Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-scout-n809836

How do you feel about this?

Personally I don't care. I would hope they don't lower their standards though.
    What are you even talking about, I didn't realise there was a standard to get into the boy scouts. Are there any other issues that you want to make bullshit statements about that you don't care about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The boys only aspect, which isn't a trivial thing.

The Girl Scouts could expand their horizons or get with the times too, but no one is apparently pushing for that hard enough so instead, the Boy Scouts now have to change. So girls still have their all female activity option, where boys no longer have the same. It's not a fair change IMO when there are already Boy Scout Programs (Venturing, Sea Scouts, Exploring and High Adventure) that already allow and encourage girls to join.

I'm not opposed to girls being able to have the same options as the boys, but I don't agree with them co-mingling within the same packs and dens right alongside the boys. I would also advocate for an equivalent and equally prestigious award for women as opposed to Eagle Scout. Granted, my argument is based on tradition so it's not going to stand up to the "why shouldn't it change" argument because I have no logic beside that it has always been an award for men and has therefore come to be somewhat of a social expectation that Eagle Scout = upstanding, driven, "good old boy" type thing.

I'm all for equality, but that doesn't mean the same. You can be separate but equal.
    The BSA doesn't have to change, they are choosing to change. Honestly, I think what may go over the best, is that it will be more family-inclusive. As a parent with sons and a daughter, I'm stretched pretty thin when it comes to my volunteer time. This may actually make it easier to for parents to be involved in these activities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    I have been a parent of a Boy Scout for the past 3 years and if people learn or do research about Scouts, America and the Middle East are the only countries that keep the genders separated. Scouting is a Global community and all other countries but the US are both inclusive.

I was apprehensive about this at first as well, but after doing the research and listening to the Scout masters who have been doing it for years, I say it is an alright move. All the scout meetings my son has been to through Cub scouts had both boys and girls who did the projects together. Hell my sons current Scout Master IS a woman......

If the entire world has an inclusive Scouting experience, why keep it separated for the US?
    This is what people are saying and presumably deliberately ignoring for faux outrage - I originally was ignorant but 5min Google fixed that... Unfortunately people are just ignoring facts now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    This is what people are saying and presumably deliberately ignoring for faux outrage - I originally was ignorant but 5min Google fixed that... Unfortunately people are just ignoring facts now
    There have been like one or two people who complained about this in the thread.

The only outrage here are people triggered by my mention of standards... And the Girl Scouts of course, who are complaining that the Boy Scouts are trying to destroy them with this move.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Personally I don't care. I would hope they don't lower their standards though.
    This is my stance on it as well. As long as they don't lower standards I don't give a flying fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not just raise the bar for the Girl Scouts instead of lowering the bar for the Boy Scouts. Or furthering that, just merge both together and have all the curriculum of both Girl and Boy Scouts and let Boys or Girls choose what parts they want to do.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2017-10-12 at 04:22 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    But isn't there a Girl Scouts already?

What does this even accomplish?
    Read the article maybe? Craziness, I know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    merge girl scouts and boy scouts and just called them Scouts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Putin-Chan View Post
    If they're going to allow girls to the boy scouts, why not just call it youth scouts and combine it with the girl scouts.
    The Girl Scouts are NOT happy with this move - and a merger is more than likely not in the mix. Plus, their systems are completely different - it would be like merging McDonalds and Cheesecake Factory (not assigning quality to either Scout in this analogy, just going for the merger point).

Deleted
    Honestly, who cares?

Yes, it's stupid but we live in stupid times. Plus, boyscouts have been out of fashion since the times of Teddy Roosevelt.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    No one is ignoring facts. It's been this way in the US for over 100 years so it's not going to be an immediately or unanimously accepted change. I have also not seen anyone "outraged" about the change, just people not 100% on board with it and have some concerns and complaints about it...which will be a completely expected and normal thing for ANY change.

Are people not allowed to voice their concerns and complaints about a change anymore? Are people supposed to just blindly accept a change to a tradition that's been in place for over 100 years?

It's true, the change will likely be a positive thing for the girls and their families, but it is still a change and people who have been/ were raised under the old paradigm will take some time to adjust. There will be growing pains. That's normal and IMO a good thing because it means people care.

Just to say though, everyone doesn't have to do things the same way. What works in one country and culture will not necessarily work in another country and culture so that line of thinking is a little flawed. Not saying it won't work, just saying there's not a one size fits all solution to many (if any) problems/issues/ situations, this one included.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    No one is ignoring facts.
    I understand your overall point, so I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, but I wanted to chime in here. People are ignoring facts. There are legitimate concerns regarding tradition etc but a lot of the people who are upset don't actually understand the change. For example, a lot of people in this very thread are assuming that Scout activities are now co-ed when in fact the organization has said boys and girls will be split into separate groups called "dens" that are single-gender.

There are also a lot of people who seem to misunderstand how the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts actually work. So while I'm not directing this at you, I think it's absolutely true that there is a lot of ignorance and faux outrage surrounding this announcement. Many concerns would be addressed if people could be bothered to read to the fourth sentence of the article, at the very least.

will give a new meaning to the "webelo" scouts

HAHAHA

Seems like we're in the day and age where men and boys cannot have any form of group for themselves without women trying to force it to be inclusive of women. Is there a point where men cannot enjoy anything to themselves? whether or not your heart is in the right place, it feels redundant.
    [Insert Infraction Here]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Girls are a vulnerable group, they can have their club. Men do not need anymore "boys only" clubs, considering they already have all the highest paying jobs, political power, etc. to perform that function.
    I wish women stopped victimizing themselves so they wouldn't feel a need to tear the world down in their insecurity.

Deleted
    Might as well just merge Boys and Girls Scouts and just call it Scouts then, surely?

Some of the women who bring their boys to out Scout meetings also have daughters in the Girl Scouts or know others who have daughters in the Girl Scouts.

Their main complaint about the Girl Scouts, is that they do not do as much adventuring or rugged stuff that the Boy Scouts do and that some of the girls want that kind of challenge, not just selling cookies. That I totally get since if you look at all the Girl Scout slogans like AcomplisHER and others the Girl Scouts want to have some egree of empowerment in their ranks.

I personally do not have a daughter and the above is only what I am told by other mothers and fathers, but if the girls want the same adventuring as the Boy Scouts, I say I am all for it.

Hell, I have even been on camping trips already where it was co-ed(mothers with sons) and everything worked out fine. and the Scouts already teach Co-Ed rules and regs for all Adults Leaders and parents of Scouts so there is nothing really new to this but I do understand reservations by others who think that this may hurt Boy Scouting.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Honestly, who cares?

Yes, it's stupid but we live in stupid times. Plus, boyscouts have been out of fashion since the times of Teddy Roosevelt.
    Honestly, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Congrats?

Boyscouts are modernizing their social profile and offer a litany of benefits to those kids that join. It would be awesome if you tried learning new things instead of spouting tired old sayings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Might as well just merge Boys and Girls Scouts and just call it Scouts then, surely?
    Tough merger - their systems are really not at all compatible. From leadership to rewards to activities to ranks and progression, nothing would fit together well. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if they did. I just don't see it happening any time soon - plus, the GS are pissed.

[QUOTE=cubby;47573344]Read the article maybe? Craziness, I know.

- - - Updated - - -

The Girl Scouts are NOT happy with this move - and a merger is more than likely not in the mix. Plus, their systems are completely different - it would be like merging McDonalds and Cheesecake Factory (not assigning quality to either Scout in this analogy, just going for the merger point).[/QUOT]

make the move stupid though... its BOY scouts .. if there are so different girls dont want to join girl scouts fix that... just silliness to me. but i have no direct involvement so meh.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    I understand your overall point, so I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, but I wanted to chime in here. People are ignoring facts. There are legitimate concerns regarding tradition etc but a lot of the people who are upset don't actually understand the change. For example, a lot of people in this very thread are assuming that Scout activities are now co-ed when in fact the organization has said boys and girls will be split into separate groups called "dens" that are single-gender.

There are also a lot of people who seem to misunderstand how the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts actually work. So while I'm not directing this at you, I think it's absolutely true that there is a lot of ignorance and faux outrage surrounding this announcement. Many concerns would be addressed if people could be bothered to read to the fourth sentence of the article, at the very least.
    Thank you

I can excuse ignorance but not when numerous people have explained it very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post

Fair points. I stated my point incorrectly. I was just trying to convey that I think the overall outrage is coming from the change itself rather than any details involved and that I think it's fair, normal and expected that people be a little upset or concerned about the change. If people are upset or specifically complaining about details that flat our aren't true, that's a different story but I haven't seen that (but I admittedly have not read many comments here, so ...yeah).

My son is in scouts now so I already know much of how the organization already works, and therefore cared enough to read enough to figure out exactly how this could change or affect my sons scouting experience. I'm have my questions and concerns, and am second guessing the leadership like anyone would when they don't have the information but I'm not entirely opposed to the change, I'm just anxious about what this means for my sons pack and how the dens will end up working out.

That said, your point about the dens, while valid doesn't mean much considering how the system is organized. The way the Cub Scout program is organized is there's an overarching Pack which does all of the big activities together: camping trips, hikes, Pinewood Derby, Raingutter Regatta, etc... That pack is separated into dens based on age mostly. Tiger, Wolf, Bear and Webelos (which can further be separated into Webelos and Arrow of Light). These dens meet separately on a weekly basis and do activities together based on the requirements for that rank. You can have multiple packs of the same rank if the numbers warrant it. So the caveat that the girls who join are being place separate den is an incredibly small one considering all of the big events are done as a pack which mixes everyone anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    As many have already pointed out, the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are entirely different organizations. They're not two sides of the same coin. Not saying you're one of these people, but many believe that simply because they share the term "Scout" that it's the same organization, which is not at all true.

Will the Girl Scouts admit boys?