Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Except that his cars suck. Beneath the glitz and hype, people forget that their batteries have a lifepsan of only 8 years or so--far shorter than the average lifespan of a combustion engine vehicle. And the batteries cost as much to replace as the amount of money saved on gas, on average. To say nothing of the increase to your electric bill for charging these suckers.
    If you can get approved for a loan to purchase a Tesla, the extra 12 dollars on your electricity bill every month isnt going to upset you.

I know three people with a Tesla, I'm about to be #4. Maybe depending on my bonus this year. *fingers crossed*

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    If you can get approved for a loan to purchase a Tesla, the extra 12 dollars on your electricity bill every month isnt going to upset you.

I know three people with a Tesla, I'm about to be #4. Maybe depending on my bonus this year. *fingers crossed*
    What are the numbers to get into a Tesla? If you don't mind me asking (and grats btw, fingers crossed for you indeed).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What are the numbers to get into a Tesla? If you don't mind me asking (and grats btw, fingers crossed for you indeed).
    I'm going to go with a pre-owned Tesla. When it was new, it was 115K, but since it was pre-owned it will only be 72k. The good news is that all pre-owned Teslas get a new battery. So the car might be 5 years old, but the battery will be functional for a long time.

Keep in mind you have to hire someone to come out to the house and install a special type of charger because the wall plug isn't that great. So you're looking at an extra 1,500 out of pocket.

Its really not that expensive when you consider how insanely fast these things are.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    All you are saying is that it takes a lot of energy to do, and has a lot less benefits than were implied in the beginning.
    Your train of thought seems to have derailed here. Care to explain?

The accelerator I'm working at currently has a vacuum of 10^-13 millibar, so yes, that is a lot better than 1 millibar, but then it is underground, at controlled, constant temperature, much smaller in surface area, and it does not have heavy vehicles moving inside. It still takes a LOT of energy to hold that vacuum.
    Operating at a pressure 10 trillion times higher, the pumps on a hyperloop, if they use the same power per volumetric pumping rate, could handle leaks 10 trillion times larger (in mass flow) at the same power as your system. You just MIGHT want to take this into account.

The prototype of the hyperloop they showed and the claim that it could produce more energy than it itself needs by placing solar panels on the outside is a complete pipe dream. It's only purpose was to get attention and investments for the name Elon Musk. He sells his name that is his main strength, and for that to work he needs to draw attention.
    You have not provided any good argument supporting this slander.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Corporate subsidies son....amg too thick...can't take it.../eject
    So, what was this subsidy Paypal got? I remind you he DID make a bundle off that, your false belief that he was not involved notwithstanding.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

While Musk has a big mouth and he dreams too much, I really do not get the hate against him. Oh, wait, I do. He is successful. That's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    While Musk has a big mouth and he dreams too much, I really do not get the hate against him. Oh, wait, I do. He is successful. That's why.
    He also rubs climate change deniers the wrong way. Therefore he must be cut down, truth and honesty be damned.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Well, they're putting the Falcon 9 1st stage through its paces to gather data. Tonight's reentry was hot. It's been a while since they've toasted one this much.

- - - Updated - - -

And to the people saying rapid rocket transport won't happen:

It has just made its way from Florida to Africa in 20 minutes.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    The Raptor engine, and the method of synthesizing its fuel, will be CO2 neutral.
    CO2 is one of the least concerns with rocket pollution.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    It has just made its way from Florida to Africa in 20 minutes.
    With or without prep? Rethorical question.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    CO2 is one of the least concerns with rocket pollution.
    What is the bigger concern, in your opinion? Interesting to know; I have at least two candidates.

Deleted
    Like everything it's always "Within # years" BS

No it won't happen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    What is the bigger concern, in your opinion? Interesting to know; I have at least two candidates.
    Reactive gasses and particles, like Al oxide. This will do more damage to ozone layer than CFC's ever did, if the rocket transportation booms.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Reactive gasses and particles, like Al oxide. This will do more damage to ozone layer than CFC's ever did, if the rocket transportation booms.
    Liquid propellant rockets don't typically have any aluminum in their propellant. There is sometimes a minor amount of aluminum in the pyrophoric ignition fluid (which often contains triethyl aluminum, TEA). Solid propellants do (and chlorine), but high flight rates will not occur with solid boosters, they're just too expensive.

Which reactive gases? LOX/hydrocarbon engines do run a bit fuel rich, so they can have H2 and CO in the exhaust, as well as some soot for RP-1. Are these what you are thinking of? They tend to oxidize when the exhaust plume its the air though (although that may not be effective at high altitude, where the exhaust expands and cools too rapidly.

My guess for the largest unavoidable impact of high flight rate rocketry is deposition of water in the stratosphere and above. The upper atmosphere is very dry, so this could have a substantial effect at higher flight rates (10s of thousands a year or more).
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2017-10-13 at 01:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Liquid propellant rockets don't typically have any aluminum in their propellant. There is sometimes a minor amount of aluminum in the pyrophoric ignition fluid (which often contains triethyl aluminum, TEA). Solid propellants do (and chlorine), but high flight rates will not occur with solid boosters, they're just too expensive.

Which reactive gases? LOX/hydrocarbon engines do run a bit fuel rich, so they can have H2 and CO in the exhaust, as well as some soot for RP-1. Are these what you are thinking of? They tend to oxidize when the exhaust plume its the air though (although that may not be effective at high altitude, where the exhaust expands and cools too rapidly.

My guess for the largest unavoidable impact of high flight rate rocketry is deposition of water in the stratosphere and above. The upper atmosphere is very dry, so this could have a substantial effect at higher flight rates (10s of thousands a year or more).
    There are smarter people than us worrying about it. Rocket pollution is serious and the only saving grace was the general lack of launches. With the rise of rocket transportation there's a reason for concern.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombercloner View Post
    I imagine riding on a 'flight' like this would nauseating to the average person. Never been in a rocket though.
    I'd take nausea anytime over 12 hours nightmare flights to China I do once in a while.

Too bad it's all blah blah for now.

The upper atmosphere is very dry, so this could have a substantial effect at higher flight rates (10s of thousands a year or more).
    You should see what happened to temperatures in America after 9/11. I believe the average temps dropped and rose 1-3 degree C because of zero air travel, in a day.

Even depositing CO2 on a commercial scale in the upper atmosphere is non trivial. It doesn't really matter if it is carbon neutral on balance because if my earth science serves me once you get to a certain altitude the churn between the layers of the atmosphere is quite small.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.