Poll: Steven Segal VS Jean Claude Van Damn

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Van Damme had more of a ballet and dance background then fighting when his career began. Seagal actually has a martial arts background. At this point it would be a sad display either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Easy to win staged/scripted fights. Those people are sacrificing themselves to allow him to toss them around. Videos like this are why nobody takes Aikido seriously. Having black belts flop around as some old senior student of the art moves worse then Miyagi in The Next Karate Kid cheapens everybody involved.
    Dont diss me bro.
    Also:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    there is pretty much not a single relevant Gracie in MMA.. Renzo was just gifted a BS win at ADCC over Kikuta. Gracies always wanted special rules and biased judging.
    In MMA maybe, but that is literally a different sport. Within the BJJ world they are pretty much considered royalty.

I mean, I don't really follow BJJ, but you'd got to give credit and respect where it's due.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

JCVD easily. He was 17-1 in full contact and competing internationally before becoming an actor. Seagull has a McDojo belt because his wifes dad had a dojo in japan.

judo Gene choked out Seagull and made him piss himself.

WRONG. Van Damme was 17-1 with 17 KOs in full contact before becoming an actor. Competed under his real name Jean Claude Van Varenberg. Was on the Belgian national team etc. He would smoke McDojo Seagull. As would Dolph.
    Yeah. Back in the day, I would have said it could go either way just based on the little I knew about either guy. The more I've read over the years though, I'm pretty sure Van Damme woulda kicked Seagal's ass, and there's a very good reason Seagal backed down at that party.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    In MMA maybe, but that is literally a different sport. Within the BJJ world they are pretty much considered royalty.

I mean, I don't really follow BJJ, but you'd got to give credit and respect where it's due.
    You wrote "step into the octagon". That implies MMA

Sure they might be considered royalty by some. However the Gracies are not really very relevant in BJJ currently either. Renzo was the only Gracie to compete at ADCC 2017 and he got a total BS win against Kikuta in a single fight. There was no Gracie competing in any of the regular divisions.

While i prefer Segal Van Damme would take him in prime (probably now also)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wattmate View Post
    While i prefer Segal Van Damme would take him in prime (probably now also)
    I'm pretty sure Van Damme would win in his prime, but Van Damme would definitely take him now. He's kept up his training, has kept himself in really good shape, while these days Seagal has...well, let's say he's let himself go, and leave it at that, heh.

As for movies, I will say Seagal has the better movies up through...I dunno, Under Siege 2 maybe? But these days, as far as direct to video action goes, Van Damme has had some some real winners(seriously, as an action fan, check out Universal Soldier:Regeneration) and puts Seagal's lazy, half ass DTV work to shame(some of them are even dubbed by another actor, meaning Seagal didn't even bother to do his own dialogue!).
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2017-10-10 at 01:50 PM.

Deleted
    Now if we were talking dance moves. It would be pretty darn close

vs

I think Seagull might be trying for the Glow a´la Bruce Leeroy

Deleted
    Van Damme used to be a kickboxer, for sure, but then he became a show pony, doing Hollywood kicks. He hasn't spent the last 50 years still practicing his actual fighting skills. He has spent that time doing Hollywood kicks, and not even that, since his joints have been broken for the past 10-15 years now.

Seagal has definitely spent a lot of his time even in the past decades doing aikido and probably sambo as well. Sure, he's gained like 200 pounds, but aikido doesn't require you to necessarily be in super fit shape.

In all reality though, this fight would be over long before it would even begin. Van Damme is a washed-out bipolar has-been Hollywood high-kicker, and Seagal has the backing of the KGB. Plus he's a beast with a handgun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    WTF is this, lol? The guys that are going against Seagal are throwing and flipping themselves. It’s clearly a scripted fight. Also, Seagal is hilarious in it. He looks so fed up and just lazy.

Better video... well, some stand up on the guy.

Hey hey hey!

I voted Van Damme, but have to recognize Steven Segal he’s still very good and stuff. See how badass he is.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I also voted Damme. I don’t really know who’s the better fighter, but I’m biased because I’ve been forced to watch so many Van Damme movies, lol. Also, Damme seems to have kept himself in much better shape.
    It’s probably because he can do the splits. People seem to like that and it really used to be sort of his thing. Loved the comedy bit and Yeah Steven Segal seems to have lost his mind. I don’t like going by gossip but yeah.

I picked Van Damme even though I resent having to spell his last name he actually does have a verifiable fight record that can be sourced independently. The most I found about Steven Segal are records of him beating his wife

All the rest doesn’t confirm much.

Deleted

Aikido is one of those forms where if the person who is being thrown doesn't go with the throw, they will absolutely hurt themselves. That's why all these demonstrations look like the person being thrown is jumping and rolling intentionally. It's because they are.

Obviously both Seagal and Van Damme would die against any equally skilled MMA practitioner, even in their hay day. Kickboxing doesn't work against MMA, and neither does aikido.

JCVD easily. He was 17-1 in full contact and competing internationally before becoming an actor. Seagull has a McDojo belt because his wifes dad had a dojo in japan.

judo Gene choked out Seagull and made him piss himself.

WRONG. Van Damme was 17-1 with 17 KOs in full contact before becoming an actor. Competed under his real name Jean Claude Van Varenberg. Was on the Belgian national team etc. He would smoke McDojo Seagull. As would Dolph.
    You mean his friends credentials that he used. Well Dolph was special forces military so I hope he would he has been trained in actual martial combat, not the sport version of martial arts for points. As I said it would be a depressing display if they did actually fight now.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The only thing the Weighty Warrior beats Van Damme in is poundage.

Read this for more details:
    http://www.fakes.net/shadowman.htm
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2017-10-10 at 03:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Except that one time he got choked out.

By one of the Gracies.
    Losing to a man 20 years younger than you who is a red belt when you are only a first degree black belt in the discipline is somehow something to be ashamed of?

Gracie only has 10 fights under his belt because he only accepts fights he knows he can win and was known for dodging fights. His own father called him a liar for his false claims of fighting over 400 fights.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2017-10-10 at 08:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    You mean his friends credentials that he used. Well Dolph was special forces military so I hope he would he has been trained in actual martial combat, not the sport version of martial arts for points. As I said it would be a depressing display if they did actually fight now.
    What do you mean? JCVDs record is legit and verified..

And what the heck are you talking about with Dolph????? He did the 1 year mandatory military training in Sweden. Not even close to special forces. He is however 3rd dan black belt in kyokushin karate and was European champion 1980 and 81. Won a tourney in Australia (82) when he was studying there and ended up bodyguard for Grace Jones who spotted him working as a bouncer in a Sydney nightclub (He was in Australia getting his chemical engineering degree)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

I picked Van Damme even though I resent having to spell his last name
    From now on you are only allowed to use his full real name

Jean-Claude Camille François Van Varenberg

Deleted
    Van Damme for sure. He looks better, dances better, can do the best split ever, and he's Belgian so...

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean? JCVDs record is legit and verified..

And what the heck are you talking about with Dolph????? He did the 1 year mandatory military training in Sweden. Not even close to special forces. He is however 3rd dan black belt in kyokushin karate and was European champion 1980 and 81. Won a tourney in Australia (82) when he was studying there and ended up bodyguard for Grace Jones who spotted him working as a bouncer in a Sydney nightclub (He was in Australia getting his chemical engineering degree)

- - - Updated - - -

From now on you are only allowed to use his full real name

Jean-Claude Camille François Van Varenberg
    Nooo damn it. I always vowed as long as a man they pay their taxes, obeys the law and isn’t hurting me or anybody else I would always call them whatever name they want.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    JCVD was also 44-4 in semi/light contact.

Van Damme would win for sure.