Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    It's a good thing lower difficulties have lower rewards, don't need to clear raid 4 times per reset.
    But you still do, thanks to titanforge and how legendaries work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoradim View Post
    need an item squish and scaling squish
    its not sustainable to have 45 ilvl difference in 1 tier, make that 15, its just too much
    It's due to having 4 difficulties out of necessity (Content hardly anybody runs is a waste of development resources), and having to keep going up a difficulty meaningful, who would bother with mythic if it's only 5 itemlevels up from heroic?

Gear improvements need to be big enough to make it feel rewarding to keep doing the ol' gear treadmill, because when you come down to it, that's the basic game structure of WoW: Do stuff, get better gear.

The first sentance of OT is wrong. If you hang around these forums, every couple of days/weeks there a new thread about stat/lvl/ilvl squish.

Blizzard themselves said that they will probably do something about it in the near future, but i really don't see the problem people have with big numbers.

Whats the difference between having 100, 10k or 1mil? The only thing that does matter, is the relative scale of the content to your own stats.

Madness will consume you!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    We were hitting in the 100k's mark in MoP when they deemed it as a must fix. We're now hit in the 1m's. It's going to happen. The fact of the matter is the numbers are so large they are mind-numbing to a majority of the playerbase, therefor a squish is undeniably imminent. It's quite evident that they have been trying to design a future-proofing stat squish system into the game since before WoD. With the scaling technology we see in Legion, it's pretty clear the next expansion will have it incorporated, where damage and percentages are based around character level. I expect them to role us visually back to WotLK-type numbers (at max level) and slowly scale upwards to make us feel slightly more powerful. When Legion becomes the "old" expansion in the near future, I'd like to see it in the TBC numbers range, and WoD and older in the vanilla range. That would feel appropriate to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    But you still do, thanks to titanforge and how legendaries work.
    Titanforging over 30 item levels is so unlikely that it is simply waste of time to run Normal and LFR.

And you don't at this point have all your legendaries for your mainspec, you either have just rerolled, or haven't played enough before this point so it is only your fault you still need to grind them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macilento View Post
    I see no one talking about this. I don't know if it's because people take it as a given or because they don't care having 1 billion dps on screen.

I personally think we are already in Legion WAYYYY past the mark of what is an "acceptable and humanly pleasing number" on screen.
    I really cannot identify myself or even udnerstand how much i'm doing when yo see 1 Milion damage or healing.

SO i hope the next item squish comes fast.
    Mandatory .. no. Would be nice to have .. yes

However I can live with it if they compress it. Since we now have HP's of 4-8M and dps of 1M+ hits, 4000K - 8000K Hp and 1000K+ hits would seem pretty good. Some customization can be done as preferred by each player to either keep the numbers, have them compress to the example above or even say 4000 in a different color (for hits) instead of 4000K to differentiate.

I will prefer the latter or at least an addon that can do that.

Stat squish will get messy and it's likely that we'll end up right in the same spot fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    First squish was not needed... A second one is even less called for..
    First squish was actually required because of the systems limitations at the time. Note that Garrosh had to heal each time he switched phases because his health was too high for the games code to actually work. If not for that then every single boss would have to reset its health until they switched the system from a 32 bit integer.

On the topic I'm pretty sure we've already been told that we may see a stat squish and the scale-able world content was supposed to actually test the waters to see how they could add that into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilento View Post
    If it was for me i would do one every expansion. I would have already done this in Legion. I am really not a fan of huge numbers on screen, makes eveyrthing look retarded and also quite pointless. I mean what kind of game allows you to do 1 million damage, 5 million damge and so on.

And i thought the good old 9999 damage from Final Fantasy was high lol.

In a Wow context i'd say that around 100.000 is the max an ability should hit
    This is one part of the "progress" or "character development" illusion. It suggests an ongoing player power increasement, especially in combination with outdated content. The lastest content is always tuned around the player power you have in the latest content, ergo your effective player power never change. The illusion of never ending "progress" is one of the secrets of wow's success. To deal 100k , 1mil or 5mil damage is not important for the game, but for the player.

Deleted
    And if we keep squishing every expansion we will end up with going from 200 Hp to 230 in 85 levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    Get off your high horse.

When your skills are critting for 1.5 million on a 5,7 Million health bar of another player, you realize it's absolutly pointless for it to have so many zeroes. There will be literally no difference - it's just visual polution, which is terrible for a game that wants to delay as much information, as cleanly as possible in it's UI.

It serves absolutly no purpose but some power fantasy for D&D weebs for the numbers to be this high in the first place.
    And to actually be able to level up for 110 levels. Or do we want to be almost at the same power for 100 levels? Because if we keep squishing that's what will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Millyraynge View Post
    This is one part of the "progress" or "character development" illusion. It suggests an ongoing player power increasement, especially in combination with outdated content. The lastest content is always tuned around the player power you have in the latest content, ergo your effective player power never change. The illusion of never ending "progress" is one of the secrets of wow's success. To deal 100k , 1mil or 5mil damage is not important for the game, but for the player.
    Of course the content is always balanced around max level characters.

Doesn't mean there is no progress. On 930 gear I can pull massive packs and AoE them down with ease. With 830 even a single end game mod is a struggle to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Of course the content is always balanced around max level characters.

Doesn't mean there is no progress. On 930 gear I can pull massive packs and AoE them down with ease. With 830 even a single end game mod is a struggle to beat.
    As I said, it's just a part of the illusion. With 930 gear you should do stuff which is tuned around 930. Everything else isn't relevant and/or outdated content in terms of character development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Millyraynge View Post
    As I said, it's just a part of the illusion. With 930 gear you should do stuff which is tuned around 930. Everything else isn't relevant and/or outdated content in terms of character development.
    I do Argus. That's the highest world content there is.

Even mythic raids get easier with 930 gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    I think a squish has been mostly confirmed by now. It's only logical. No worries, it'll be in next expansion.

I just wonder how much the lower levels can still be compressed...
    Incoming FFXI skill gain levels!

Monster takes .1 damage...
    Player gets healed for .2 HP!

Jk... Dont hate me

I have the feeling that Blizzard is not in a rush to do another squish anytime soon.

My only issue with the stat squish is that it would feel very strange that we're dealing less damage even though we're getting significantly stronger in the lore. But, since we're dumping our super powerful weapons next expansion I can kinda see this happening.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

It must be a massive undertaking but i agree it is long overdue, and i'm suprised they blew up the numbers so soon after the last squish. I personally thought it was getting stupid really early in the xpac and leading to bad balance.

they've already said they were doing a stat squish next expac(they wanted to do it with legion but didn't have time)

The easiest thing to do (long term, not necessarily short term) would be to do a squish with every expansion's X.0 pre-patch. Take the exponentially scaling gear of the current expansion and move it into a linear scaling system that simply continues the line from where the previous expansion ended, so the massive jump in ilvl doesn't mean an insane curve in the ball of stats on the gear.

For example, after the original stat squish in MoP, the plate legs from Garrosh had 60 str, 108 stam, and 84 points of secondary stats. Now compare tier legs from HFC the next expansion, and we're already back up to 292 main stat, 244 stam, and 388 secondary stats. At the end of HFC, instead of running up into Legion numbers in 7.0 and beyond, squish those stats back down in 7.0 to make it linear with the end of MoP and then have the exponential scaling kick in with Legion gear. Rinse and repeat.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ReleaseDay View Post
    Number squish already broke the game once. If anything, they should reverse that + account for the numbers in WOD, LEG and next xpack. A counter-squish, increase the numbers.
    That was because they didn't do it properly, vanilla numbers got like massively increased, now you got 11000 hp level 60 characters, and the scaling up to 60-90 isn't linear at all but massively compressed.

Now the 32 bit whatever limitation they had is gone and they can do 1000 itemlevels more properly from scratch.

Last stat squish I expected WotLK numbers but it wasn't even close. Maybe this time they will do it.