Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Well considering people can just decide whatever gender they identify as, on any given day, how are you supposed to know which one is correct at any given moment?
    How dare you! I identify as a half dragon-half bunny with 18 sets of genitals, only 4 of which have names pronounceable by the human tongue!

Boom, gaol, 10,000 year sentence, THROW THAT BOOK HARD!
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

15+ Year Old Account
    I just say we should be able say someone who doesn't want to choose "he" or "she" an "it" and leave it at that. I'm too old to deal with that crap.

Otherwise, I follow Undoomed's example and self identify as an Apache attack helicopter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this legislating what people MUST say?

If one's reason for wanting to be addressed by a different pronoun is entirely ideological - someone not identify with social norms pertaining to men and women - i'd refuse the request.

If any part of this bill violates the First Amendment, then the Supreme Court will bitch-slap it into oblivion. Nothing to see here, move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    There's zero logic behind calling someone something they're not.
    Im not gonna talk too extensively about this since gender threads arent allowed, but this is the logic both sides are using but from a different point of view. A MtF person believes they are female and get mad when called sir, because in their eyes, they are not a sir. But someone else would see they are born man, and thus a sir. And they dont want to call someone they 'know' is male, a female pronoun.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Im not gonna talk too extensively about this since gender threads arent allowed, but this is the logic both sides are using but from a different point of view. A MtF person believes they are female and get mad when called sir, because in their eyes, they are not a sir. But someone else would see they are born man, and thus a sir. And they dont want to call someone they 'know' is male, a female pronoun.
    The thing is, it's not like it hurts anything. If someone wants me to call them a magician while I'm working, I'll call them that any time I need to address them. At most, it may take me a second. Again, this doesn't notably alter the harasser's life in any way, while it may be detrimental mentally to the elderly patient in question. Like, I guess I just don't get why so many people in this thread are so concerned if someone gets called she or he. If someone wants to be an attack helicopter, cool me with me. Be the best attack helicopter you can be. I don't have to be an asshole to prove some imaginary point by calling people something other than how they introduce themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jilor View Post
    I don't have to be an asshole
    And you don't need to make it illegal to be one. That would make you an asshole. Funny how that works, eh?

The thing is, it's not like it hurts anything. If someone wants me to call them a magician while I'm working, I'll call them that any time I need to address them. At most, it may take me a second. Again, this doesn't notably alter the harasser's life in any way, while it may be detrimental mentally to the elderly patient in question. Like, I guess I just don't get why so many people in this thread are so concerned if someone gets called she or he. If someone wants to be an attack helicopter, cool me with me. Be the best attack helicopter you can be. I don't have to be an asshole to prove some imaginary point by calling people something other than how they introduce themselves.
    Like i said, i dont want to talk too much about it, but im on the opposite side of the argument as you. Knowingly saying somethign that i believe to not be true, does hurt me mentally. I'm not going to tell someone that 2+2=5 no matter how much they believe it to be. 'truth' in this case is subjective.

" Like, I guess I just don't get why so many people in this thread are so concerned if someone gets called she or he. " I could say the opposite and say i dont get why so many people are concerned if they are referred to as a he or a she.

Limiting what im allowed to say is why I mainly have a problem with it. Don't limit what im allowed to say and I wont limit how you refer to yourself. You can be an apache helicopter if you want, but ill still call you sir. Or, in the most likely scenario, we will jsut extremely limit our interactions with eachother since we can't seem to agree on something so basic.

If it has a dick and balls it’s a he if it does not it’s a she. God Even a kindergartener gets it, who can forget kindergarten cop

Quote Originally Posted by Under Your Spell View Post
    Another country to avoid traveling to.
    Unless you plan on working in a long-term care facility while you are traveling...you don't have anything to worry about.

Did anyone actually read the OP? Even just as far as the first sentence?
    Among other things, the bill would make it unlawful, except as specified, for any long-term care facility to take specified actions wholly or partially on the basis of a person’s actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status, including, among others, willfully and repeatedly failing to use a resident’s preferred name or pronouns after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns, or denying admission to a long-term care facility, transferring or refusing to transfer a resident within a facility or to another facility, or discharging or evicting a resident from a facility.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    I will literally end up in jail for calling a man, "sir".

Just because he thinks he's a woman with a dick.

No I will not call a man "ma'am".

You are what you are, not what you think you are or what you wish to be.
    Easy way to avoid this. Don't work in a long-term care facility. If you already do and you can't muster up enough courtesy to treat your patients with respect...you should find work in another field.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Unless you plan on working in a long-term care facility while you are traveling...you don't have anything to worry about.

Did anyone actually read the OP? Even just as far as the first sentence?

- - - Updated - - -

Easy way to avoid this. Don't work in a long-term care facility. If you already do and you can't muster up enough courtesy to treat your patients with respect...you should find work in another field.
    I think the argument here is that if they are allowing this, whats to stop them from continuing down this road and broadening the punishments to more areas?

I think the argument here is that if they are allowing this, whats to stop them from continuing down this road and broadening the punishments to more areas?
    So we're just jumping straight into a slippery slope fallacy then...cool.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    I don't get paid enough to keep up with that, I consider myself lucky if I can remember half the names of the people I interact with regularly.
    The counter-argument to this by A.W. Peet who was debating with Jordan Peterson is that you can just save their information in phones so there's no reason to not know what to call them by.

I'm honestly not making this up.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    And you don't need to make it illegal to be one. That would make you an asshole. Funny how that works, eh?
    Well, it turns out, I am not a representative for the state of California (nor am I even a resident of that state). It's like nearly 1000 miles from me to reach any of their borders. So, I guess I would not be the asshole here. I was just talking in general that lots of people have told me weird names or whatever over the years and I never thought... OH MY GOD, YOU DON'T LOOK LIKE A SHAQUISHA (yeah, seriously knew someone with that name). I thought, ok, so her name is Shaquisha. And then I always called her by that name. Weird how that works and in no way affected my life. My argument is mostly focused on why, apparently, California felt they needed a law like this in the first place. Because people freak out over names/pronouns. Don't like the pronouns they use, call them by their name. And if that is too hard, giving life giving care for elderly people probably shouldn't be your line of work. Then you avoid the situation altogether! We can all be friends, it's cool.

So we're just jumping straight into a slippery slope fallacy then...cool.
    You know what an overton window is. You can clearly see the effects of what happens when things that were previously taboo, start to become normalized.

You can cry slippery slope all you want, but it happens. All. The. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    The counter-argument to this by A.W. Peet who was debating with Jordan Peterson is that you can just save their information in phones so there's no reason to not know what to call them by.

I'm honestly not making this up.
    Well, a medical facility will likely have all that information stored in multiple PCs and likely in paperwork located in the room. So it's not even like you have to notably be capable of remembering every patient you've ever seen in your life. Since most people seemed to have skipped the part of the very first sentence where it mentioned this explicitly applies to long term care facilities.

"So what are you in for? I killed a guy"
    "I whistled at a lady on the street"
    "I didn't call xig by xig's preferred pronoun"

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, a medical facility will likely have all that information stored in multiple PCs and likely in paperwork located in the room. So it's not even like you have to notably be capable of remembering every patient you've ever seen in your life. Since most people seemed to have skipped the part of the very first sentence where it mentioned this explicitly applies to long term care facilities.
    Slopes can often be slippery.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

You know what an overton window is. You can clearly see the effects of what happens when things that were previously taboo, start to become normalized.

You can cry slippery slope all you want, but it happens. All. The. Time.
    We cannot unlock our child from the closet because if we do, she will want to roam the house. If we let her roam the house, she will want to roam the neighborhood. If she roams the neighborhood, she will get picked up by a stranger in a van, who will sell her in a sex slavery ring in some other country. Therefore, we should keep her locked up in the closet.

If you accept that the story of Adam and Eve was figurative, then you will do the same for most of the Old Testament stories of similar literary styles. Once you are there, the New Testament and the story of Jesus does not make sense, which will lead you to believe that the resurrection of Jesus was a “spiritual” one. Once you accept that, you won’t be a Christian anymore; you will be a dirty atheist, then you will have no morals and start having sex with animals of a barnyard nature. So you better take the story of Adam and Eve literally, before the phrase, “that chicken looks delicious”, takes on a whole new meaning.

We cannot unlock our child from the closet because if we do, she will want to roam the house. If we let her roam the house, she will want to roam the neighborhood. If she roams the neighborhood, she will get picked up by a stranger in a van, who will sell her in a sex slavery ring in some other country. Therefore, we should keep her locked up in the closet.

If you accept that the story of Adam and Eve was figurative, then you will do the same for most of the Old Testament stories of similar literary styles. Once you are there, the New Testament and the story of Jesus does not make sense, which will lead you to believe that the resurrection of Jesus was a “spiritual” one. Once you accept that, you won’t be a Christian anymore; you will be a dirty atheist, then you will have no morals and start having sex with animals of a barnyard nature. So you better take the story of Adam and Eve literally, before the phrase, “that chicken looks delicious”, takes on a whole new meaning.
    You are being disingenuous here.

all im saying is that if u legalize punishing people for using the incorrect pronouns in one area of life, you risk legalize punishing people for using the incorrect pronouns in different areas of life too. Really not the big of a step. Dont even need to lube the slope up. That small little step is slippery enough.