of our history. Something like the Immigration Act of 1917 is something to not be repeated.

It was also progressively waived cut back and repealed in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. It was essentially gone by 1952. But that was the official end to something that had been abandoned in all but name for nearly 15 years by that point.

Your little racist immigration ban was barely a thing after 1940.

So we're just another country now, eh? Actually no. We're not. We're supposed to be excpetional. We're a country founded on an idea. Not an ethnicity. Not a race. Not a homogenious people. Your ideas are much more in sync with some European enclave, home to a distinct and ancient culture that streched back to the Middle Ages. America is a melting pot. A melting pot needs new ingrediants. We assimilate. That means they take and give, and we take give.

America should be eager to let refugees and foreigners settle here and start lives here. It has only served to enrich us economically, politically and culturally. Moreover, economically, we'll need as many workers as we can get in decades ahead. There are already more jobs than there are workers to fill them. Remember: white America isn't having kids. Latino America is. And without a growing population, our economic growth and our ability to sustain Social Security and Medicare vanish.

European countries, with low levels of immigration, are going to have to gut their welfare states because they too are not having kids. The US welfare state is not nearly as comprehensive as Europe (thank god), but our ability to sustain what we do have is dependent on the same factors.

Cherrry picking diseases? Smallpox, Cholera and Yellow Fever, along with influenza, together constituted the bulk of deaths from infectous disease in the United States over the past 500 years.

The resurgence in Measels and Mumps? It is due to overseas infection and lack of vaccination by anti-vaxxers. And we're still talking 117 cases so far in 2017 in a country of 325 million.

And there's no "other issues". You're making shit up, as usual.

I mean, you're a habitual liar. You have fraudulent faux-conservative principles that can be pretyt much summed up as "I'm uneducated and I hate things". You got a real paranoid streak. And I mean, the part that I find particularly hilarious is you think "Joe Skroeborough" is an insult. The guy, Joe Scarorough was one of the most conservative members of the House in the 1990s. He, like most decent conservatives, want simply nothing to do with well, frankly, nuts, like you. Because the thoughts that exist in your head are morally offensive to any decent person.

I mean, really... what do you want me to do? Conform my political opinion into some whacko racist version where the Immigration Act of 1917 was somehow good policy, just like you evidently think? Give me a fucking break man. Politically obliterating you alt-right lunatics is the moral imperative of our time."Joe Skroborough" it is, because your un-American ideas have no place in any kind of decent political discourse. You're just a voice of a thuggish, angry, uneducated mob.

It should not be shocking that we choose the aspiring immigrant over the likes of you. I mean really, look at yourself. How is building a 2000 mile wall at all consistent with American virtues? We litterally have a Republican President arguably most well known for "tear down this wall". It was the same concept. Americans are bridge builders. You alt-right racists though... not you.
    Did you legit just use a news story that cites an opponent of the wall, as the source for your info?? REALLY? Yeah, no. Everyone knows the wall won't run the middle of the fucking Rio Grande. NOBODY is planning for that. You are lying. Why not be honest, instead? I mean, we get it, you hate Trump. You hate him so much, you have changed your political ideology. That seems a little weird to me but, to each his own. But the bottom line is, you can't be taken seriously when you tell these wild lies.

I didn't have the patience to read the rest of your rant. I will just assume it was as filled with lies as the part I responded to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah.. The scent of cheap budget concrete, guess Trump didn't like the idea that some students offered him, with solar panels and stuff.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand how they think a simple wall is going to solve the illegal immigrant issue. If there's a will there's a way.

Looks nice though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    I don't understand how they think a simple wall is going to solve the illegal immigrant issue. If there's a will there's a way.

Looks nice though.
    They don't think it will, in fact they know it'll have little to no effect and be more or less impossible to build. But they campaigned on it, and so they'll stick to it, no mater what, safe in the knowledge that it'll never actually happen and that they can blame the Democrats for it and for not "keeping America safe".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    That wall is going to do jack;

Damn I would kill for Hollywood to make movies like this again. This and anything with Leslie Nielsen was the golden era of comedy.

This is factually a fake photo. None of the designs being considered are solid like this. All are see through, so security can see who approaches.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have a fence, it's harder for your dog to run off. Why deny the benefits of geometry? Are you a geometry denier?

Where you against it when a majority of current sitting Senators (including Hillary), and a majority of current sitting Congressmen (including Pelosi), voted for build a fence on the border, extending the current 600 miles of existing fencing to 900 miles?

- - - Updated - - -

How does ~50b wreck the economy?? Trillions flow through Washington every year, more than any city on Earth. They won't miss it even.

- - - Updated - - -

Name one wall in history that stopped no one. Name one wall in history that was left unguarded, as you suppose.
    I can’t say whether the picture is fake or real. The background does look right. I do know six of the companies that won the prototype contracts: Caddell Construction Co. of Montgomery, Alabama, and W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Co. of Philadelphia, Mississippi, Fisher Sand & Gravel Co. of Tempe, Arizona, Texas Sterling Construction Co. of Houston, KWR Construction Inc. of Sierra Vista, Arizona, and ELTA North America Inc. of Annapolis Junction, Maryland. I also know for sure that three of them are doing some type of concrete wall.

uh..... they know people already dig tunnels, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I can’t say whether the picture is fake or real. The background does look right. I do know six of the companies that won the prototype contracts: Caddell Construction Co. of Montgomery, Alabama, and W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Co. of Philadelphia, Mississippi, Fisher Sand & Gravel Co. of Tempe, Arizona, Texas Sterling Construction Co. of Houston, KWR Construction Inc. of Sierra Vista, Arizona, and ELTA North America Inc. of Annapolis Junction, Maryland. I also know for sure that three of them are doing some type of concrete wall.
    None of the prototypes are opaque. I'm kind of amazed you guys made it this far in to the thread, without knowing the picture was so obviously fake.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    uh..... they know people already dig tunnels, right?
    This is akin to saying cops should not wear bullet proof vests, because they could just get shot in the arm anyway. The idea is to slow them down. Digging a tunnel is just SLIGHTLY more work than causally strolling across a barrier free, invisible line on the ground.

None of the prototypes are opaque. I'm kind of amazed you guys made it this far in to the thread, without knowing the picture was so obviously fake.

- - - Updated - - -

This is akin to saying cops should not wear bullet proof vests, because they could just get shot in the arm anyway. The idea is to slow them down. Digging a tunnel is just SLIGHTLY more work than causally strolling across a barrier free, invisible line on the ground.
    Not if the tunnels are already there.

Aww I was hoping for something more along the lines of

- - - Updated - - -

How do you know none of the designs are opaque? You have any renderings that these companies did of the wall?

You probably didn't even know which companies were awarded the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    How do you know none of the designs are opaque? You have any renderings that these companies did of the wall?

You probably didn't even know which companies were awarded the contract.
    Trump has publicly stated that he did not realize the walls needs to be see through. He said this after reviewing the four plans. Others have said similar things. All of our current fencing/walls maintain visibility to the other side. It is what it is. /shrug

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Aww I was hoping for something more along the lines of

It needs a "big beautiful door" though.

7+ Year Old Account
    Other than Trump claiming the 8 prototypes would be see-through, it appears that wasn't factual.

Photo Fox News Story used-

Nypost used -

Syracuse used -

Most of the medias outlets are using different pictures from each other (different distances/angles). The 2 or 3 styles shown thus far have not been see-through.

Either these people have been wasting their time building these samples the past few days, or they're actually being considered.
    Last edited by -Nurot; 2017-10-09 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Not if the tunnels are already there.
    You don't seem to understand, so it's not worth a lot of effort on my part. But, I would point out as a matter of fact that tunnels are dug, then found, then dug again, over and over, in an endless cycle.

Are....are you serious? Do you not understand that the wall just slows people down, or something? It's not impenetrable. If you don't guard it, they will just blow a hole in it or something, and drive right in. No part of any wall plan, in human history, involved just building it and then walking away and assuming the problem is fixed. Every defensive wall in human history was defended by troops, guards, look outs, or something.
    So... you don't need the wall?

It's funny because I was going to post all the things you just posted, but decided to leave my reply punchier. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Damn I would kill for Hollywood to make movies like this again. This and anything with Leslie Nielsen was the golden era of comedy.
    well, they did, until the scary movie writers ran it into the ground.

So... you don't need the wall?

It's funny because I was going to post all the things you just posted, but decided to leave my reply punchier. LOL.
    If you can't keep up with a very basic concept, such as walls slow people down long enough for security to arrive and detain them, then I doubt I can break it down any further for you. /shrug

If you want to test your logic, to see how it works, just let your dog outside in a fenced yard for 10 minutes without looking. Then go do the same thing in a yard with no fence. If you find the results to be identical, get back with me afterwards.

If you can't keep up with a very basic concept, such as walls slow people down long enough for security to arrive and detain them, then I doubt I can break it down any further for you. /shrug

If you want to test your logic, to see how it works, just let your dog outside in a fenced yard for 10 minutes without looking. Then go do the same thing in a yard with no fence. If you find the results to be identical, get back with me afterwards.
    But if you have enough people to man the entire wall, a better analogy would be you letting your dog out in a yard with no fence but instead he's surrounded by guys with nets.

But if you have enough people to man the entire wall, a better analogy would be you letting your dog out in a yard with no fence but instead he's surrounded by guys with nets.
    Your analogy is hilarious. Thank you for posting it. In your scenario, the dog still gets away, and we have to pay more people, spending more money, who are then put at risk of physical harm.

Did you intend to make a case for my side, or is this just a humorous level of misunderstanding?