Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    If all you got is memes and insults, you have become far less interesting to chat with. Pity.
    No. That would not be a meme. A meme would be something like this:

Nooo, thats me taking a few minutes of my time and, because maybe I'm a generous guy and a sadist, drawing a picture to educate you in a way you'd understand it. Because evidently, as you'll recall that time... I don't know... yesterday, where I replied to you and you replied by saying you skipped reading any detail of the post beyond the first paragraph because it pointed out (referring to the post with infectous diseases) how incredibly wrong you were about everything.

So no. We are not in a "word and sentence using format" with you anymore for complex things. You're gonna have to earn that back, son.

You got a link. Go read it. Or don't. I don't care. I'll provide drawings in crayons and markers for other things for you. We know it works.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If all you got is memes and insults, you have become far less interesting to chat with. Pity.
    And facts. But you ignore those - it's hysterical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do the math. Look at the fortune. Deduct the subsidies. /shrug
    What math? He was a billionaire before you were born and before he received any subsidy other than a tax return. . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Or, in your case, ignore reality and only listen to what bolsters your echo chamber. Musk has been around, making billions, for awhile now. His wealth didn't come from subsidies.

What phase are we into re your posting? Is this P4 or P5?
    Maybe he lives in one of the states that's going to get absolutely crapped on in 2024 when ULA calls it quits after the last Delta IV Heavy flies. I have absolutely zero faith ULA will ever fly the Vulcan rocket. I think Lockheed and Beoing will independently focus their space business on the SLS, Starliner and smaller rocket, and dissolve the partnership as it will have no rocket and no technologies to compete against SpaceX or Blue Origin.

That's going to be a lot of high skilled Red State jobs and Federal Tax Money to red states that vanish. SLS pork will cover some of it, but not nearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Accelerators require MUCH better vacuum, though. Hyperloop would work just fine with a vacuum of maybe 1 millibar (maybe even more), orders of magnitude worse than the ultrahigh vacuum in a storage ring. Remember, the original Hyperloop concept used low pressure gas to propel and levitate the vehicle (using gas pumped down through skids.) This is the sort of pressure that can be reached industrially with steam ejector pumps or robust mechanical pumps.

The much higher pressure inside Hyperloop means it can tolerate much large leaks than in an accelerator, for a given volumetric rate of pumping capacity. It also means there's no need to bake out the vacuum system as you might in ultrahigh vacuum situations.
    All you are saying is that it takes a lot of energy to do, and has a lot less benefits than were implied in the beginning.
    Yes, I know English is very generous in calling 1 millibar "Medium Vacuum" already (according to English terminology "Low Vacuum" is what you have on any rainy day).

The accelerator I'm working at currently has a vacuum of 10^-13 millibar, so yes, that is a lot better than 1 millibar, but then it is underground, at controlled, constant temperature, much smaller in surface area, and it does not have heavy vehicles moving inside. It still takes a LOT of energy to hold that vacuum.
    The prototype of the hyperloop they showed and the claim that it could produce more energy than it itself needs by placing solar panels on the outside is a complete pipe dream. It's only purpose was to get attention and investments for the name Elon Musk. He sells his name that is his main strength, and for that to work he needs to draw attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    No. That would not be a meme. A meme would be something like this:

Nooo, thats me taking a few minutes of my time and, because maybe I'm a generous guy and a sadist, drawing a picture to educate you in a way you'd understand it. Because evidently, as you'll recall that time... I don't know... yesterday, where I replied to you and you replied by saying you skipped reading any detail of the post beyond the first paragraph because it pointed out (referring to the post with infectous diseases) how incredibly wrong you were about everything.

So no. We are not in a "word and sentence using format" with you anymore for complex things. You're gonna have to earn that back, son.

You got a link. Go read it. Or don't. I don't care. I'll provide drawings in crayons and markers for other things for you. We know it works.
    I'm just drinking in the attention you are giving me, by drawing little pictures. Tell me more about me, and how you are thinking about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    The Raptor engine, and the method of synthesizing its fuel, will be CO2 neutral.
    There are much better uses for that kind of energy.
    Also, Co2 neutral means nothing when the concentration isn't evenly distributed and there will hardly be some hose funneling the Co2 back to the synthesizing station.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    What math? He was a billionaire before you were born and before he received any subsidy other than a tax return. . . . . .
    Corporate subsidies son....amg too thick...can't take it.../eject

10+ Year Old Account
    Corporate subsidies son....amg too thick...can't take it.../eject
    Which ones? You must know of a way to tie his personal worth to the subsidies Tesla is getting. So please, educate us all.

Which ones? You must know of a way to tie his personal worth to the subsidies Tesla is getting. So please, educate us all.
    He is the most subsidized human in history. That is a fact. He (via his companies) has been given more government money, then he is worth. This is like 15th re-hash for you, and you aren't exactly saying anything interesting so...I'm getting bored with you.

I'm just drinking in the attention you are giving me, by drawing little pictures. Tell me more about me, and how you are thinking about me.
    You shouldn't be. Your daily displays are just that of an (as evidenced by this thread) intentionally ignorant nut.

I mean that you keep doing that is your business.

I mean you want to know yet another way I know you're not an actual conservative? SpaceX is a private private business, with an innovative technology and innovative business model (for space) that is revolutionizing the private space market and also significant cutting the cost of an essential function government must perform. And in the process of doing that, it is forcing out of the market, ULA, a government-directed monopoly that is the joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Beoing.

ULA is exactly the kind of thing that the US government should not be in the business of perpetuating, and SpaceX, which sells rocket launches as a service is the antidote.

I mean, do you understand, conceptually the distinction between rocket launches as service and what ULA does?

Any conservative with actual principles would be running full tilt towards SpaceX because it is legitimately EXACTLY what Free Market principles represent in an ideal case. And yet here you are...

You're not a conservative. You're a reactionary, to anything outside the very narrow band that constitutes your so-called life. On this topic, it is a space launch industry you do not understand because you choose not not.

That's why you get pictures from now on.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is the most subsidized human in history. That is a fact. He (via his companies) has been given more government money, then he is worth. This is like 15th re-hash for you, and you aren't exactly saying anything interesting so...I'm getting bored with you.
    Look. . . . if you don't know or understand how subsidies work, just say so. You're rambling like an idiot right now.

Look. . . . if you don't know or understand how subsidies work, just say so. You're rambling like an idiot right now.
    You have yet to say ANYTHING other than insults to me. You are really boring me now....

10+ Year Old Account
    You have yet to say ANYTHING other than insults to me. You are really boring me now....
    Can you explain the relationship of Musks personal wealth and the subsides Tesla receives? Yes or No?

I want to understand where you are coming up with this.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    P4 of his posting. Look forward to dismissing the issue as irrelevant and moving on to another subject. That is P5.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe he lives in one of the states that's going to get absolutely crapped on in 2024 when ULA calls it quits after the last Delta IV Heavy flies. I have absolutely zero faith ULA will ever fly the Vulcan rocket. I think Lockheed and Beoing will independently focus their space business on the SLS, Starliner and smaller rocket, and dissolve the partnership as it will have no rocket and no technologies to compete against SpaceX or Blue Origin.

That's going to be a lot of high skilled Red State jobs and Federal Tax Money to red states that vanish. SLS pork will cover some of it, but not nearly enough.
    Very true - and the pork train will more than likely come off the rails, causing some very real and actual financial harm to the area.

Not that Lil' TJ will understand any of this. He's almost to Phase 5 where he dismisses the entire issue.

You shouldn't be. Your daily displays are just that of an (as evidenced by this thread) intentionally ignorant nut.

I mean that you keep doing that is your business.

I mean you want to know yet another way I know you're not an actual conservative? SpaceX is a private private business, with an innovative technology and innovative business model (for space) that is revolutionizing the private space market and also significant cutting the cost of an essential function government must perform. And in the process of doing that, it is forcing out of the market, ULA, a government-directed monopoly that is the joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Beoing.

ULA is exactly the kind of thing that the US government should not be in the business of perpetuating, and SpaceX, which sells rocket launches as a service is the antidote.

I mean, do you understand, conceptually the distinction between rocket launches as service and what ULA does?

Any conservative with actual principles would be running full tilt towards SpaceX because it is legitimately EXACTLY what Free Market principles represent in an ideal case. And yet here you are...

You're not a conservative. You're a reactionary, to anything outside the very narrow band that constitutes your so-called life. On this topic, it is a space launch industry you do not understand because you choose not not.

That's why you get pictures from now on.
    Oh, you.../hair tussle.

You are just obsessed with me, and it's not healthy. What will Mika think? I mean, you are drawing me pictures, and writing long diatribes about me. You even stole my signature (but failed at box checking). Look, I'm just not that in to you. I appreciate all the attention you are giving me but, I'm not going to put out. You know that, right? You know that we will never be a couple, right?

Where did I say "SpaceX is public business"?

Where did I say "SpaceX is bad/wrong/negative", etc.?

If Joe Skroeborough says I'm not a conservative, I take that as a HIGH compliment to my conservatism. Because there is no bigger FAKE conservative, than Joe Skroeborough, who has yet to take a conservative position, unrelated to military, even one time on this board.

"I'm a conservative because I say I'm a conservative, despite my position on every non-military issue". - Joe Skroeborough

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    There are much better uses for that kind of energy.
    Such as?

Also, Co2 neutral means nothing when the concentration isn't evenly distributed and there will hardly be some hose funneling the Co2 back to the synthesizing station.
    Well, "good" thing there are still so many gas-powered cars on the roads that it'll have little to no impact on the environment in comparison. Where ever they end up setting up the stations, there will be more than enough CO2 in the atmosphere to convert to make up for whatever amount the rocket ends up spitting out.

And whatever the balance ends up being, it's still way better than most of today's rockets anyway. The Delta IV and the Ariane 5 are the only two currently using a hydrogen/oxygen mix IIRC (for H2O exhaust), whereas most others use kerosene (RP-1, a refined version of jet fuel). Not to mention the Russian Proton-M that runs on this shit. Honorable mention goes to the ammonium chlorate used in solid rocket boosters. I'll take a CO2 rocket any day of the week, because CO2 we can do something about.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Except that his cars suck. Beneath the glitz and hype, people forget that their batteries have a lifepsan of only 8 years or so--far shorter than the average lifespan of a combustion engine vehicle. And the batteries cost as much to replace as the amount of money saved on gas, on average. To say nothing of the increase to your electric bill for charging these suckers.
    Why are you comparing the lifespan of electrical engines to combustible ones? Why aren't you comparing the electrical engines to other electrical engines?

Do you have numbers/evidence on charging costs and electricity bills compared to paying for gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    To say nothing of the increase to your electric bill for charging these suckers.
    That's why you invest in the solar roof tiles when those become available.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    That's why you invest in the solar roof tiles when those become available.
    And they are available now. SolarCity can put tiles on the roof and supply an in-home battery to store it up. Still working out kinks and making it more economically viable, but we are moving with great leaps forward into the Renewable Age.