Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    You say it has nothing to do with elitism, yet your post is full of nothing but it. As long as the "insane" difficulty level exists for you, what do you care what the easiest level is, or whether someone can skip a boss. Make sense.
    No it's not, I usually play on normal. Stop reading into things that aren't there.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    I disapprove of it on principle but it is actually really good news for the rest of us who actually enjoy playing video games. Hopefully the industry can stop dumbing down things for normies since they'll have a tourist mode and focus on satisfying and entertaining gameplay like they used to.

Most you'd have would be some indie Cuphead and it's ilk, and not very many AAA titles.
    >implying this is a bad thing
    Last edited by Hyral; 2017-10-12 at 05:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    So now its is elitist ideology to expect somone to play the game.
    You forgot "the way I want them to play it" from your comment that I quoted there. So yeah, it is an elitist mentality to expect someone to play the game the way you want them to play it, and if they can't or don't want to, then they don't deserve to play it at all.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-10-12 at 05:36 PM.

If a boss fight is skippable surely a better question is why does it need to be there in the first place. Has it just been tacked on because a focus group as told them that games should have boss fights? If people don't like boss fights it's possible to make games that don't have them. Or to make boss fights that people who enjoy the rest of the game will enjoy. Or boss fights that are tuned in line with the rest of the game, if relative difficulty to non-boss encounters is the problem here. Unless it's a truly optional boss, that players can seek out if they wish, but otherwise completely bypass through proper in game means.

Deleted
    Such an option would have exactly the same relevance as any other game options in a panel, to me.
    I see options as a boon to the individual as they serve the purpose of customizing how they want to experience the game, and as the only way options can have any effect on someone enjoyment of the game is if the someone voluntarily uses them. So as far as I'm concerned their presence or absence is absolutely irrelevant in terms of game enjoyment for me as I'm 100% not caring how other people like to play the game.

I don't use Ironman modes: their presence on the option panel and if people uses them or not, has no bearing on my enjoyment of the game
    I wouldn't use skippable boss fight mode: hence its presence on the option panel and if people will use them or not, will have no bearing on my enjoyment of the game.
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2017-10-12 at 05:57 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    When watching a movie. Okay to skip parts you dont like.
    When reading a book. Okay to skip parts you dont like.
    When listening to a song/album. Okay to skip parts you dont like.
    But when playing a video game you are literally Hitler for wanting the option of skipping parts you dont like. God curse you forever for not wanting to fully experience the devs vision and storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Besides that, in D&D you get Exp for an encounter even if you can skip a fight due to clever use of your skills (like mass-invisibility on your group and good stealth rolls). You pass on possible loot in this case, but you can move forward and get credit for solving the problem in this way.
    These are the kinds of things I'd like to see more of in games in general. Not only do they provide a way for the player to skip unwanted combat, but they do it in a way which doesn't break the flow of the game and the player feels clever for using the in game mechanics to avoid dealing with an in game problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    -edit- Telltales aren't games. They lack their own definition, but they're more like interactive novels than games.
    That kind of interactive experience sells, and the market for them only seems to be growing further. The players of these "games" however do like to branch out from time to time and will want something that's suitable for their skill level. That might not be games like Dark Souls and games which offer tightly tuned combat, but might instead be some of the easier games to get comfortable with like RPG's which do contain lots of elements they'd already be somewhat familiar with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    But when playing a video game you are literally Hitler for wanting the option of skipping parts you dont like. God curse you forever for not wanting to fully experience the devs vision and storytelling.
    When you play monopoly, you start with all the hotels?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    -edit- Telltales aren't games. They lack their own definition, but they're more like interactive novels than games.
    They are games for all intents and purposes, they don't need their own definition. They are quests, if you old enough you should know what quest games are. You may know them as graphic adventure games. You may have even played King's Quest (the modern version).
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    When you play monopoly, you start with all the hotels?
    You've never had any house rules for any board games or card games, or even PC games, ever, in your entire life? So what if people change the rules and play the game differently? So what if someone playing a single player game uses IDDQD or IDKFA. How is that any problem of yours?

Oh yeah, for the younger audience here, who were still playing on a sandbox a couple decades ago, there were these things called "cheat codes" in almost every single game back then. This isn't exactly a new idea.

Deleted
    Oh yeah, for the younger audience here, who were still playing on a sandbox a couple decades ago, there were these things called "cheat codes" in almost every single game back then. This isn't exactly a new idea.
    Have you read the thread? I defended cheat codes instead of a "skip bosses" button.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Have you read the thread? I defended cheat codes instead of a "skip bosses" button.
    Just because I quoted you and replied to you doesn't mean my entire post was aimed at you. The latter part wasn't, which should be clear from me addressing the younger audience on these forums. Also, cheat codes and a skip boss button have no difference whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Cuphead is a bossrush game tho.

It would literally be "skip the game" button.
    Its already here. The skip game button is "remove from shopping cart" one.

A more apt comparison would be acting in a movie but not wanting to do a scene you don't like, seeing as how there is a huge difference between actively participating in something (like playing a video game, performing a role in a film, doing a musical performance, writing a book) and passively participating (watching someone else play the game, watching the movie, reading the book, listening to the music).

Games are defined by gameplay. There is no parallel to gameplay in those other mediums unless you are the one creating them.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I approach video games as just another story to be experienced. There is no deeper meaning. I dont owe the devs anything. They have my money and they are not entitled to anythign beyond that. When something stops entertaining me, i walk away from it. I rarely finish games because of this. If there was an option for skipping parts that i dont find entertaining i would likely stick around and experience more of said game.

So from my perspective, comparing games to books/movies etc is legitimate. I care nothing for being challenged by pixels. Outside of MMOs, im only there for a brief story experience and then i move on. I dont have to worry about cancerous quicktime events or boring play mechanics in my favorite books.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2017-10-12 at 07:01 PM.

I approach video games as just another story to be experienced. There is no deeper meaning. When something stops entertaining me, i walk away from it. I rarely finish games because of this. If there was an option for skipping parts that i dont find entertaining i would likely stick around and experience more of said game.

So from my perspective, comparing games to books/movies etc is legitimate. I care nothing for being challenged by pixels. Outside of MMOs, im only there for a brief story experience and then i move on. I dont have to worry about cancerous quicktime events or boring play mechanics in my favorite books.
    And people like you dare to call gamers elitist?

Ha fucking ha.

At this point just watch a lets-play, you can watch the game at your own pace, skip whatever you want in the game and save yourself a lot of money.

If you're playing a video game and ever want a skip boss button, you need a new hobby. Normies gtfo.
    Imma buy some skis, winter gear, goggles, and a lift pass, then sit somewhere on the mountain bitching about how hard skiing is and how they should implement a skip downhill button.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I am pro (easy mode for Dark Souls).

So tell me how would you make Dark Souls more playable for everyone without messing with the difficulty?

- - - Updated - - -

So playing a game in a way they like to play it makes them morons??????
    dark souls actually has death as an important part of the story

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    If you're playing a video game and ever want a skip boss button, you need a new hobby. Normies gtfo.
    Imma buy some skis, winter gear, goggles, and a lift pass, then sit somewhere on the mountain bitching about how hard skiing is and how they should implement a skip downhill button.
    Ski hills actually already have that. Congratulations on showing how it already exists outside of gaming.