Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    So they have plans to sell across state lines, the concern that those that are in poor health conditions will suffer worries me but then I remember that insurance companies are prolly against it because they will loose their precious monopolies.
    in what world do you live in that you think insurance companies don't already sell across state lines?
    Can you only buy Aetna insurance in Connecticut? BCBS in California?

What do you think this changes?

Do you know that you are still not going to be able to buy a cheap policy from Iowa to cover your ass in NJ???

Any insurance company can compete in any state they want to, guess what....they don't want to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Looking like he's doing something and trying to cause more chaos to the market. Even if a judge puts a hold on it, and they will, adding more chaos to the market will make more providers pull out, raise prices, etc.

Instead of coming up with a good healthcare bill, he just wants to destablize the market enough to where the GOP bill is more palatable of a change. The EO doesn't need to stand for that to work.
    the best part is once the market is destabilized the insurance companies will offset these losses by charging the Non-Obamacare members even more money, so if you get your insurance through your employer expect your increases to skyrocket to make up for the losses trump caused.

MAGA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It is, of course, possible to set up a new plan that covers more than one state or employer. They do not charge people based on the cheapest. That's just mythology.
    This was sort of my assumption. Balancing the risk pool across states would obviously mean that the people who would've had cheaper insurance will end up paying more. People in the low-cost, more rural *cough* Trump *cough* states would be the losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Wouldn't it also mean Texans having to travel to Georgia for providers in the Georgia network? Or is that not how it works?

it does mean that, you can't expect to buy a policy in Iowa and use it in NJ. the insurance company would first have to have a network in NJ for you to even access.

Second they will rate you based on your location, not even at the state level but at the county and city level.

if you are part of a group plan, the actuaries look at the entire population of membership and their physical locations and the cost of healthcare for that population of membership. If you have 90% of your people in Iowa and 10% in NJ this group plan will pay way more to offset the cost of that 10% they need to cover in NJ then if they were 100% from Iowa.

Nothing in this law FORCES them to sell insurance across state lines, that is the part people are leaving out.

This changes nothing. Its always been a red herring

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    You'll have to forgive the Democrats for taking a Republican healthcare plan from the 90's (and a sizable amount of political capital) and expecting Republicans to buy in. ACA didn't even have a public option- the Dems started by meeting the GoP halfway, and the final bill had plenty of Republican amendments in it- ultimately it was the GoP that decided to stop participating for political reasons (starting in about September of 2009 iirc).

The mandate is a big part of what makes the ACA function...how do you fix an insurance-based healthcare plan by shrinking the pool?

It's also how other developed nations with private insurance markets make it work.

It was also, like much of the ACA, a conservative idea from the Heritage Foundation. Every time conservatives complain about how "far left" the Democratic party has gone, I just point to healthcare, where the GoP has careened farther and farther to the right for decades.
    Sorry, I'm opposed to anything that commands me to do X. That's a form of extortion in and of itself. I will decide when, or if I need to buy Health Insurance. Not the Government. Much like some left groups do, I suppose you could say I'm fully going to #Resist in that sense. Because it's such a morally repugnant over-reach by the Government, it's a major reason I have never complied with the Healthcare law by citing Hardship, and I will continue to do so.

There are plenty of elegant solutions to Health-Care. Car Insurance mandated makes sense. It's a privilege to Drive. Health Care mandated for people with limited means does not. It is not a "privilege" to live. There were many better ways, and those ways probably could of been figured out in a bi-partisan debate. Alas, Pelosi and Reid opted to ram a crap law through before they were punished for it by voters, and then Obama rubber stamped it.

Meanwhile over a few dozen countries have better healthcare systems. This isn't a mystery. We already know what works better than the ACA and it isn't what conservatives want to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Meanwhile over a few dozen countries have better healthcare systems. This isn't a mystery. We already know what works better than the ACA and it isn't what conservatives want to do.
    I have to laugh at all the young internet conservatives lately. "I'm conservative, but I want in single payer!". They have no plan on how this will happen. They're just repeating what they heard on Dave Rubin lately. He never has details on how this happens either.

Yet they spend all their time on forums and youtube bashing Democrats. The only party that actually has plans for single payer or universal coverage.

They're so in the grip of political nihilism they can't really grasp on how to deal with something that really threatens them, healthcare costs. Instead they just lash out at pretend threats like liberals and antifa. Because it comforts them. Like opioid addicts running away from their problems.

Its opioid politics for the opioid generation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Sorry, I'm opposed to anything that commands me to do X. That's a form of extortion in and of itself. I will decide when, or if I need to buy Health Insurance. Not the Government. Much like some left groups do, I suppose you could say I'm fully going to #Resist in that sense. Because it's such a morally repugnant over-reach by the Government, it's a major reason I have never complied with the Healthcare law by citing Hardship, and I will continue to do so.
    That's fine. You can object to it all you want. My point was that it's mighty hard to "fix" the ACA by cutting out the major provision that helps balance costs.

There are plenty of elegant solutions to Health-Care. Car Insurance mandated makes sense. It's a privilege to Drive. Health Care mandated for people with limited means does not. It is not a "privilege" to live. There were many better ways, and those ways probably could of been figured out in a bi-partisan debate. Alas, Pelosi and Reid opted to ram a crap law through before they were punished for it by voters, and then Obama rubber stamped it.
    The GoP got to put in tons of amendments. The basis for the plan was originally a GoP plan. The Republicans were thrown plenty of bones, and they still decided to get up from the table for purely political reasons. What were Democrats supposed to do once the GoP made it clear that they wren't going to participate anymore? Put a complete stop on their top legislative priority? Cave into every demand and push through a (more) conservative legislation, despite being the recent election winners?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Link here

Basically after multiple failed attempts at healthcare reform, Trump is looking to use an EO to cut the legs out from under the ACA in an attempt to make Republican healthcare plans more palatable, at the cost of lives and money from those who are on it already.

I'm full well expecting a federal court to put a hold on this immediately.
    If Obama had done this you would say, this is great! ACA is failing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    This is some serious projecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Can't comment for Bullettime, but I personally would consider that a lie chalked up to Obama

Better to look at the policies and not the politicians when you are looking at the policies effectiveness. And factually, the ACA has helped. And is superior to what preceded it overall.

If Obama tried to claim it was failing, I would believe it about as much as when he started bragging about pulling out troopers even though he had no desire to do so but Bush Jr had signed a withdraw order that forced him too that they refused to extend.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

ACA is failing.
    Failing or failed? Or is it still in the superstate where it's both already failed and in the process of failing?

It's so terribly confusing to know which state it's in at any given moment : /

10+ Year Old Account
    so what does this mean for people on medicaid?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

meanwhile you are already told you have to do X Y Z Z Z Z

Told you have to pay for medicare
    told you have to pay for social security
    told you have to pay for public education

Have you ever refused to pay for that healthcare called medicare???

So you don't like being forced to wear a seatbelt? Get car insurance to drive on public roads? Because those have been mandated for literally decades.

- - - Updated - - -

The only reason it is failing, is because the Republicans and Trump are doing everything in their power to make it fail. It isn't failing on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    This is some serious projecting.
    That is all these Trumpkins have is projection and "whataboutisms"

- - - Updated - - -

Trump is the "yugest" piece of shit person. The man can't win so he wants to fuck everyone over. Hey Trumpkins instead of calling Liberals snowflakes and saying they need safe spaces you should go take care of the snowflake in chief because he would throw everyone of you under the bus for a safe space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully, the supreme court prevents it. ACA shouldn't be meddled with, even less so with something like an EO. That's disgusting.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    Nothing will happen to medicaid under this EO, Trump thinks he has the vote though to do block grants next to get rid of the medicare expansion. It seems the plan is to dismantle the ACA piece by piece, so more like just repeal no replace.

10+ Year Old Account
    25th Amendment Case 1106

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Do I even need to point out the frothing conservatives about Obama legislating through EOs?

No? Have we just given up on caring about their blatant hypocrisy?
    So . . . Donald Trump continued to sit and talk and joke during the bugle call "Retreat" today. He then claimed the bugles were "for him or for Sean Hannity." This, being mere hours after yet another post about the NFL disrespecting the country and the flag.

So . . .

It's not that they've given up, it's that they never cared in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    What a tyrant! How dare he subvert the will of the people by legislating by EO! He's probably not even a citizen. Born in Kenya maybe? And Melania is really a man. Rabble rabble and so on.
    More like, Manlania, amirite?
    Putin khuliyo

Sorry, I'm opposed to anything that commands me to do X. That's a form of extortion in and of itself. I will decide when, or if I need to buy Health Insurance. Not the Government.
    OK, fine.

If that's the system you want, put your energy towards lobbying the government and health providers to be forced to dump anyone without proof of insurance out on the sidewalk to die.

Because right now, everyone has the right to emergency medical treatment. If you're going to provide that, you need everyone to pay for it.

Good luck!
    (P.S. It won't work because enough of us are human beings.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    This EO doesn't affect Medicaid specifically.
    That gutting is now going to be part of the tax plan, apparently.

As Trump loves to say: "Stay tuned!"
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.