Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Whats it like to live in Sweden?

So there is a ex-patriot job at my company that I am considering applying for that would have me living in Sweden for awhile. I'm not sure really what I want to do, so I thought i'd ask the forum.

Whats it like to live in Sweden? Whats there to do there in terms of fun / outdoors type things.

Are there any things that I should be aware of before making the decision to move there for awhile? (Political landscape, crime, etc.)

Deleted
    Uhh.. very bad. Swedens die - all of them. They are funny, if you ask some Swede why Ikea is everywhere he will tell you "I don't shop at Ikea!" - they are like Americans who deny to be McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    Uhh.. very bad. Swedens die - all of them. They are funny, if you ask some Swede why Ikea is everywhere he will tell you "I don't shop at Ikea!" - they are like Americans who deny to be McDonalds.
    Everyone dies so you probably couldn't post a more unhelpful reply.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Sweden where Ikea originates though? I'm sure several people who live there shop for household stuff at Ikea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    Oh, hi Jaylock.
    Hey what up man

Deleted
    Didn't you hear? Sweden is a warzone, rape capital of the world, religion gangs killing each other on the streets, it's become a Muslim country, all women wear burqas. It's a hellhole ... at least according to some people.

In reality, it's an amazing country!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So there is a ex-patriot job at my company that I am considering applying for that would have me living in Sweden for awhile. I'm not sure really what I want to do, so I thought i'd ask the forum.

Whats it like to live in Sweden? Whats there to do there in terms of fun / outdoors type things.

Are there any things that I should be aware of before making the decision to move there for awhile? (Political landscape, crime, etc.)
    It's basically like syria, just colder.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Everyone dies so you probably couldn't post a more unhelpful reply.
    I am not racist... but I thought it was helpful when a human moves to other humans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    I haven't lived in Syria, so I still don't know what you mean.

How is Sweden like Syria?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven French View Post
    LUL, accurate description in some places in Sweden. Doesn't feel like Sweden in some places because there's so many arabs everywhere.

Deleted
    Swedish people are "cold" dont expect to make many friends. People dont like standing close to others, or sitting next to someone on the bus/tram. It's a cold and dark country during the winter but its probably one of the most naturistic countries aswell. If you like the outdoor theres tons and tons of hikes you can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Chan View Post
    Swedish people are "cold" dont expect to make many friends. People dont like standing close to others, or sitting next to someone on the bus/tram. It's a cold and dark country during the winter but its probably one of the most naturistic countries aswell. If you like the outdoor theres tons and tons of hikes you can do.
    So are people just rude to each other there then? Its kind of weird if people are just shut off by the presence of other people around them.

I ask that because here, riding the bus or getting on a tram or something, people are usually pretty nice and talkative. Sure some people keep to themselves, but its pretty lively.

I live in a state where its sunny close to 300 days of the year, so maybe that has something to do with how lively people are.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    "Send nudes, not nukes."

(booze also fine)

E: Think you'll find a basic google/wiki more trustworthy than the replies you'll get here if you really want to know. If you've never seen snow I think you should do it. Just make sure to get out in the sun when it's there during winter as hours of daylight are few and many need supplementary vitamins or they end up with depression during winter. Majority of swedes will welcome you with open arms, after-ski is always a riot and skiing is not a requirement to attend though it's definitely fun to try if you haven't
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2017-10-09 at 11:50 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Deleted
    I don't think you will like their political state. They are not that much different but very honest hence they hate people who fake big dicks when they actually need help.

I am not racist... but I thought it was helpful when a human moves to other humans?
    Good to know I guess? Not sure why you brought that up since no one said you were.

Deleted

This forum is mostly composed of Americans and the occassional far right type from Europe. You aren't going to get a very balanced perspective, assuming you aren't trolling (which seems likely). It is better to ask this type of question on a non-political forum.

Here you go Jaylock!

https://sweden.se/society/20-things-...ing-to-sweden/

As for living here, just stay clear of select neighbourhoods around the country, and you'll be enjoying the Swedish prosperity just fine!

Watch the Cohen Bros movie "Fargo", it's just like that.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted

I ask that because here, riding the bus or getting on a tram or something, people are usually pretty nice and talkative. Sure some people keep to themselves, but its pretty lively.
    Is that before or after they shoot each other?

Deleted
    Where are you from? Its important, lets say you are from US, then the Swedish Conservatives party is left of the US democratic party, but if you compare the Swedish Conservatives party on a European scale its a right-party.