Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Definitely beautiful. Not sure about the mountains, but the islands like Victoria and those in Washington State are amazing. Expensive as hell the places I've seen though.
    If you're talking like Vancouver or Victoria, it can be pretty pricey. The northern end of Vancouver Island, though, isn't. House prices in Courtenay (up the coast from Nanaimo) are in the $300-500k range for 1-4 bedroom houses (median, so there's cheaper and more expensive). A little further to Campbell River and it's more like $200k-450k.

I'm wanting to move to the area for the climate and scenery, and I like smaller towns anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Mars. Or the moon, ive heard its made of cheese.
    remember to take the crackers...

10+ Year Old Account
    2.1 has things planned out for us. We'll eventually retire in Hunan, either Changsha or Yueyang. There's lots of nice scenery and wonderful food in the region and 2.1 is a native.

Had things worked out differently, I was considering Inner Mongolia or perhaps making the jump to Mongolia itself.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

"No one -- however smart, however well-educated, however experienced -- is the suppository of all wisdom"

I don't think that is how wisdom is gained.... >_>

San Pedro, Belize. Absolutely beautiful, very little language barrier, not too expensive, small town feel (most people drive golf carts around town), wonderful weather (barrier reef protects from most hurricanes). The people are also so lovely down there, very friendly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never really thought about it.
    I'd like some place calm, with less people and better air (If that's gonna be possible in 30 years)

There won't be any retirement for me, so I don't spend time thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Where you want to retire and live?

I'm picking Alaska, U.S. How about you?

Follow up.

How old do you want to be when you retire or is it a dollar amount?
    I've set my sights on Lugano, Switzerland.

Not that I think I will be able to afford that, but it's something to dream about.

I'm never retiring, at 95 I'm going to drop dead at work and they'll have to drag me out.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Someplace I don't have to spend so much fucking money just to keep a roof over my head.
    Stay clear of liberal shit hole states then.

Deleted
    You'd have to survive into your 70s to retire and live, and honestly, what kind of living will it be then anyway.

Same place I am now... Michigan. Although I promised my wife we could move to one of the Southern states where she grew up, like TN or NC. We'll see what happens.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’d love to retire in Scotland. It’s where my family is from and it calls to me. I know it won’t happen, though. My husband is from the States and our children were born here. He’s very patriotic and I don’t seem him giving it up to live overseas. We’ve compromised and agreed we would retire in one of the New England states.
    FUCK YEAH SCOTLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Tbh, maybe not even retire, but i would love to move to Portugal sometime soonish. Beautiful country, great weather, fantastic culture, full of history, delicious food and beautiful girls.
    Its a poorer country than scotland overall, but i would take the minor hit in my standard of life for what Portugal has to offer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karfal View Post
    Stay clear of liberal shit hole states then.
    if i had to pick between living in a conservative governed state, and living in a liberal state where i cant afford to survive... i would just fucking move country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenkendo
    I don't think that is how wisdom is gained....
    This is the Internet. Someone is always pulling something out of their ass. In this case, however, it is an actual quote. Here ya go! With video!
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...fe-world-stage
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

somewhere cold, likely i'd go back to ND .. but for me to retire means i'd have to win the lotto to have they money i want. I may switch to online teaching if i get tired of the daily grind though.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

There is a beautiful little town by the sea in Ireland that my Mum grew up in. That will be where I retire.
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is then I feel sorry for you"

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Mars. Or the moon, ive heard its made of cheese.
    Cheese is too ambiguous to a be a plus. Cheddar/Parmesan = good, ricotta not so good.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

I'd like to live in a cave
    hit & run posting lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Retire and live are not compatible terms for me.
    Same, with how U.S. will have its social security die off by the time I 'retire' not to mention I believe in euthanasia so if I deem myself useless or my standard of living/survival is not worth while then I will just off myself. I will do anything to not have my family members pushing my addled brain drooling mess around wasting their life because of some deluded desire not to let me die.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Cheese is too ambiguous to a be a plus. Cheddar/Parmesan = good, ricotta not so good.
    I'll space mail you some, if Buzz Aldrin doesn't eat all the samples again.