Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Jail time for geriatric pronouns.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...201720180SB219

Among other things, the bill would make it unlawful, except as specified, for any long-term care facility to take specified actions wholly or partially on the basis of a person’s actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status, including, among others, willfully and repeatedly failing to use a resident’s preferred name or pronouns after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns, or denying admission to a long-term care facility, transferring or refusing to transfer a resident within a facility or to another facility, or discharging or evicting a resident from a facility.

Is that legal? Apparently it is iIF I just felt like calling my boss mam every day when he is a sir they could probably fire me for being a nuisance but jail time?

Jail or a fine for not calling someone what they want to be called?

That puts us right up there with Lebanon, Venezuala, Poland , Germany, Azerbaijan, Turkey, the Netherlands, Kuwait, Bahrain, Thailand, Iran , Indonesia.
    Pretty much nobody gets rights.

Another country to avoid traveling to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    I don't get paid enough to keep up with that, I consider myself lucky if I can remember half the names of the people I interact with regularly.
    Pretty much. But in my case, even if paid more, that job wouldn't get done by me.

It mentions willfully and repeatedly calling them the wrong name/pronouns. This isn't you slipped up once, this is just being mean or hateful period. And yeah, I'm fine with that being illegal. It already is in New York City. You should be allowed to go by the name of your choosing. It's not like someone asked these people to alter anything in their personal life. If your patient's name is Xena, that that's what you call them. It's called being a professional. Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Jilor View Post
    It mentions willfully and repeatedly calling them the wrong name/pronouns. This isn't you slipped up once, this is just being mean or hateful period. And yeah, I'm fine with that being illegal. It already is in New York City. You should be allowed to go by the name of your choosing. It's not like someone asked these people to alter anything in their personal life. If your patient's name is Xena, that that's what you call them. It's called being a professional. Who cares?
    There's zero logic behind calling someone something they're not.

Is there jail time for calling them asshole, bitch or douchebag? Or are just incorrect pronouns mean?

To be "up there" with germany and the netherlands, you'll have to improve a lot.

https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefwe..._Index_Map.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    There's zero logic behind calling someone something they're not.
    Well considering people can just decide whatever gender they identify as, on any given day, how are you supposed to know which one is correct at any given moment?

I will literally end up in jail for calling a man, "sir".

Just because he thinks he's a woman with a dick.

No I will not call a man "ma'am".

You are what you are, not what you think you are or what you wish to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Is there jail time for calling them asshole, bitch or douchebag? Or are just incorrect pronouns mean?
    This is a poor argument because this is explicitly referring to long term care facilities. In other words, it's talking about the professional world. If you called patients those names, you probably wouldn't have a job. This isn't you called someone something on the street, this is a law prescribed to ensure people who may not be able to care for themselves are treated with respect and dignity.

According to “Stories from the Field: LGBT Older Adults in Long-Term Care Facilities,” a 2011 study published by the National Senior Citizens Law Center, these issues have gone unaddressed. In that study, 43 percent of respondents reported personally witnessing or experiencing instances of mistreatment of LGBT seniors in a long-term care facility, including all of the following: being refused admission or readmission, being abruptly discharged, verbal or physical harassment from staff, staff refusal to accept medical power of attorney from the resident’s spouse or partner, discriminatory restrictions on visitation, and staff refusal to refer to a transgender resident by his or her preferred name or pronoun.
    I find it interesting that people insist on focusing exclusively on the last part of that and conveniently ignore everything else laws like this are intended to address.

I'm sure if there was a study that said some x% of elderly black people were being called "nigger" or "boy" by their caregivers, it would be just as easy to dismiss their concerns as an SJW plot to jail people for using the wrong words.

This is a poor argument because this is explicitly referring to long term care facilities. In other words, it's talking about the professional world. If you called patients those names, you probably wouldn't have a job. This isn't you called someone something on the street, this is a law prescribed to ensure people who may not be able to care for themselves are treated with respect and dignity.
    It would be disrespectful to call people something they are not, it would be respectful to call people something they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    It would be disrespectful to call people something they are not, it would be respectful to call people something they are.
    Good thing somewhere in the US sees it other than the right wing 'we don't believe in science' way.

Deleted
    The right wing, desperate to the defend the emotional abuse and ritual humiliation of the long term sick, infirm and elderly.

and they have the cheek to accuse the left of a lack of moral failings...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, smells a bit of bullshit. Doesn't this like.. take away from the whole, freedom of speech thing?

Dunno, but seems harsh and a waste of resources.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

This is not for saying the wrong pronoun once or twice.
    This is for repeatedly using a pronoun that is different than the person in question wants to be called after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    This is not for saying the wrong pronoun once or twice.
    This is for repeatedly using a pronoun that is different than the person in question wants to be called after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns
    Don't like what they are saying? Fire them and move on. Censorship laws are not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    Don't like what they are saying? Fire them and move on. Censorship laws are not needed.
    The problem is an elderly patient may not be able to fire their long term caregiving facility. This is much less censorship and much more harassment. This punishes people who walk in everyday and bully people who may be unable to fight back (even through legal means), depending on the condition of their physical health.

The problem is an elderly patient may not be able to fire their long term caregiving facility. This is much less censorship and much more harassment. This punishes people who walk in everyday and bully people who may be unable to fight back (even through legal means), depending on the condition of their physical health.
    The facility can fire their employees. Elderly can "verbally bully" their caregivers as well. You want the elderly arrested when they do it to their caregivers?
    Last edited by Total Crica; 2017-10-11 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    if challenged in the supreme court it will likely be deemed unconstitutional.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.