Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    What is a programmer's life like?
    This is not my dreams
    My advice is to stop seeing your career life as programming. Figure out what domain you are most enthusiastic about, then only view programming as a tool for problem solving.

Personally I could never be enthusiastic if the topic is front-end web or game programming. As far as software I think back-end scaling, data science, AI, energy and materials simulation are more interesting directions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a typical job to me. So all I can say is get used to it because you'll be doing the same things over and over for the next 40 or so years or until you find another job. It sucks, yes, but if you want to keep that roof over your head you're going to have to keep doing it. Such is life. Be thankful you have a job like you do. Other people are not as fortunate as you and are stuck in a grocery store scanning barcodes and putting up with people's bullshit all day everyday.

Also your fantasies are a bit concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcbenchpress View Post
    Do you need help?
    When in the fuck did i make the quote for your sig

You don't need to idolize mass murderers, there are plenty of good people who check out and do what they love every day.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

This is not my dreams

I know there are a lot of programmers that post on these forums. Is that what life is like for you? How do you cope?

You know I fantasize about people like the Las Vegas shooter, Ted Kaczynski or the hikkomokori, who can just say I don't want to part of the system. I don't want to be part of this system anymore.
    News flash. Virtually no one exits college and instantly starts their dream job, working dream hours, making dream pay. It's why it's called a "dream". Was I thrilled back during Gulf War 1 to work 7 days on, 2 days off, 12 hour days? No! But I kept my head down and elbows up and worked til I got to my dream place.

We all get into ruts that suck. It shouldn't last forever. Keep your debt low so you can be mobile when the time comes. It's all pretty basic stuff, that I'm sure your parents explained to you.

Deleted
    Tipped the FBI. Enjoy.

As also x-posted on Quora:
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-prog...z-1?srid=ugThS

The never-ending circle.

Wake up at 6 am or 5:30
    Drinking one glasses water
    Brush teeth
    Go to work
    Breakfast
    Working…
    Coffee break! Walking break!
    Working…
    Launch 12 am
    Working…
    Working…
    Go to home
    Launch dinner
    Coffee and walking!
    Reading book (it must be!) or reading internet article
    Shower and Brush teeth
    Sleep 12 am or 1 am

and circle is continuous…
    Found whats wrong.

No WoW in there.

Edit: OP got banned so i guess he can take shit posting in mmo-c off
    Last edited by dvaz; 2017-10-13 at 08:42 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    News flash. Virtually no one exits college and instantly starts their dream job
    I've quit uni early to start my dream career.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Going to college sounds like a great idea until you're 40, your body is starting to shut down, and you come face to face with the horrifying realization that you are going to die some day.

That your youth is behind you and you spent it in front of books, hoping for riches and living lavish.

But all you get is a failing body and massive debt.

Funny how we all kill time until we die.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Going to college sounds like a great idea until you're 40, your body is starting to shut down, and you come face to face with the horrifying realization that you are going to die some day.

That your youth is behind you and you spent it in front of books, hoping for riches and living lavish.

But all you get is a failing body and massive debt.

Funny how we all kill time until we die.
    It's only your fault if you have been eating donuts and soda which has caused your body to start to shut down at 40 and you were not smart enough to not have any debts at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It's only your fault if you have been eating donuts and soda which has caused your body to start to shut down at 40 and you were not smart enough to not have any debts at that age.
    lol, if you don't start to feel aches and pains that come with aging, then that's glorious. I was also convinced that because I didn't eat garbage I would live forever.

Then i came to touch with reality and accepted that I was probably going to die at 70, or shortly after. I certainly hope so at least.

Deleted
    It seems you are suffering from stress. You know, you could always say screw it, sell your things and move to the country. Become a farmer. It's not actually bad, it's hard work yes, but it's stress free and it's actually the kind of work we were meant to be doing. You will survive. You may not become rich and famous but lets be honest, most likely none of us will become one, so what?

As also x-posted on Quora:
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-prog...z-1?srid=ugThS

The never-ending circle.

Wake up at 6 am or 5:30
    Drinking one glasses water
    Brush teeth
    Go to work
    Breakfast
    Working…
    Working…
    Launch 12 am
    Working…
    Working…
    Go to home
    Launch dinner
    Coffee and walking!
    Reading book (it must be!) or reading internet article
    Shower and Brush teeth
    Sleep 12 am or 1 am

and circle is continuous…

This is not my dreams

I know there are a lot of programmers that post on these forums. Is that what life is like for you? How do you cope?

You know I fantasize about people like the Las Vegas shooter, Ted Kaczynski or the hikkomokori, who can just say I don't want to part of the system. I don't want to be part of this system anymore.
    You sound like you either just stepped foot in the working world, or... I don't know, was genuinely fooled by the idea of life being all rosy and great. I'm not saying that to be mean, honestly, but I think everyone either has or eventually will hit this realisation.

Days can slip away very easily , if you let them. It's easy to come home, eat something, and then kind of do little to nothing, maybe surfing the net or disinterestedly watching some series. Vegging out, really. While that may seem relaxing, it's really unsatisfying, and it makes you feel as if you life is nothing but work. Because work is all you really did, that day.

On the days where I don't have anything else planned, I try to make sure I spend at least 1 hour, but frequently 2 or 3, learning something. It's often related to my work in a sense, in that I code and like to learn new frameworks, languages or technologies, but sometimes it's just topics I find interesting, like general futurism, philosophy, or just... reading a book (mostly fantasy or sci-fi).

The key thing to understand is that your life would not be different, on a general level, if you weren't a programmer. You would just spend your working time on something else. What it seems like, to me, is that you need to look at is organising your life, and trying to make what time you have available outside of work meaningful to you. And while I'm not your dad, I really think you should try to get closer to 8 hours of sleep than 5-6.

Your life doesn't have to be your regular 9-5, there are other paths. They all involve actually working, though, you won't get away from that. If you don't derive much meaning or satisfaction from your work, then you need to find it outside of work. You could also try to find work that does seem meaningful to you, but that may be difficult. I love being a developer, for example, but that doesn't mean I love every day at my job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by elegorn View Post
    It seems you are suffering from stress. You know, you could always say screw it, sell your things and move to the country. Become a farmer. It's not actually bad, it's hard work yes, but it's stress free and it's actually the kind of work we were meant to be doing. You will survive. You may not become rich and famous but lets be honest, most likely none of us will become one, so what?
    You have no clue about how it is to be a farmer and things you have to worry about. Stay at the office job. It's easier.

Quoting a farmer:
    “I tried being a full-time farmer; the stress was unbelievable!” she recalls. “We felt like hamsters on a wheel. I’m so happy to only do it half-time.”

In other words, half-time farmer still has a normal job.
    Last edited by mmocb8cf77a503; 2017-10-13 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    lol, if you don't start to feel aches and pains that come with aging, then that's glorious. I was also convinced that because I didn't eat garbage I would live forever.

Then i came to touch with reality and accepted that I was probably going to die at 70, or shortly after. I certainly hope so at least.
    Used to blame it on age, then saw a picture of myself dropped 80 pounds now I feel like my old self the only thing that comes with your 40s is that your metabolism slows down and you don't get a free ride anymore (I had to start running).

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Because it's against the law to have a negative thought?

My god, I think everyone on this forum would have had their doors kicked in at least once.

How's that high-horse workin out for ya? Do you feed it flakes of Gold & Silver?
    The feds jump at any possibility of threat after 9/11.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    You're clearly unwell as well.

There is nothing wrong with having negative thoughts but saying that you understand and even empathise with a terrorist and mentally ill person speaks volumes about your character and your own mental well-being.

In short, seek help. Please stay away from children.
    Beyond empathy, he considered if he should follow the same path.

I mean honestly people need to focus more on what makes them happy and not what other people want them to do.

How many kids go off to college thinking that it's the way to pleaes your parents or because they think it's expected of you in society.

Then there are those people we all make fun of who have dirty beards, smell like garlic, wear dreadlocks and are always coming back from some 7 day hike in the wild. We make fun of them and stereotype them, think they smell bad, are struck by their lack of manners etc... But in the back of my head, I can't help but feel envy. These people are living life. They go places that many would consider to be "uncomfortable" but ... the things they have seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quit your job and challenge yourself to travel the world without spending any money.

Since, i have a job that i really like. I actually enjoy that loop.

Deleted
    You went to university to study a programming language? L...O...L...
    Thats not how you do it boy.

6 years ago i learned as3 language (flash games) in intricate detail in half a year. Intricate detail means games with physics and so on, porting to mobile and everything.
    Half a year for free. I still recall my first 5k$ for 1 and 1/2 month of work (work at home, when in mood and when my dick wanted just how i like it). I was so happy. But since then i moved on as the flash market died.

No experience liberals and "hold my beer" guys can tell its an easy language, and perhaps to make a simple button game it is. But game with physics as per how objects break and so on, it is not.

I had no boss, i worked when my big beautiful cock wanted and so on.

PS: I want to add, that being a good drawer in that business is much more rewarding. I dont have the talent but i know people who win a shitton per month on the nsfw side . I think you guys might know them aswell, im looking at your liberals.

In conclusion i want to say, for jobs such as this, you can spit on universities, especially USA ones. Trust me when i say these guys suck you dry for absolutely nothing (in this particular case).
    Last edited by mmoc96b81ade63; 2017-10-13 at 04:41 PM.