Page 1 of 2
LastLast

ATVI Activision Blizzard, Inc. stocks

I want to spend some money on stocks, do you think its a good bet to buy some ATVI stocks now?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    I want to spend some money on stocks, do you think its a good bet to buy some ATVI stocks now?
    Invest in pumpkins.

Why tho? You are better off investing in an buyback index fund.

Here is the famous 3x5 card. LIke #4 says "never to buy individual stocks".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Buy gold. The world is going to shit and the stock market is in denial. Perfect time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Here is the famous 3x5 card. LIke #4 says "never to buy individual stocks".
    Other than this being sound financial advice, what makes this famous?

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Buy gold. The world is going to shit and the stock market is in denial. Perfect time.
    If anyone truly believes that the world markets are going to collapse, leaving humans a band of wandering, cannibalistic nomads, the correct investment would be to buy fresh water, antibiotics, and bullets.

Or you can follow the 3x5 postcard.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Its always shown in every single stock related thread ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    If anyone truly believes that the world markets are going to collapse, leaving humans a band of wandering, cannibalistic nomads, the correct investment would be to buy fresh water, antibiotics, and bullets.

Or you can follow the 3x5 postcard.
    Of course, it is inconceivable that banks could ever lose money!

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't sound financial advice. You leave yourself over-exposed to a market crash.

The thing most don't understand is that investing in "well-diversified mutual funds" is to a large extent putting all your eggs in one basket, not the conservative risk-reduction the phrase implies. If there is a crash like 2008 likely all of those funds will be losing money.

For this reason it is better to have at least part of your wealth invested in something which is negatively correlated with the performance of the economy. Like gold.

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't sound financial advice. You leave yourself over-exposed to a market crash.

The thing most don't understand is that investing in "well-diversified mutual funds" is to a large extent putting all your eggs in one basket, not the conservative risk-reduction the phrase implies. If there is a crash like 2008 likely all of those funds will be losing money.

For this reason it is better to have at least part of your wealth invested in something which is negatively correlated with the performance of the economy. Like gold.
    The only bit in there that really leaves you open to market crash is the Vanguard 20xx. But that fund is designed in a way to minimize a crash, which most "crashes" are only certain portions of the market tanking, not the whole market, hence diversification. Also I always agreed with not really getting into individual stock trading (unless you have massive amounts of cash). Everything else isn't even all that scary, max out your 401k/retirement contribution, not doing that is giving yourself a pay cut if your employer is offering up.

I just thought there was some kind of source for the post card, in general it's close to common sense + some extras thrown in there.

Deleted
    But that fund is designed in a way to minimize a crash, which most "crashes" are only certain portions of the market tanking, not the whole market, hence diversification.
    "Diversification" has to be one of the most misleading phrases in investment.

Most stocks are highly correlated with the performance of the stock market. If you don't have an investment that makes money when the stock market tanks you will be screwed. It doesn't make any difference how many stocks you have. The only exceptions would be de facto commodity investments like mining stocks.

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought there was some kind of source for the post card, in general it's close to common sense + some extras thrown in there.
    It is essentially the same as generic investment advice pre-2008 built on the assumption that the stock market will improve over time forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be harsh, if you need to ask here what to buy. You do not have the capacity, dedication or simply are not informed enough to play in stocks and make a good amount of money from it.

If you want to invest without all that you probably be better of putting money in funds that are very diverse as in if one of the stocks take a hit the value won't drop all that much since it's divided over a large group.

I have it in my portfolio and I've been happy with it's performance so far.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Invest in the Green Bay Packers.

Deleted
    Invest in the arms and weapon industry.

The world has never spend so much money in this sector and next year it's expected to rise to new records.

If you're a newbie to investing then I strongly, STRONGLY recommend you avoid any Tech stocks until you have some more experience. Tech stocks have more mood swings than a pregnant woman and a lot of newbies end up losing a lot of money because they don't know how to read and project changes.

Try to start with "safe" stocks and index funds. Go for stocks where you can honestly stop and say to yourself "I really don't see this company going anywhere in the next 10 years at least".

2 More things:

1.) You should always, ALWAYS diversify your portfolio. Never put all your eggs into one basket.

2.) Never, NEVER invest more than what you're willing to lose. Even the best investors in the world have lost money at least once in their investment life.
    Last edited by SupBrah; 2017-10-10 at 06:14 PM.

My point was that over time gold has never out-performed the S&P500, with the exception of 1929-1935. If you’re going to be retiring in the next 5 years or so and are worried about a major collapse, then possibly gold is worth it. For a long term investment, the market will always outperform gold over any appreciable amount of time. That is, unless you expect full societal collapse, in which case you’re better off buying survival supplies.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    My point was that over time gold has never out-performed the S&P500, with the exception of 1929-1935. If you’re going to be retiring in the next 5 years or so and are worried about a major collapse, then possibly gold is worth it. For a long term investment, the market will always outperform gold over any appreciable amount of time. That is, unless you expect full societal collapse, in which case you’re better off buying survival supplies.
    My house has never burned down. However, I continue to buy fire insurance.

Oohh but what if aliens came and burned down my house with ray guns! wwaah waah! (You see what I did there? Mocked you for comedic effect. Not annoying at all that).

My house has never burned down. However, I continue to buy fire insurance.

Oohh but what if aliens came and burned down my house with ray guns! wwaah waah! (You see what I did there? Mocked you for comedic effect. Not annoying at all that).
    You’re mocking me by saying that your house has never burned down, but you still buy insurance. Your analogy is flawed though, because houses burn down all the time. The stock market consistently outperforms commodities, time over time. Using your same analogy, you’re admitting it would be a good idea to buy fire insurance on your home because of that one time in 1929 where a house caught on fire.

7+ Year Old Account
    Its been one of my better long term investments. I bought a sizable chunk back in 2011 and its done pretty well since then. Company doesn't seem to be slowing down, so, I feel pretty good about continuing to hold onto mine.