Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I would think the statement that FEMA can't stay in Puerto Rico forever would be self-evident and not controversial... but then, Trump's public critics are anything but sane.
    Ah funny enough Trump never said this about Texas or Florida places that voted for him. If it is so evident why didn't he say this to Texas and Florida. Though of course he didn't have his fweeings hurt by the big mean old mayor who's constituents are without basic necessities and is pleading for help. Oh wait I forgot they are brown so to Trump and his supporters fuck em they are probably all illegals anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Has anyone reminded him that they're still Americans?
    That would ask us to believe Trump has half a brain cell and we all know the answer to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    What makes it seem "bizarre" to you?
    The timing.

It's something you'd highlight when a process becomes protracted, not just as it's beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    The timing.

It's something you'd highlight when a process becomes protracted, not just as it's beginning.
    Trump has already complained about the costs incurred by PR and shit all over the countries economy (which was in a rough spot, absolutely) within days of the hurricane.

Why do you think there is any thought or strategy behind his comments? It's been painfully obvious that he just says shit without thinking, and reacts with unplanned, uncoordinated hot-takes that often leave the White House scrambling to explain why he just contradicted what his VP or Secretary of State said hours/minutes before/after, unable to explain/defend his comments at all, or as with Sanders the other day - adding so many qualifiers and extra words onto his comments in order to make it accurate that it's hilarious.

This isn't "bizarre", this is Thursday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    "I know your house fire is only 30% contained, but us firefighters can't stay here forever!"
    Poor analogy. The "fire" that hit PR is long gone. They're rebuilding and restoring now... which firefighters don't do. Nice try though (not really though).

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Has anyone reminded him that they're still Americans?
    Best not to remind him of that or his next executive order might be to remove them from the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    The timing.

Sounds like you've never had a real boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea what you're trying to even suggest here.

10+ Year Old Account
    If "real" bosses act like Trump, I'm glad mine have been fake.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Poor analogy. The "fire" that hit PR is long gone. They're rebuilding and restoring now... which firefighters don't do. Nice try though (not really though).
    The “fire” is the emergency being managed. They are the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
    The emergency is not yet managed.

Not surprising a flat-earther like you can’t understand.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

As much as I would like to blame the entire PR ordeal on Trump, I cannot. He's at fault for a mediocre response, and taking his sweet ass time with the Jones Act waiver. He's also responsible for his shitty photo op, and getting into a pissing match with someone. But, he's not responsible for the slow response inside PR itself. From the description of multiple people on the ground, trying to get aid to where it's needed is a lot like dealing with the Afghani and Iraqi governments from 2002-2010. Nobody in the local government seems to want to move a muscle, unless they can somehow benefit from it. I had a couple former co-workers head down there to help out (they were born and raised there), and they were fucking irate... to put it mildly. They said local mayors and even the police force were not only sitting on their asses, but actively slowing down help to some areas. I've had to deal with people like that in the past, and it's the standard behavior of a third-world asshole who is looking for a bribe.

I would think the statement that FEMA can't stay in Puerto Rico forever would be self-evident and not controversial... but then, Trump's public critics are anything but sane.
    The curious thing is that he refer specifically to PR. He made no mention of TX and FL.

10+ Year Old Account
    FEMA is already pushing back.

FEMA: We'll leave Puerto Rico when it's "stabilized"

From CNN's Rene Marsh

A FEMA official tells CNN the organization has no deadline for withdrawing from Puerto Rico.

“We have no hard deadline on pulling out of Puerto Rico. It all will be determined by the conditions on the ground," the official said.

The official said once things are “stabilized” in Puerto Rico, FEMA will “pull back resources as appropriate,” adding that’s the “natural progression of a response to a disaster.“

When asked about the president’s tweet this morning, the official said: “I can’t speak for the President…while no recovery lasts forever, our focus is the response and we will continue to support the response. There’s no indication of any immediate change until the situation is stabilized on the ground.”

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think the statement that FEMA can't stay in Puerto Rico forever would be self-evident and not controversial...
    It's the way Trump says things that causes all this controversy, and the actions he takes. Quite frankly he is awful at PR.

Tossing paper towels into the crowd like he's at a basketball game. Trump is the gift that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    It's the way Trump says things that causes all this controversy, and the actions he takes. Quite frankly he is awful at PR.

Tossing paper towels into the crowd like he's at a basketball game. Trump is the gift that keeps on giving.
    That's because he hasn't ramped up his PR game yet.

He'll be back to calling up reporters, pretending to be his own publicist and thinking he's totally fooling reporters who will in no way recognize his voice and style of speech.

But you just wait, once he ramps that up there are going to be some yugely positive stories coming out. Bigly yougly positive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    In addition to being intentionally ill-informed. We've seen recently how he suggested the stock market going up, means that the national debt is going down.

Well, he also said that Puerto Rico's debt was an obstacle. First of all, I have no idea why it's an obstacle. More importantly, the combined state debts of TX, LA, and FL dwarf Puerto Rico's by at least one North Carolina. And I didn't hear word one of debt being a problem in any of those states.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    In addition to being intentionally ill-informed. We've seen recently how he suggested the stock market going up, means that the national debt is going down.

Well, he also said that Puerto Rico's debt was an obstacle. First of all, I have no idea why it's an obstacle. More importantly, the combined state debts of TX, LA, and FL dwarf Puerto Rico's by at least one North Carolina. And I didn't hear word one of debt being a problem in any of those states.
    Ah I think I found the problem. Those three states all so happened to vote Trump while Puerto Rico didn't so to Trump they are non existent. Also they happen to be predominantly brown and to Trump if you are brown skinned you must be illegal so they don't matter. In fact why isn't Trump's main man Arpaio over there arresting the whole damn state.

10+ Year Old Account
    "What He Meant Was" featuring guest host, John Kelly.

White House chief of staff John Kelly told reporters Thursday that the government will be in Puerto Rico aiding with recovery efforts "until the job is done," just hours after President Trump tweeted that the U.S. military and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) can’t stay in the hurricane-ravaged territory “forever.”

“We will stand with those American citizens in Puerto Rico until the job is done,” Kelly said at a White House press briefing.

Trump ignited controversy with the morning tweets saying emergency personnel can't stay in Puerto Rico “forever.”

The island territory is still recovering from two devastating hurricanes and many residents remain without power, clean water or food. Critics have accused Trump of not caring about the plight of Puerto Ricans and of paying less attention to their struggles than to the struggles of those hit by hurricanes in the Gulf region last month.

Kelly said Trump believes Puerto Ricans are U.S citizens and he parsed the president’s tweet, saying it was accurate — that the military and first responders are tasked with completing the recovery and getting out.

“I think he said the U.S. military and FEMA can't be there forever. First responders. The minute you go anywhere as a first responder, and this applies certainly to military, you're trying and working very hard to work yourself out of a job,” Kelly said.

“There will be a period in which we hope, sooner rather than later, to which the U.S. military and FEMA generally speaking can withdraw because then the government and the people of Puerto Rico are recovering sufficiently and starting the process of rebuilding,” he said.

“I just got off of the phone with the governor of Puerto Rico. A great relationship. The president deals with him periodically. We saw him when we were down there last week. … But the tweet about FEMA and DOD — the military — is exactly accurate," Kelly said. "They will not be there forever, and the whole point is to start to work yourself out of a job and transition to the rebuilding process.”

Sure thing mr. flat earther. We're the insane ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    "What He Meant Was" featuring guest host, John Kelly.
    Aww, they had get his babysitter to speak for him.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

https://twitter.com/jesselehrich/sta...60294565236736

69 votes against Puerto Rico from Republicans.
    3 against Texas from Republicans.