Poll: Is it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is Lore an Important Factor?

Is Lore an important factor of the game for you? Due you like the game because of the game's story.

It is for me. Lore is everything to me and the game wouldn't be good to me without the Lore.
    Last edited by Mythabay; 2017-10-10 at 04:54 AM.
    World of Warcraft (Retail): Frostmourne - Alliance
    World of Warcraft (Classic): Remulos - Alliance

No, I'd still be raiding Mythic with my friends with or without the lore, even if they start replacing bosses with alpha boxes like they used to in PTR

Personally, I see WoW lore as the icing, not the cake. I do enjoy reading / categorizing / speculating about it, but I wouldn't really care much if it doesn't exist either.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Very. I would never have gotten into this game if it wasn't for wc2 and wc3. Doesn't mean I expect the story quality of a book that the author took 10 years to write like some people here seem to expect.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelium View Post
    Is Lore an important factor of the game for you? Due you like the game because of the game's story.

It is for me. Lore is everything to me and the game wouldn't be good to me without the Lore.
    After basic playability, it is the most important factor for the game. If i can't find the story interesting, i will find very litthe push to complete the original leveling experience and play through the follwing patch content.

It is also the main factor for me to complete normal mode of raids, since i get to experience the story of the game through it. I can easily see, that i have enjoyed some raids more then others simply because the story the raid was telling was more interesting.

In Legion i was originally pushed to see how the Sylvanas story would go and i kept playing to see how the Suramar story-line would end. Right now, i don't play as much because the Argus story-line is bullshit and there is not really anything interesting going on right now. I have a feeling, that if Blizzard can't create a good story for 8.0, i would proberly not be playing.

When it comes to MMOs, other games does raiding, leveling and questing alot better then Blizzard, but WoW is the only game which creates a story every expansion with a huge potential, which keeps me coming back. That they then nearly always disaapoint is another thing and i don't know how long i will stay around if they keep doing it.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    No, I'd still be raiding Mythic with my friends with or without the lore, even if they start replacing bosses with alpha boxes like they used to in PTR

Personally, I see WoW lore as the icing, not the cake. I do enjoy reading / categorizing / speculating about it, but I wouldn't really care much if it doesn't exist either.

Really interesting point of view you have there!

I'm trying to imagine if I would still play in the same position... I dunno? Maybe if my friends were.

I still love the lore and will always love the lore and i still have nerdgasms when a NPC does something awesome or dies.

Though all this world souls has left me a tad confused i still enjoy it.

I honestly have moved on from achievements and gear now but i still mount farm but its the lore that makes me certain i will buy the next xpac and the next until blizz says 'Thats yer lot!'

10+ Year Old Account
    Back when I was playing, I didn't pay attention at all to the lore. Skipped all the quest text. Skipped all the cutscenes. Paying attention to the lore is something I did outside of raiding/grinding. I only started looking into the lore about 6 years after I started playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is lore?

Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me.

No more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    It is important factor, but it would be nice if it got a little better. And by little i mean hire proper writers blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Extremely important for me. The mechanical aspects of playing the game are rather boring after 13 years of continual play - but I still enjoy the story of the game and primarily play to see the new content, enjoy the leveling experience, and to explore the game world's story.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Back when I was playing, I didn't pay attention at all to the lore. Skipped all the quest text. Skipped all the cutscenes. Paying attention to the lore is something I did outside of raiding/grinding. I only started looking into the lore about 6 years after I started playing.
    A bit funny to read that, since over half the time I see you posting, you actually give solid proof and show a blue-post regarding lore!

But yeah, the lore is important to me. Especially as I RP and I want to make sure that when I create my own stuff and events, I want to be on the creative side, but want to make sure I don't go "out of the boundries" - though sometimes even that can be hard when there are some subjects that haven't been touched on in regards to what is capable of happening in Warcraft.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    yes, and it would be even more important if they never had people like Knaak touch it and hired actual competent writers.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

Deleted
    The poll is biased based in the subforum posted :P

Other than that lore is what keeps me sane and engaged after running the same content a gazillion times. (lore and logs ofc).

7+ Year Old Account
    I became invested in Warcraft's storyline a long time ago so yes, watching it develop is as important to me as its raid and class mechanics.
    Even if these days the lore is pretty awful
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

It's important but less so than most gameplay related aspects. For example the progression system whatever form it will be is more important than lore. I would even argue that you don't even need a good narrative to make a good MMORPG. Lore is there first and foremost to provide settings.

I'd like consistency for the story, but unfortunately blizz has a bad habit of flip flopping a lot.

For me - yes. For Blizzard - not anymore.

Warcraft's pinnacle of story and lore was W3 RoC/TFT. It have great story build up, twists and characters arcs. I really recommend people who play RTS try it out. But since Warcraft become MMO its story and lore become worse with release of each expansion. Why? There different reasons. Starting from two factions format and ending with how Blizzard represents PC characters in current events.

WoW ruined many good characters from vanilla W3 like Arthas, Kael'Thas, Tyrande, Thrall and others. The only good lore from WoW i saw were Old Gods but it also was part of lore from W3 storyline.

Making good story in MMO is hard. The best i seen were SW TOR / Final Fantasy / Wildstar.
    Last edited by Jack Ivanov; 2017-10-10 at 02:33 PM.

It is for me. I enjoy learning about the story, even if things are outdated. It's fun to see what they've planned for a while in regards to things like world-souls and things like that. I especially enjoy seeing what pieces of lore they've dredged up from the catacombs for different expansions - like an entire zone about Deathwing's lair and Huln Highmountain in Legion.

I feel lore is important to the overall story of an expansion as well. It dictates the theme, which includes the art direction, pets, mounts, armor/weapons, enemies, raids/dungeons, battlegrounds, and everything in-between.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

its the main reason i keep playing, if not for an interest in Lore i would have stopped in MOP when i stop raiding beyond LFR for few years to IRL issues. Lore is also the only reason i started and kept playing as one of my first games ever was Warcraft Orcs and Humans.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Yes and No.

I LIKED the game for the lore, loved it.

Nowadays I'm not as invested in it as I was due entirely to Blizzard's writers completely uninterested in writing interesting characters who aren't human, elves or undead versions of said races.