Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    But damn, it's great when policies I support for other reasons (like this one) have the side effect of trolling the opposition.
    And the best part is that they basically have to take it on the chin.

Trump can't lord anything over California's head; he has nothing California wants. The ICE probably doesn't want to tackle surveiling all of California on their own, either, so they'll likely renege on their position as well.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. . . Trump has a shit ton of work to do if he wants to get anywhere near Obamas deportation rate.

Would be so funny if Trump leaves the white house with Obama having a higher deportation score. LuLz, fuckin` Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    That's fine by me. Immigration is hardly an issue worth getting concerned about.

The ability for California to remain the most financially strong state in the union by a vast margin despite conservative doomsayer's statements about the illegal immigrants supposedly bleeding the state dry should clue someone in on how little bearing "illegal immigrants" have on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    thing is there is nothing to "solve". In reality, immigration is not a problem. at all. they are less likely to be criminals than people born here, and do a lot of work we won't. we depend on them. The GOP invented the problem in order to profit politically from racism and hatred, and ignorance.
    Except illegal immigrants are criminals, lol. On the flip-side, our (the US) immigration policy is pretty insane. I think it should be simplified in combination with securing our borders. When I said "immigration", I didn't just mean legal immigration. I think the overall situation of immigrants here in the US is very troubling. Legal people have to deal with so much shit it's absurd and illegals are treated like shit (both by those who love them and those who hate them).
    Last edited by therayeffect; 2017-10-10 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    Except illegal immigrants are criminals, lol.
    That's great and all, but I'm more interested in appreciable effects on society rather than some rote number.

You could declare that all people that wear socks with sandals are criminals. Doesn't mean that any appreciable negative aspect follows it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Do we really have to explain this?

Sanctuary cities/states don't stop ICE from doing whatever ICE wants to do. They just don't cooperate voluntarily with ICE.

Nobody's disputing that the federal government has the authority to enforce this stuff. What sanctuary cities and States are saying is that if the federal government wants to enforce this stuff, it can pay for that enforcement, via ICE, rather than trying to hand that off to the States and municipalities.
    It goes further than just money. Illegals are far less likely to report crimes if the local authorities have to cooperate with ICE so it makes the local authorities jobs much more difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    It goes further than just money. Illegals are far less likely to report crimes if the local authorities have to cooperate with ICE so it makes the local authorities jobs much more difficult.
    Yeah, there's other reasons to support this, I was just making the point that all "sanctuary" policies do is end voluntary cooperation with ICE. Which isn't in any way mandated or required of State or municipal officials. If ICE wants to arrest and deport people, it can use ICE agents and ICE facilities and equipment to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Sucks when states rights comes back to bite you.
    Except it isn't? It's more like it sucks when SJW cries come back to bite you since now California is going to have non criminals being deported when in the past they wouldn't necessarily have been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Except it isn't? It's more like it sucks when SJW cries come back to bite you since now California is going to have non criminals being deported when in the past they wouldn't necessarily have been.
    You've got this ass-backwards.

Trump's administration stepped up ICE enforcement to include non-criminals first. California can't do anything about federal policy, directly, just whether or not they're going to actively support it, and in this case, they chose not to. ICE isn't stepping up in response to California, it's the other way around.

And it's childish as all hell to pull the "oh yeah? Then we're gonna deport MORE people, fuck you!" card. Even if you were right, it would just demonstrate that those making these decisions were petulant fucking children rather than responsible legislators.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    "Oh you don't want to hand over just the criminals? FINE. ROUND UP ALL OF THEM. GOOD, BAD, NEUTRAL. WE'LL SEND THEM BACK BY CATAPULT IF WE HAVE TO."

seriously, did no one think this would happen?
    UK lad here. I really don't understand the absurd obsession with protecting illegals in your country. Why would you want the resource drain of an illegal immigrant, let alone criminal ones? I can't really fathom wanting to be a sanctuary city/state.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    UK lad here. I really don't understand the absurd obsession with protecting illegals in your country. Why would you want the resource drain of an illegal immigrant, let alone criminal ones? I can't really fathom wanting to be a sanctuary city/state.
    What drain? I agree when it comes to deporting criminals we should just jail them but by and large this is much to do about nothing.

It's quite the opposite. The whole point of these sanctuary cities/states is to get criminals off the streets. Illegals live in the same areas as the criminals and without the sanctuary laws, they won't turn in the criminals because they will be arrested for being illegal. The net result is that there are more criminals committing crimes against legal citizens.

It's the same reason why they allow illegals to get drivers licenses in California. So they can make sure that the illegals drive properly. They are going to drive regardless so it's better to have them adhere to the rules. The alternative is that they crash into you and just run away from the accident. It happened to a friend of mine or at least his wife.

Look at what happened to Georgia when they got tough on illegal immigrants. It did a lot of harm to their economy and they had to reverse course on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Entire State of California commits a felony, 100% removal of federal funds, even grants for California college students when?
    Should Disqualify California from receiving federal grants or aid, they have essentially gone rogue.
    California gives more to the federal government then it takes, unlike most southern (red) states that aren't named texas

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Would love to see these california politicians frog marched and executed for treason.
    what treason? Oh not bending over for little donny is treason now?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, racism. They believe these people are too weak to survive on their own, and so they need us to step in and save them from the consequences of their own actions. Bigotry of low expectations, yo.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Basically, racism. They believe these people are too weak to survive on their own, and so they need us to step in and save them from the consequences of their own actions. Bigotry of low expectations, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    so you support this? It's just as insulting as every other form of racism, only difference is it makes people feel like they're righteous heroes instead of the bigots they actually are.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

so you support this? It's just as insulting as every other form of racism, only difference is it makes people feel like they're righteous heroes instead of the bigots they actually are.
    Helping people and benefiting mutually is insulting? My word, what a silly life you lead.

Id be fine with california annexing itself and being its own little communist country over there. Instead of a wall, build a funnel where all the illegals can go, all with the drugs cartels and anyone else interested in coming over. Zero federal funding for anything. They can have fun with that little world.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyuvarax View Post
    Helping people and benefiting mutually is insulting? My word, what a silly life you lead.
    So you agree that they're too pathetic to survive on their own, to stupid to attain citizenship without your help, and too inept to rise above the menial labor you've so graciously granted?

So you agree that they're too pathetic to survive on their own, to stupid to attain citizenship without your help, and too inept to rise above the menial labor you've so graciously granted?
    By your metric, you are too stupid rise above the menial labor I've so graciously granted as well, so I'm not sure why I'd be bothered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    Id be fine with california annexing itself and being its own little communist country over there. Instead of a wall, build a funnel where all the illegals can go, all with the drugs cartels and anyone else interested in coming over. Zero federal funding for anything. They can have fun with that little world.
    Seeing as California pays way more in federal taxes then it receives, it would probably make out very well on that deal.