Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Gameplay: The game is solid, if you liked the first one you'll like this. It's a solid action/stealth game.

Everything else: Fuck this game, it beats you over the head with microtransactions and BS forced multiplayer. You can't even exit the game without it asking you, once again, if you'd be happy with them using your details for more profit for themselves.

The graphics are subpar, textures (w/ the HD textures) are blurry and generally the environment detail is poor. It runs well (w/ a gtx1080ti @100fps full ultra 1440p) but well, that's to be expected with year old quality. They've reused tons of animations and added barely any. Not on for a full fledged sequel. They've filled it with pre-rendered cutscenes, which explains the 60gb download but seriously, I haven't seen a game with nothing but cutscenes since the original playstation and while minor, it is jarring in a gear based game to swap from fully fledged epic gear with gold timmings to the same stuff you wore hours ago.

In summary this is a company, who used a solid gaming 'franchise' to milk as much cash as they could. The entire game is designed around how to make extra money, it's so blindingly obvious I wish the gameplay sucked too so I would've quit earlier to get a refund.

I usually try to keep 'politics' out of game reviews but holyshit if this game represents the future of gaming then i'm done. WB Games can go fuck themselves. This game is the epitome of profit over customers.
    It does not beat you over the head with micro-transactions. I'm nearly finished with the story and I rarely seen anything mentioned about it. As for the online stuff. It doesn't force you to do them either. Vendetta you don't have to do them and then the online fortress stuff you don't have to do them. Not forced at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    It does not beat you over the head with micro-transactions. I'm nearly finished with the story and I rarely seen anything mentioned about it. As for the online stuff. It doesn't force you to do them either. Vendetta you don't have to do them and then the online fortress stuff you don't have to do them. Not forced at all.
    I played a single session. I had to say no to the same question 3 times. That's beating you over the head imo, disagree all you want. Doesn't change the fact this game was built as a whale hunting machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was kind of hyped up before hand how your greatest follower from Shadow of Mordor would follow you into this game, well I was kind of curious when he would show up. I was expecting a big fight like with your nemesis in the arena, but my guy was just...there during the fight with Bruz in the stronghold after he betrays you. Dissapointment =(

Quote Originally Posted by Soulflayer View Post
    Im having a really bad time with the game. Im not enjoying even a bit... In my last mission, helping one of my orcs to attack other, I put others of my caps in the mission to help the first one. I go to help too, I got ambushed, being in the same number both factions(mine and the bad orcs)...I was losing, due the poor combat system and my lack of use the fucking gamepad properly and my bodyguard BETRAYS ME when the last mission I save him...W T F? Result, me dieying, losing 3 of my 4 caps -.-
    I’m on nemesis, if I get overwhelmed and almost die, I run away and drain rats for HP. Killed warchiefs like that

10+ Year Old Account
    Gameplay: The game is solid, if you liked the first one you'll like this. It's a solid action/stealth game.

Everything else: Fuck this game, it beats you over the head with microtransactions and BS forced multiplayer. You can't even exit the game without it asking you, once again, if you'd be happy with them using your details for more profit for themselves.

The graphics are subpar, textures (w/ the HD textures) are blurry and generally the environment detail is poor. It runs well (w/ a gtx1080ti @100fps full ultra 1440p) but well, that's to be expected with year old quality. They've reused tons of animations and added barely any. Not on for a full fledged sequel. They've filled it with pre-rendered cutscenes, which explains the 60gb download but seriously, I haven't seen a game with nothing but cutscenes since the original playstation and while minor, it is jarring in a gear based game to swap from fully fledged epic gear with gold timmings to the same stuff you wore hours ago.

In summary this is a company, who used a solid gaming 'franchise' to milk as much cash as they could. The entire game is designed around how to make extra money, it's so blindingly obvious I wish the gameplay sucked too so I would've quit earlier to get a refund.

I usually try to keep 'politics' out of game reviews but holyshit if this game represents the future of gaming then i'm done. WB Games can go fuck themselves. This game is the epitome of profit over customers

I played a single session. I had to say no to the same question 3 times. That's beating you over the head imo, disagree all you want. Doesn't change the fact this game was built as a whale hunting machine.
    Are we playing the same game? You played one session and somehow were bothered 3 times? In my many hours thus far, other than the INITIAL ToS, I have not been asked or even directed to chests.

I have, not once, been beat over the head regarding microtransaction. It's hidden behind a market place option in the ESC menu - with small icons indicating dailies or the potential "deal of the day" sort of thing. I have yet to have any sort of warning or message asking to use my information, or even throwing microtransactions at me.

Additionally, what do you mean the textures and environment details are poor? The game looks great for me, running with the HD textures. I'd say its comparable to most modern day titles in terms of graphics, and it runs incredibly smooth too - which is uncommon for a lot of game releases.

If you liked Shadow of Mordor, you will love this game. Don't listen to Jakexe. He either hasn't played the game, or is intentionally trying to stir up trouble. I went into the game with sub-par expectations and have thoroughly enjoyed the hours I've put into it thus far.

Also, play on the Nemesis difficulty if you want to truly experience everything it has to offer. You won't regret it. The game is built for you to die - that is part of the experience. You will buff up the enemy who killed you, and offer more potential in gearing as well.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2017-10-11 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Are we playing the same game? You played one session and somehow were bothered 3 times? In my many hours thus far, other than the INITIAL ToS, I have not been asked or even directed to chests.

I have, not once, been beat over the head regarding microtransaction. It's hidden behind a market place option in the ESC menu - with small icons indicating dailies or the potential "deal of the day" sort of thing. I have yet to have any sort of warning or message asking to use my information, or even throwing microtransactions at me.

Additionally, what do you mean the textures and environment details are poor? The game looks great for me, running with the HD textures. I'd say its comparable to most modern day titles in terms of graphics, and it runs incredibly smooth too - which is uncommon for a lot of game releases.

If you liked Shadow of Mordor, you will love this game. Don't listen to Jakexe. He either hasn't played the game, or is intentionally trying to stir up trouble. I went into the game with sub-par expectations and have thoroughly enjoyed the hours I've put into it thus far.

Also, play on the Nemesis difficulty if you want to truly experience everything it has to offer. You won't regret it. The game is built for you to die - that is part of the experience. You will buff up the enemy who killed you, and offer more potential in gearing as well.
    Get the game if you want a good game, it's a good solid gameplay experience. I expect to enjoy it till the end. Doesn't negate my negative views of what Wb games have done to a potentially great franchise.

Ahh yes, the I disagree with you therefore you haven't even experienced it argument.

I played a single 4 hour session, I was asked when i started, I was asked after the intro section, I was asked when i quit to windows. 3 times, for something I said no to asap and never wanted to bothered with again.

They've introduced a currency system that was absent from the previous game, it introduces nothing but a "pay this to get this" functionality. Explain to me how a currency they sprinkle to you in the game, but is as open as your wallet enhances the gameplay experience.

The graphics are sub-par, my pc can run it 100fps+ at full ultra @ 1440p and has zero hiccups. Great experience, it's smooth as hell, but you simple don't understand 3d modelling nor texture rendering if you think this looks like a modern game. The textures are on par with any cod, decent, but it isn't pushing pc capabilities. I expected better from the trailers but i've gotten use to being lied to from them.

I'm playing on nemisis, I like a challenge from my games, which so far it looks to provide, so again, great game that's heavily weighed down by wb games greed.

But considering my issues you didn't address, how do you feel about so many used animations and the overuse of prerendered cutscenes?
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2017-10-11 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Sounds like "I want to play the game but I'm cheap so I'll pirate it while using X business practice as an excuse". If you're gonna pirate it, at least be honest enough, don't try to justify it with some fake sense of morality
    So in contrary to my earlier statement that I would pirate the game, I haven't pirated a game for quite a while now, because I despise forced microtransactions, I have purchased the game on Steam. I have, since my earlier statement, read several reviews (RPS for one), where the emphasis was on the crates as a mechanic and as far as their response goes, it isn't actually as bad as it seems to be in terms of 'being forced'. Nor did they experience any excessive advertisement or spam.

I've been playing for about 4 hours yesterday (normal mode) and possibly the most annoying is the User Agreement they force through your throat. I didn't allow them to collect information, so I am forced to play offline (yay!) deliberately, but as a result it seems you keep getting asked that same question over and over and over when starting and closing the game. Well WB, trust me, I have the longest breath in this one. You're not getting my approval to collect your harmless information, motherfuckers.

That said @Jakexe is absolutely right when calling the textures ugly and dated. They are. I'm running everything on ultra with 2x GTX1080 and it's rather disappointing. I actually went looking for the good stuff after starting up the game and going like; Ugh..., but it turns out that the higher resolution literally sucks just as much. Yeah, there's a difference, but a disappointingly small one.

The game definitely runs as smooth (for me) as it should on this machine.

I don't mind the cutscenes as much, but I do agree that the worldbuilding itself probably took the most time in terms of game-development and even that is nothing compared to building a new game from the ground up. Most mechanics existed in the original, so they really only had work on cutscenes, world and a little improvement here and there.

I would still say that it's worth the price, because it offers a great experience. You'll be enjoying yourself immensely if you like this type of game. It's open worldy, but not too open worldy, they put effort in the unique appearance and lines of the captains (at least at the start), which I just really enjoy and you'll get surprised (ambushed) often enough to keep the game challenging). I ended up playing a lot more than I wanted to last night. So weak willed.

There's one guy who's basically following me around the world. He's called [something] the survivor. Well.. the name is justified, because he was cleaved in half by me, lost his limbs several times after that and I've stabby-stabbied him a dozen times over, but he just keeps coming back. I'm lucky that he's not that hard to kill, because he tends to ambush me midfight. Fun thing is that he seems to get more stitches every time he appears again.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2017-10-12 at 06:36 AM.

Haven't been bothered once. Strange.

I only ever see an option for micro-transactions if I go into the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Frank View Post
    Haven't been bothered once. Strange.

I only ever see an option for micro-transactions if I go into the market.
    Odd. I've never seen the actually marketplace in game, it's locked out from the menus. I had a quick play before and it asked me again on log in and nothing on log out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post

Convenient video to watch for more evidence but more reason for me not to buy this game. Campaign is 15 hours long which isn't bad. But if you want to unlock the true ending be prepared for hours upon hours of grinding. Unless you pay real money. Which is disappointing.
    I don't like playing not full game, and i think that full game costs less than they ask for (60$ at max instead of 90$). If i buy it for 60$ i basically get a inferior version of a game, without two big tribes of orcs and without two story lines. It doesn't even add to replayability (which is 0, just like shadow of mordor, there is 0 incentive to replay the game, you, basically, have inferior character in the beginning and grind up everything. You don't chose different path, you don't chose different options - with enough /played time you'll open everything), because i won't be finishing the game, then starting it all over because i bought DLCs, i must buy DLCs on my first playthrough or it'll be less enjoyable, because it will be full of "i already did that and bored because of grindy 4th act" effect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    This is slowly becoming the new meme review of gaming "Its more like an expansion than a new game"

Why is it a bad thing when successful video games do what made them successful then people rage "ITS NOT NEW ENOUGH CALL IT XYZ 1.5"

If they had changed it dramatically they would piss off the fans that brought the first game. Cant win
    Because there is a difference between new game and an expansion. If it's an expansion - call it just that - an expansion. No need to try to fool people into thinking that it's a new game.

But doing that would make people think, "hey, why am i paying 90$ for an expansion for a game?". I mean, yeah, someone who didn't play shadows of mordor will find value (90$ for a good game), but those who played shadows of mordor are robbed, because they already bought the base game of shadows of mordor.

Imagine having to buy Warcraft3:TFT only in conjunction with full priced Warcraft3:RoC? Yeah, doesn't sound good. But modern game industry make it sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    The game is so much fun to play.

And the currency system is actually an good for me as a player that isn't interested in the "competitive" (lol) Multiplayer aspect.

I don't have to "grind" captains and can buy them with ingame currency which I have more than just a little bit left over. (basically, I have to no clue on what to spend it on because so far everything seems to be "1 time only" purchases)
    They might as well call it a "bribe" system where you recruit captains with money which will then allow you to dominate them.

The graphics are fine too... it's pretty well optimized compared to most other games. They are not "next generation" though but that is okay for me, because my PC is older and I think it looks better than most other games I can play with similar settings and similar FPS.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-10-12 at 09:29 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome game. Definitely recommend it.

Also, unsure what so many people are complaining about with the loot boxes, I get about 15-20 every 4 or so hours of casual play. The in-game currency is so easy to get, it's ridiculous that people think they are forced to pay.

I've also yet to have anything in-game flash the Market at me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Because there is a difference between new game and an expansion. If it's an expansion - call it just that - an expansion. No need to try to fool people into thinking that it's a new game.
    This reasoning is always stupid as hell. 2 Games can be the exact same core gameplay wise with different Stories and a few extra things and still be a new game.

people that call things like this an "expansion" only do it because a) they are just mindlessly trying to hate on it or B) they think games have to change entirely between sequels core gameplay wise which is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what game Jakexe or Vespian are playing, as their experience is entirely different.

I've been playing for about 4 hours yesterday (normal mode) and possibly the most annoying is the User Agreement they force through your throat. I didn't allow them to collect information, so I am forced to play offline (yay!) deliberately, but as a result it seems you keep getting asked that same question over and over and over when starting and closing the game. Well WB, trust me, I have the longest breath in this one. You're not getting my approval to collect your harmless information, motherfuckers.
    Hmm, so you didn't agree to the Terms of Service and are upset that its asking you to agree to them when you log in? I'm afraid that is exactly what a Terms of Service is. They absolutely have to ask you to agree to it. If you choose not to, they are obligated to ask you again.

That said @Jakexe is absolutely right when calling the textures ugly and dated. They are. I'm running everything on ultra with 2x GTX1080 and it's rather disappointing. I actually went looking for the good stuff after starting up the game and going like; Ugh..., but it turns out that the higher resolution literally sucks just as much. Yeah, there's a difference, but a disappointingly small one.
    Also very odd. If you download the High Res Texture Pack (free), you get access to the Ultra texture resolution option. Before you complain about it being a separate download - it's to keep 10GB out of the initial install for those who don't need that as its meant for 1440p and 4K resolutions.

My game looks stunning, and performs well, at max settings on a 4K monitor. I just played Shadow of Mordor over the weekend as a refresher, and this game is leagues ahead of it in every way - including graphics.

But considering my issues you didn't address, how do you feel about so many used animations and the overuse of prerendered cutscenes?
    I didn't address your previous issues, as they were non-issues and simply made up. After 15 hours in this game I have yet to be bothered about loot chests of any kind. The over used animations? How many animations were you expecting? The animations change depending on the unit type and the class of the unit. I'm not sure what you expected there. This is exactly how I expected it to play out.

As for pre-rendered cut scenes: this is just a complaint within a complaint. I also do not understand the argument behind pre-rendered cutscenes being bad. Sure, I get that it sucks to take up more storage but is storage really an issue for you? If it isn't, then this is another non-issue and a complaint for the sake of complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Hmm, so you didn't agree to the Terms of Service and are upset that its asking you to agree to them when you log in? I'm afraid that is exactly what a Terms of Service is. They absolutely have to ask you to agree to it. If you choose not to, they are obligated to ask you again.
    Ehm.. no this is slightly different. The ToS and the separate checkbox are two unique aspects of the agreement. The first is lawfully binding, the second is probably illegal in many countries and you do not have to accept it to accept the ToS. It's very cleverly put in the same context as the ToS, but it's basically a bribe; If you don't sign we will ask you over and over to sign and disable any online interaction, to allow us to spam you with 'personalized' messages and use all the info we can get on you. I was tipped by a reddit post that the ToS is a mind-trick, so I didn't fall for it.

Sadly, that does mean that WB 'presses the issue' repeatedly.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2017-10-12 at 08:17 PM.

I am literally stuck.

I cannot get past one of the Overlords.
    Insane perks.

Fucking shield bearers with OP 2 hit KO move. If I had him 1 on 1, it wouldn't be a problem, it's all the fucking spear throwers that keep re spawning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is he arrow proof? If not, try and run around and build up focus, whittling down his health. I had to fight a guy like that...so tedious. If he is, though, get the Shadow Strike Domination upgrade from Elthariel's quests. Do the same thing, run around getting focus and elf shot, but keep shadow dominating all spear throwers. You get back your health, have followers to fight for you, and they make a decent distraction while you get some combos in.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Is he arrow proof? If not, try and run around and build up focus, whittling down his health. I had to fight a guy like that...so tedious. If he is, though, get the Shadow Strike Domination upgrade from Elthariel's quests. Do the same thing, run around getting focus and elf shot, but keep shadow dominating all spear throwers. You get back your health, have followers to fight for you, and they make a decent distraction while you get some combos in.
    He's arrow proof. He's not execution proof though.

Been trying to do something similar. Got him down to 60% odd, but getting raped by poison spears AND watching the curse vents gets the better of me.
    Basically just need to git gud.

10+ Year Old Account
    In that case try thinning out his spear throwers with headshots. I know they don't stop coming, but it should help. Also, in Overlord rooms there are usually archers on the balconies in case you need a quick drain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Frank View Post
    He's arrow proof. He's not execution proof though.

Been trying to do something similar. Got him down to 60% odd, but getting raped by poison spears AND watching the curse vents gets the better of me.
    Basically just need to git gud.
    Get a bodyguard that counters his abilities. Got raped by a fiery overlord, with sapper bands, so I picked a "hate of fire" olog tank as bodyguard. It was so funny to see the olog crushing the overlord's head.

Well, this blew. There is this one warchief, his mechanic? Well he enrages all the time, like the second he is done enraging, he enrages again, and he killed me a few times, but I figured I would just kill him during the fortress assault, well he was almost dead during it, I was riding a graug that had almost no health left and I had a little over half, he hit the graug, and the game bugged and registered it as me being hit so I died and failed the siege.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.