Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Ogres & The Horde

How important are ogres in the Horde at this point? The only ogre clan that's an official Horde member on equal footing with the other races are the Stonemauls which were brought back into the Horde by Rexxar during the Founding of Orgimmar, but aside from a NPC in MoP, they really don't play that big of a role within the Horde.

So...what exactly is the current status of Horde ogres? Is Blizzard just being too lazy to write them into thw Horde story? And, do you think ogres should play a bigger role in the Horde? I know ogres are one of the most requested races and they're pretty iconic as a Horde race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Well if their presence (or their lack of presence) is an indication of status within the Horde I would say not very much. Rexxar's duel to claim leadership over the Stonemaul was more or less a means to an end so I doubt he in specific, or the Horde in general, really had a great deal of interest in cultivating the Ogres as force within the Horde. The Stonemaul as a result have only a loose allegiance to the Horde and aren't really considered a client race in the same way the Orcs, Trolls, or even the Forsaken are. The closest similar relation would be the pre-Cata Revantusk Tribe in the Hinterlands - they were friendly with the Horde but yet not quite part of the Horde, and still held a binding loyalty to Zul'jin.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Ogre's aren't organized. They aren't a unified nation. There isn't an established head of leadership for the Ogres as a people. The most they have are leaders of clans. But beyond the Warchief there aren't any Ogre representatives of any kind that are looking out for the Ogre's interests. Often we see Ogres employed by goblins because they're cheap muscle who don't know any better. All of this is kind of moot, though, because the Ogres seem mostly content to just live their day to day without much problems or ambition of any kind. Horde Ogre magi reaching for power beyond their understanding, or Ogre shaman trying to lead their people to a great destiny with fantastical visions... we don't really see a lot of that, if ever. They just eat, work, sleep, and repeat - if we ever see them at all. They don't seem to have any natural enemies nor do they seem to want to expand their territories since the Horde has displayed dominance and made it clear that them doing that isn't okay unless they tell them to. What smart ogres we see in the novels all tend to die immediately.

Lunk I think would take the Ogre's best interests at heart, but I don't think he would be able to command their loyalty without strength. Maybe if Tormmok won leadership of all the Horde's Ogre clans, and appointed Lunk as his adviser, the Ogres could have a shot at earning a place as an honorable unified nation of the Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Ogre's aren't organized. They aren't a unified nation. There isn't an established head of leadership for the Ogres as a people. The most they have are leaders of clans. But beyond the Warchief there aren't any Ogre representatives of any kind that are looking out for the Ogre's interests. Often we see Ogres employed by goblins because they're cheap muscle who don't know any better. All of this is kind of moot, though, because the Ogres seem mostly content to just live their day to day without much problems or ambition of any kind. Horde Ogre magi reaching for power beyond their understanding, or Ogre shaman trying to lead their people to a great destiny with fantastical visions... we don't really see a lot of that, if ever. They just eat, work, sleep, and repeat - if we ever see them at all. They don't seem to have any natural enemies nor do they seem to want to expand their territories since the Horde has displayed dominance and made it clear that them doing that isn't okay unless they tell them to. What smart ogres we see in the novels all tend to die immediately.

Lunk I think would take the Ogre's best interests at heart, but I don't think he would be able to command their loyalty without strength. Maybe if Tormmok won leadership of all the Horde's Ogre clans, and appointed Lunk as his adviser, the Ogres could have a shot at earning a place as an honorable unified nation of the Horde.
    This is it on the dot. Putting it simply: Ogres as a whole are not a very reliable ally to the Horde due to lack of coordination and intelligence. It is basically "Ogre, smash!"
    World of Warcraft (Retail): Frostmourne - Alliance
    World of Warcraft (Classic): Remulos - Alliance

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Not important at all. They are less meaningful than tauren and that is achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelium View Post
    This is it on the dot. Putting it simply: Ogres as a whole are not a very reliable ally to the Horde due to lack of coordination and intelligence. It is basically "Ogre, smash!"
    Should've brought some Gorians back across the Dark Portal after WoD...

Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Maybe that's still on the cards.

Deleted
    Aren't there only like 2 clans in the Horde. Stonemaul and the ones in Tanaris who join during the questing?

Currently they aren't important but if happily see them welcomed back into the fold. Have rexxar rally a few more clans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    Aren't there only like 2 clans in the Horde. Stonemaul and the ones in Tanaris who join during the questing?

Currently they aren't important but if happily see them welcomed back into the fold. Have rexxar rally a few more clans.
    Would be cool to see more ogres and Mok'Nathal represented in the Horde. I want to see the Ogri'la along with the remaining mag'har orcs and the Mok'Nathal being ported to Orgrimmar.

It would be cool to see an ogre city like Highmaul if they were ever to become a playable race (Maybe in Duskwallow Marsh?).

The Gorian Empire is pretty heavily based on Greco-Roman themes and aesthetics, so maybe Blizz could mix some cyclops mythos into playable ogres, maybe Azeroth ogres relearning ancient forging and crafting lost to the Gorian Empire or even being taught by one of the remaining Titan Keepers, considering ogres have Titanic origins.

Would be cool to see more ogres and Mok'Nathal represented in the Horde. I want to see the Ogri'la along with the remaining mag'har orcs and the Mok'Nathal being ported to Orgrimmar.

It would be cool to see an ogre city like Highmaul if they were ever to become a playable race (Maybe in Duskwallow Marsh?).

The Gorian Empire is pretty heavily based on Greco-Roman themes and aesthetics, so maybe Blizz could mix some cyclops mythos into playable ogres, maybe Azeroth ogres relearning ancient forging and crafting lost to the Gorian Empire or even being taught by one of the remaining Titan Keepers, considering ogres have Titanic origins.
    Dire Maul could be turned into a contested territory between the Horde and Alliance through a night elve and ogre proxy war. Would make the zone a lot more fun. The same could be said for the Burning Steppes, where the Dark Iron would fight the orcs, ogres and trolls still left there.

Deleted
    Ogres are a pretty large part of the Horde.

They are just not shown alot in the army currently because they are not playable.
    Lore-wise there are like 3 Ogre clans part of the Horde and not very small clans.

There should be more Horde Ogres then Troll, Goblins and maybe even Taurens around.
    Its pretty sad that blizzard is not doing anything with them sofar last time they got involved was in the Cata remake of old zones.
    But if you have the use of big large and strong beings then ofc would use them against your enemy it is the logical way of warfare in a fantasy setting.
    Last edited by mmoc2b606a4969; 2017-10-10 at 01:47 PM.

Deleted
    I just hope that one day in an Azeroth not far far away. I'll be able to play as Ogre

It's a shame that the ogres of the Horde aren't given more of a role. They always just characterize the big, dumb, faceless muscle, without getting stories of their own - I think the last time Horde ogres even had any sort of story development (besides Rexxar) it was in Cataclysm's old world revamp. They've certainly has far less than High Elves, their Alliance counterpart (by which I mean foundational race that is still non-playable), who've consistently taken leading roles in their faction's stories.

I would like to see more relevant ogres. But, just from the way they've been presented in Duskwallow and Feralas, I don't think Stonemaul are the way to go. The great thing about ogres, though, is that they're on every continent, they're seafarers, and most of them have been left to their own devices since the 2nd War. We know that they're capable of raising vast empires, building complex societies, commanding daunting magics. We could easily see some yet-unseen and unincorporated ogre tribe of wise magi and diplomatic legislators rejoining the Horde, to save themselves from the universal revulsion that most ogres face.

I've said this elsewhere, but a lot of the key battlegrounds of the 2nd War don't yet exist in game. Crestfall, Balor, Zul'Dare, the Channel Islands - you could even toss Northern Lordaeron or Kul Tiras in there. That means, if they do make it into a future expansion, Blizzard will have a blank slate on the past two decades of history. Imagine an island of austere ogre priests and mystics, toiling in the newly-built spires of an isolated city-state, led by some high two-headed magistrix who guides them in their delving of light and shadow.

Another thing I've noticed. Most classes have a Horde race for whom the practice of that discipline is a major part of their culture. From Farstriders to Shattered Hand spies to the Shadow Council. But none of the Horde races seem to have a major priestly tradition/organization. I'd like to see some new, more intellectual faction of ogres join the Horde, and perhaps emphasize light and void.

Hmmm, maybe... If I had any idea what Gorians are.

Not meant to be rude.
    Last edited by Mythabay; 2017-10-10 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Realised that it might seem rude...

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.

Not meant to be rude.

Goria was a giant Ogre island if I recall correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Not meant to be rude.
    The Gorian Empire was the ogre empire that dominated much of Draenor, pictured here:

Think of them as ogre Romans...

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Goria was a giant Ogre island if I recall correctly.
    Goria was the capital of the Ogre empire before it was destroyed by the Orc shaman, Shattrath is built on top of its ruins.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

The Gorian Empire was the ogre empire that dominated much of Draenor.

Think of them as ogre Romans...
    Roman Ogres???? I'm in love.... Greeks are better though. Hehehehee

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Goria was the capital of the Ogre empire before it was destroyed by the Orc shaman, Shattrath is built on top of its ruins.
    Ugh I have to re-read CHronicle 2
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Ahhh, I thought Shattrath was built on top of a Legion stronghold... That is the last time I trust my old man with Lore.