Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I think you're going to need more guesses. Read up on the OP article and the posts in this thread about how impractical it would be to try and duplicate the efforts of the Boy Scouts offerings for the Girl Scouts.
    I wouldn't have a problem with this if they either got rid of girl scounts and went all in on this, or they made the girl scouts more like the boy scouts. Instead, they're half assing this and just making the boy scouts change "because girls can be just like the boys too, ya know!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Apparently a lot of people, if you had bothered to pay attention.
    All right, let me rephrase.

Anyone who cares what this organization is doing to the point they're going to complain about it and make it newsworthy is a retard. Especially when the issue of debate is admitting girls into the organization.

10+ Year Old Account
    No way in hell I would let my daughter within 450 miles of the yearly Boy Scout camp Jamboree they have every year. What kind of a parent would send their teenage daughter to a camp ground with 10,000 + sexually frustrated teenage boys?

Man I loved scout camp. . . and if girls were there? OMFG. . . . . I dont even want to think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with this if they either got rid of girl scounts and went all in on this, or they made the girl scouts more like the boy scouts. Instead, they're half assing this and just making the boy scouts change "because girls can be just like the boys too, ya know!"
    They are two entirely separate, independent organizations. The Boy Scouts can't force the Girl Scouts to change with them and vice-verse.

Unlike most countries, The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are completely separate and have nothing to do with each other. Getting them to merge isn't really possible.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    If there is a market for it the resources can and will be made available for it. I don't doubt that there are some maybe even a lot of girls that want this I just don't think it is as many as people are suggesting. If the interest was that large the Girl Scouts would have found the resources to expand their offerings long ago. However, if the quotes on the previous page are any indication the Girl Scouts are not exactly supporting this change of events.

As for why to do this "because other countries" should never be a part of the reasoning period. Just because the US does something doesn't mean Canada should do it or the other way around. As for this being good for the U.S. for any number of categorical reasons I'm not convinced. I'm not saying making the change is bad I just don't see the point when there are other options.

"And what a lot of people don't realize is that the Boy Scouts offer the whole package. Camping, arts/crafts, homemaking skills (sewing merit badge, cooking, etc), civic duty, community development - all of it - along with a breadth of other areas that the Girl Scouts don't offer." I'm aware I just don't see why the Girl Scouts can't provide those options if the interest is that great. Sure, it will take time to build up the resources and the logistics etc., but I think having the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts working together and even sharing resources(camp grounds/facilities/etc.) while maintaining some form independence is the better way to go.
    I think your entire argument comes down to "if the girls want it, the Girl Scouts can/should provide it" - stop me if I'm wrong here.

The problem is that offering what the Boy Scouts have through the Girl Scouts makes almost isn't feasible. It would involve buying several huge properties, including two backpacking camps, a sailing camp, and a number of other facilities throughout the United States. It would also involve creating an entire new course of curriculum and then having the resources to not only produce it but also administer and teach it. It would also involve changing their entire command structure to accommodate the new material.

Why do all that when you can get the same benefits by saying "girls too". Signed and sealed. And we know it works because most other countries already do it.

I'm fine with it. I had a girl on my baseball team back in 3rd grade and she was actually pretty good. If girls don't want to sell cookies at super markets and want to learn about outdoorsy stuff then cool.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I see your point, and it's a pretty good one. The problem is that the Girl Scouts are against this - completely. So a "merger" or "acquisition" just isn't going to happen. At least for now. When this works and girls are flooding into the Boy Scouts and (unfortunately) leaving the Girl Scouts holding the cookie jar, we'll see if the circumstances change.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    A large selection of the badges are for physical activities like long hikes, fitness requirements, swimming, etc...
    ... Pretty sure girls are quite capable of participating in such physical activities just fine.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    All right, let me rephrase.

Anyone who cares what this organization is doing to the point they're going to complain about it and make it newsworthy is a retard. Especially when the issue of debate is admitting girls into the organization.
    Fair enough. And I agree.

i don't like the idea of girls and boys being together at a camp.

you know exactly what they're going to be doing.

i'd prefer if the girl scouts were just made more hardcore and offered all the shit the boy scouts do.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bullshit it took this long but good it finally happened. Hopefully I'll live to see the excessive censoring gone as well.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

i'd prefer if the girl scouts were just made more hardcore and offered all the shit the boy scouts do.
    They are going to be camping...just like any other coed camp and/or activity.

In high school we had girl trainers in our football locker room from time to time. Act stupid and you got reprimanded, simple as that.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

You're aware unisex camps have existed for decades

I think your entire argument comes down to "if the girls want it, the Girl Scouts can/should provide it" - stop me if I'm wrong here.

The problem is that offering what the Boy Scouts have through the Girl Scouts makes almost isn't feasible. It would involve buying several huge properties, including two backpacking camps, a sailing camp, and a number of other facilities throughout the United States. It would also involve creating an entire new course of curriculum and then having the resources to not only produce it but also administer and teach it. It would also involve changing their entire command structure to accommodate the new material.

Why do all that when you can get the same benefits by saying "girls too". Signed and sealed. And we know it works because most other countries already do it.
    That is essentially what I am saying. I also pointed out that it would take time to setup but it is doable if there is really the amount of interest that is being suggested. I also suggested that the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts work together by sharing facilities and course material. Teach them to work together while still allowing both groups to have their own thing.

Frankly I find it a little sad that there are scouts more than happy to take the easy way out rather than building something special for both groups.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    as long as they can perform the tasks to the same exact standard, I have no issues with this. except maybe the name. Going to be kinda hard to call yourself the boy scouts if you're admitting girls.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    You're aware unisex camps have existed for decades
    Have you been to a scout camp? You cant compare a camp like on Nickalodeons Hey Dude to a scout camp. Its nothing like that.

Deleted
    I mean it's not like teenage boys don't bum each other in all-boy school/camps If your concern is sex then I am afraid that ship set sail centuries ago

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    A large selection of the badges are for physical activities like long hikes, fitness requirements, swimming, etc...
    Why would women not be able to meet them?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Have you been to a scout camp? You cant compare a camp like on Nickalodeons Hey Dude to a scout camp. Its nothing like that.
    Scouts in the UK have allowed both sexes since the 70s