Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blade Runner 2049, if you liked the first movie you'll love this. Villenueve is the best working director making movies on the reg imo.

Blade Runner 2049 9/10

A bold yet subtle film. Great acting and the cinematography in Blade Runner 2049 is un-fucking-real. This film is among Deakins' best works- that is not to be taken lightly whatsoever. This cinematography is important work.

Direction is also terrific. Incredible willingness to sit on scenes and establish tone through silence. Gosling is fabulous- his reactive acting style fits like a glove in the context of the film and narrative. This is more noir than the original but less dreamlike & soporific.

The narrative is the weakest point of the film. However, it's actually pretty involved and complex relative to the first film. In fact, it relies a lot on your secondary understanding of the first film.

It is extremely impressive what is on display here in the 2017 Hollywood film industry. The movie is slow paced, artful, quiet and assumes a fairly robust knowledge of a niche 35 year old science fiction film without a lot of exposition. That's bold. It is bold to ask this of a modern audience and offer no apology for doing so.

Spectacular film.

Edit: The music is not as good, but the sound design is EXCELLENT.

So i stayed away from all spoilers for Blade Runner 2049 because im in the cult of the original and in general i love Cyberpunk so much. This movie rocked it, its not flawless, but neither was the original. What this movie knew how to do was, do its own thing, while honoring the original, while still keeping the exact same style. Its a very long visual movie, if you count the nearly 3 hours runtime, there is very little dialogue.

Funnily enough, blade runner 2049 has the same flaw the last movie from Villeneuve had(which to me is the best thing about it) for the average movie goer. Little action, so yeah most dude bros in the room left 2 hours in the film, i saw 3 people leave out of the 50 people in the room. Missing the second fight scene of the entire movie at the end lol. Same happened during Arrival unsurprisingly. Seems Villeneuve is just content taking movies that might not be exactly regular current day cinema and i appreciate it.

Ryan Gosling, fantastic job done by him. Ford, doing an actual performance where he gives a shit (you can always tell in his voice when he doesent give a shit in a movie lol). Infact the only performance that wasent fantastic was Jared Leto, he was not bad, he was just serviceable to the role.

9/10
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-10-07 at 02:51 PM.

Saw blade runner 2049

best movie of the year easily 9/10

it was an audiovisual masterpiece, i sincerely hope roger deakins finally gets his well deserved oscar for it

it had some flaws(namely the sometimes on the nose flashback dialogues, which im sure the studio made villeneuve put in so the general audiences dont get lost) but overall it was a phenomenal experience
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-10-07 at 07:30 PM.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - 9/10

Fantastic piece of cyberpunk fiction, and the best movie of the year so far. It is, to me, better than the original. Blade Runner deserves props for being such a primary example of cyberpunk style, but I watched it again recently, and it struck me how much it felt like an appetizer to me, prepping me for a bigger piece of that cyberpunk goodness. This felt like that main course. In a lot of ways, I think Blade Runner 2049 is to Blade Runner what Mad Max: Fury Road is to The Road Warrior.

I don't want to spoil any plot details at all, I went into this movie knowing very little, which is how it should be. The movie is exactly how a cyberpunk movie should be, a sci-fi film noir, using investigation as a tool to explore a world. I've said before how I feel too few movies focuses primarily on being a journey through an interesting world rather than being character-based or plot-based. This movie is decidedly world/mileu-based, showing rather than telling you a lot about the different set-pieces, letting you soak it in.

As others have mentioned, the movie's cinematography is dashing. Really, everything about the world is dashing, the sound design, the production design, even the music. I was actually afraid the replicant-thing wouldn't be super interesting compared to what other cyberpunk stories have focused on, such as cybernetics (Deus Ex and Ghost in the Shell), law enforcement (Psycho-Pass), etc. However, this movie makes it interesting, making you wonder what it means to be human and what it means to be real.

The movie is long, nearly three hours. I don't mind long movies at all, but obviously that doesn't mean a long movie can't sometimes be boring, or longer than it really should be. A lot of people/critics have complained that the movie was too long and meandering, but while I was aware that the movie's scenes weren't exactly fast-paced, I didn't mind at all, because again, I was engaged in the world and totally fine with soaking it in like you soak in rain.

This is not an action movie, and neither was the original really. It's a detective story unlike what we ever really see in cinema. Some call it style over substance, but I think that just proves that what one considers "substance" is highly subjective. Not everyone is going to like it, and it seems like US movie journalists are already preparing their puns for describing how the movie is going to "bomb" domestically. I hope it does well enough to not be a costly gamble for the studio, because this is the type of movie I want more of, and I want Denis Villeneuve to be succesful so he can do more movies of this size and ambition. Dune couldn't be in better hands.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-10-07 at 08:10 PM.

Deleted
    Dune? Give Ridley the boot n give villeneuve the next alien movie..

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Dune? Give Ridley the boot n give villeneuve the next alien movie..
    To be fair the thing is Villeneuve already said in a local interview that the only movies he agree to do, are things he wished he would do. Alien would only happen if he himself had interest in the franchise. The same way all the adaptation and stories from things he liked personally. Youd think this would be common sense amoung directors, but its not.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    In a lot of ways, I think Blade Runner 2049 is to Blade Runner what Mad Max: Fury Road is to The Road Warrior.
    This was almost exactly what my husband said to me as soon as the Blade Runner 2049 title card hit with BRILLIANT score. I find it hard to disagree. Audience also seemed to agree as just as at the end of Fury Road, the audience was silent for more or less the entire credits and broke into thunderous applause and cheering when the house lights came on.

2049 is better than the original in almost every regard. It was just a ridiculously accomplished film in execution.

We saw it in the Dolby theater and it is astounding how good the sound for this thing was as well. Really stuck with me.

Might be the best movie I saw this year. I'll think it about some though.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    To be fair the thing is Villeneuve already said in a local interview that the only movies he agree to do, are things he wished he would do. Alien would only happen if he himself had interest in the franchise. The same way all the adaptation and stories from things he liked personally. Youd think this would be common sense amoung directors, but its not.
    That's not really fair. Sure, in a dream world, directors would only do movies they had burning passion for, but the vast majority of directors don't have that luxury. It's a job, and a lot of them need the work they can get.

- - - Updated - - -

The Big Sick (2017) - 7/10

An enjoyable rom-com. Pretty funny at parts, and it was interesting to see some form of Pakistani culture. I thought it dragged at times though.

The Mountain Between Us 3/10

Super cliche and poorly written. Acting & directing is solid but overall a meaningless film.

Deleted
    Blade Runner 2049 - 7/10

I don't see it. I can't understand the hype around this.
    It was a slow movie, which is ok for me, i've watched a ton of slow movies and i enjoyed a lot of them, but this one i don't get it.
    The movie was so...lifeless. I can understand why, maybe it was because the main character is a emotionless robot and they went for a "emotionless vibe" but it was a bit too much in my eyes.
    A lot of the scenes happened "indoors", which is a shame because the viewer didn't have the oportunity to immerse themselves on the world.
    Almost every character was forgettable apart from a few. I only really enjoyed Dave Bautista, the girl who created memories and the merchant who analysed the wood of the horse. The rest? Forgettable.

I don't know, i just don't get the hype but i enjoyed the movie.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-10-10 at 09:12 PM.

Passengers - 5/10 Not sure which way to go with this. If you're the type of viewer who picks apart sci-fi flicks, it's probably best to stay far away from this one. The story they were trying to tell was decent enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blade Runner 2049
    9/10

Talk about going into a movie with no expectations, I was expecting a typical sequel romp, but this one kind of out did it's self. Harrison Ford is fantastic in this, you can tell he is so into his roll again, the setting is great and it generally keeps the atheistic of the Blade Runner universe, without alienating too much, especially with how far we have come in movie tech and CGI.

I had to re watch the old Blade Runner movie again because the last time I had watched this movie was back in 2003 when I got the original edit on DVD. So I was caught up.

Very little bad to say about it. Probably the best movie I have seen all year. Even though that goes without saying, I haven't attended many movies this year as I have last year which is kind of sad. Financial issues and all that jazz
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I've been enticed by everyone's reviews of Blade Runner, so on desktop I saw Blade Runner (original from 1982).

The story/world is pretty cool. I like the background.
    It had the opportunity to be more psychological, but it was more philosophical. But not even, really. Disappointing. Wtf is the point of doing tests once if they don't get done again?
    The audio tried to be cool, but for the most part it felt out of sync and poorly edited.
    The scenes dragged on forever. It made the movie seem slow paced.
    The cohesion between scenes wasn't there. Because of the dragging, each scene ended and began weirdly and unemphatically and it felt poor when it was all put together.

I couldn't suspend my disbelief about the action. When people should've died, they didn't. When someone shouldn't have died, for plot purposes they did. How convenient.

Cool concept but poorly done. 1.25/10. I'm sure in 1982 it could've been awesome, but this is 2017.

If you guys are wrong about the new one really being a 9, I'm going to have to call shame on you guys. (I'm sure at the very least, it'll be high budget/action oriented, but so is Transformers so...)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If you guys are wrong about the new one really being a 9, I'm going to have to call shame on you guys. (I'm sure at the very least, it'll be high budget/action oriented, but so is Transformers so...)
    We can't be "wrong". You can only disagree.

Also, if expect action-oriented, prepare to be disappointed.

We can't be "wrong". You can only disagree.

Also, if expect action-oriented, prepare to be disappointed.
    lols.

I wanted the original Blade Runner to be more about being able to evaluate if a person really was a replicant or not so that there would be a major psychological aspect to it, but it turned out that all you need to do is use futuristic detective technology and a gun. You do that and you're a Blade Runner and u gotchaself a movy.

I didn't watch any trailers or read you guys' posts (besides the rating/movie name) so I'm not sure what to expect yet. I do hope it's not as action oriented as the first one.

lols.

I wanted the original Blade Runner to be more about being able to evaluate if a person really was a replicant or not so that there would be a major psychological aspect to it, but it turned out that all you need to do is use futuristic detective technology and a gun. You do that and you're a Blade Runner and u gotchaself a movy.

I didn't watch any trailers or read you guys' posts (besides the rating/movie name) so I'm not sure what to expect yet. I do hope it's not as action oriented as the first one.
    That's not what the movie was about though.

Also, the first Blade Runner has, what, three-four "action" scenes? Is that action oriented?

Deleted
    lols.

Do you make a living shitting on classics? We know you hate every movie before 2015, especially movies being praised by 99.5% of people. Just go watch Pacific Rim or something.

That's not what the movie was about though.

Also, the first Blade Runner has, what, three-four "action" scenes? Is that action oriented?
    Being a Blade Runner is about action. You have to chase down replicants or fight them. God forbid you try to question one in a room doing the Turing test, because they'll easily kill you. In front of a video camera. In a monitored building. And get away perfectly fine.

I understand that the movie did at least try to perpetuate "ogm replicants just want to live as humans too, how bad is it to be hunted" and some romance stuff, but I found them poorly enough done that they could be considered either garbage, or to be ignored altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Do you make a living shitting on classics? We know you hate every movie before 2015, especially movies being praised by 99.5% of people. Just go watch Pacific Rim or something.
    Recommendation added to list. ArrowStormen already recommended that one so I guess it gets a bit higher priority now. (Lul.)

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just telling it like it is. I do see how in 1982 it'd be an amazing movie, but watching it today the editing (sound and scene length, beginning, end) seems really bad, and the convenience factor for things going right for the good guy is just too unbelievable. The evil German mastermind robot is bad enough to kills his maker + the guy who is nice to him, but suddenly dies as soon as he gives a monologue after saving Deckard. Like come on, I feel insulted as a viewer. I could name like 5 other parts of the movie that made me go ???

-Snip-
    You are not going to like the new Bladerunner. It's basically a continuation of the old movie with the technology of 2017 and even slower pacing. And as you have stated repeatedly that you can't stand those kind of movies I wouldn't recommend you to watch it.

That being said I'd give Bladerunner 2049 8 out of 10

As already said it's an audiovisual masterpiece with great settings, sound, and camera shots. But for my taste the story develops a bit too slow at times and there was one plot hole which bothered me:

When Deckard and K aka Joe were caught there was no reason other than the plot to let Joe behind and alive.