Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    You can skip an entire single player game by simply not playing it, so why not have the ability skip parts of it. Who exactly does it make any difference for what someone else does in with their single player experience.

I don't see what the issue is with such an option in a single player game. Other people using it literally won't affect you at all, and if you don't like it just don't choose the option.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the combat is not the whole game or major part of it (shooter, fighting, beat'em up, etc) then combat sections should be skippable.
    The way in which they should be skippable - that's up to the devs and should be treated per case.

Look at tell tail games. This is what some players want from a story driven game or even an rpg.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I don't see what the issue is with such an option in a single player game. Other people using it literally won't affect you at all, and if you don't like it just don't choose the option.
    To me this is not an argument about other people. I really don't care what other people do. However, if games still sell, even though they virtually have no difficulty, this will be another gate-opener, another precedent, for developers, publishers, to start pushing more and more games that require no effort to play and thus barely any effort to create. This last part is and has been an issue for years, with ups and downs, and is equally disruptive as the increase of P2W and F2P elements in premium games. As that EA CEO once said, we can sell bullets, per bullet, because people will pay for it. -Loosely quoted.

This needs to stop. If you give them a finger, they will take your arm.

But to be more frank, you really have no business playing games if you're not playing the game.

-edit- Telltales aren't games. They lack their own definition, but they're more like interactive novels than games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    But to be more frank, you really have no business playing games if you're not playing the game.
    Yeah, well, thing is though, if elitist ideology like that ruled the gaming development world, you wouldn't have many games to play, because there wouldn't be people who'd want to buy them. Most you'd have would be some indie Cuphead and it's ilk, and not very many AAA titles.

To me this is not an argument about other people. I really don't care what other people do. However, if games still sell, even though they virtually have no difficulty, this will be another gate-opener, another precedent, for developers, publishers, to start pushing more and more games that require no effort to play and thus barely any effort to create. This last part is and has been an issue for years, with ups and downs, and is equally disruptive as the increase of P2W and F2P elements in premium games. As that EA CEO once said, we can sell bullets, per bullet, because people will pay for it. -Loosely quoted.

This needs to stop. If you give them a finger, they will take your arm.

-edit- Telltales aren't games. They lack their own definition, but they're more like interactive novels than games.
    Clearly you do care, because you seem to have your own definition of what playing a game means, and if someone doesn't satisfy your definition you've decided they should be doing something else, even though it has no effect on you whatsoever.

If I roleplay a peaceful alchemist in Skyrim and avoid combat if at all possible, am I not playing the game? If you skip a fight you're still playing the game, just not all of it.

I think your fears about the potential effects on game development are unfounded. Combat has been the basis of, or at least a significant part of, the majority of computer games since the very beginning. Spacewar! was developed in 1962. It's never going to go away, because developers know that the majority of their customers want it and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah, well, thing is though, if elitist ideology like that ruled the gaming development world, you wouldn't have many games to play, because there wouldn't be people who'd want to buy them. Most you'd have would be some indie Cuphead and it's ilk, and not very many AAA titles.
    It has nothing to do with elitism. I'm just an average player. We have EASY, MEDIUM, HARD and INSANE difficulties already. When does the fucking dumbing down of shit stop??? We're now going for laughable, or skippable? Can we give it a fucking break already? If you want to have it easier than EASY, you are simply not fit to live in this world. NOTHING to do with elitism.

It's this distorted thinking that keeps degrading the human race. Everything needs to be as easy as possible and if you criticize the lack of effort people are willing to put in for their salary or any type of reward, they defend the whankers that don't want to fucking work for their upkeep.

If I roleplay a peaceful alchemist in Skyrim and avoid combat if at all possible, am I not playing the game? If you skip a fight you're still playing the game, just not all of it.
    Gameplay and game difficulty are not the same thing. If a game is designed AROUND allowing you play it your way, that's fine. We are talking about people that want to skip stuff, because they suck. And I mean the most literal perceivable kind of SUCK. The people that need help taking a shit.

I think your fears about the potential effects on game development are unfounded. Combat has been the basis of, or at least a significant part of, the majority of computer games since the very beginning. Spacewar! was developed in 1962. It's never going to go away, because developers know that the majority of their customers want it and enjoy it.
    Sadly, what you think is irrelevant. What we have over the last decade, is the proof that we're slowly being conditioned by games developers to swallow any and all FEED they force through our throats.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2017-10-12 at 11:38 AM.

Well I suppose even Games Journalists need to "beat" games.

Especially if they are supposed to review them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    Coming to wow soon raid instances without mobs. For RPers.
    This would be a thing, though! So many unused rooms out there!

Besides that, in D&D you get Exp for an encounter even if you can skip a fight due to clever use of your skills (like mass-invisibility on your group and good stealth rolls). You pass on possible loot in this case, but you can move forward and get credit for solving the problem in this way. Just like stealth runs we had in WoW back then. Skip all / most trash in TBC heroics and just go for the bosses. Druids + Rogues only, but these classes got all roles covered.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2017-10-12 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    This would be a thing, though! So many unused rooms out there!

Besides that, in D&D you get Exp for an encounter even if you can skip a fight due to clever use of your skills (like mass-invisibility on your group and good stealth rolls). You pass on possible loot in this case, but you can move forward and get credit for solving the problem in this way. Just like stealth runs we had in WoW back then. Skip all / most trash in TBC heroics and just go for the bosses. Druids + Rogues only, but these classes got all roles covered.
    Which is a fine example of the game being designed around this type of event. Not just a SKIP THIS FIGHT BUTTON.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Well I suppose even Games Journalists need to "beat" games.

Especially if they are supposed to review them.
    Actually, now you put it this way; If every game had a difficulty called "Games journalist", that would be the best stab at games journalism ever and I would totally be in favor.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2017-10-12 at 11:44 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    How long until this feature is mandatory? What mandatory feature follows after that? Where does it end?
    When it does, speak with your wallet. Don't buy games with it in it. If no one really wants it, it won't sell. It ends when people stop buying it. As long as people are buying it, that means there is a demand for it. Like it or not

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    If the combat is not the whole game or major part of it (shooter, fighting, beat'em up, etc) then combat sections should be skippable.
    The way in which they should be skippable - that's up to the devs and should be treated per case.

Look at tell tail games. This is what some players want from a story driven game or even an rpg.
    And they are free to buy those games. They exist.
    Why do all games have to be like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    When it does, speak with your wallet. Don't buy games with it in it. If no one really wants it, it won't sell. It ends when people stop buying it. As long as people are buying it, that means there is a demand for it. Like it or not
    Here's a little thought experiment for you.

Cuphead comes out and is advertised from its inception as a throwback to the challenging platformers of yore. It sells very well.

A Cuphead sequel is made and in all respects it is equal in quality to the original but due to pressure from video game journalists has added the fabled skip boss option. It sells better than the first.

So is the lesson here that the boss skip button lead to more sells or just that the popularity of Cuphead carried itself ever higher? And your logic says I should miss out on a good sequel because of something you could never prove?

There are right things to do and there are wrong things to do. Allowing people to skip gameplay in a game is wrong.

Deleted
    It has nothing to do with elitism. I'm just an average player. We have EASY, MEDIUM, HARD and INSANE difficulties already. When does the fucking dumbing down of shit stop??? We're now going for laughable, or skippable? Can we give it a fucking break already? If you want to have it easier than EASY, you are simply not fit to live in this world. NOTHING to do with elitism.

It's this distorted thinking that keeps degrading the human race. Everything needs to be as easy as possible and if you criticize the lack of effort people are willing to put in for their salary or any type of reward, they defend the whankers that don't want to fucking work for their upkeep.
    You say it has nothing to do with elitism, yet your post is full of nothing but it. As long as the "insane" difficulty level exists for you, what do you care what the easiest level is, or whether someone can skip a boss. Make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Here's a little thought experiment for you.

Cuphead comes out and is advertised from its inception as a throwback to the challenging platformers of yore. It sells very well.

A Cuphead sequel is made and in all respects it is equal in quality to the original but due to pressure from video game journalists has added the fabled skip boss option. It sells better than the first.

So is the lesson here that the boss skip button lead to more sells or just that the popularity of Cuphead carried itself ever higher? And your logic says I should miss out on a good sequel because of something you could never prove?
    Cuphead is a bossrush game tho.

It would literally be "skip the game" button.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    You perfectly explained what I was trying to say. Thank you.
    I have friends that can't beat certain stuff on easy and they stopped playing certain games because there was an annoying part they could not get past.
    For them, a skip button would've been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    You could watch it on youtube and save $60.
    There are so many horrendous and short games with high price tags, but with semi compelling stories, that I do just that.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    And they are free to buy those games. They exist.
    Why do all games have to be like that?
    Why not? You can play combat sections if you want.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    So now its is elitist ideology to expect somone to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I can already see this “pay to skip” button behind a paywall… people paying 60$ to play a video game just to pay even more not to play it ~ my god what a time to be alive!
    I fully support exploiting suckers with this if it means we get rid of microtransactions.
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2017-10-12 at 04:28 PM.