Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Alright then. It's easier to see a difference between 416 and 418 than it is between 14513795 and 14597135. Is that better?
    I sat on the sidelines for a long time now, but you all are doing it wrong. Here is the relevant example:

What is larger: 14513795 or 141201817 ?

You won't be able to tell if these numbers fly over your head like they do in combat. You need to put one number below the other or add separators to see properly.

There are scams based on that in games where devs don't design auction house UI properly.

This is solved by using postfixes: 14m vs 141m.

I Think the best thing would be to normalize the numbers. Regardless of what they actually are they would be represented as a number from 1 to 1000.
    Vanilla 1-1000
    TBC 1001-2000
    WotLK 2001-3000
    Cata 3001-4000
    MoP 4001-5000
    WoD 5001-6000
    Legion 6001-7000

So if you were doing 1.6 million (example number) DPS at the end of WoD that would be represented in game as 6000. If you now in Legion were doing 6.5 million DPS that would be represented as 6700 in game.

This would give us the appearance of linear growth when it's actually exponential.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    What is larger: 14513795 or 141201817 ?
    At the quickest glance the second on is 1 more digit. Even if you can't deal with scary big numbers the second one is longer.
    And do we really need to know every individual attack's precise number? Just writeit with thousand seperator points and they become much easier.

What is larger: 14.513.795 or 141.201.817?

Alright then. It's easier to see a difference between 416 and 418 than it is between 14513795 and 14597135. Is that better?
    The increase you are talking about wouldn't work with your system without adding decimal points.

If we take your examples and keep the percentage increases the same then 14513795 and 14597135 would be 145,1 and 145,9 depending on how many decimals you want.

Decimals look way worse than long numbers. Not to mention the technical side of it, decimals are more demanding for a computer to calculate than integers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? There is zero reason for a stat squish unless it's because large numbers are messing with the game on a performance level and that's just not a thing anymore (upgrade your 10-year old computer if it is). It's also not a code-based reason anymore either (one of the big reasons for the first stat squish).

People seem to be able to interpret stupidly huge numbers in Diablo 3 without Google Translate so I'm sure the WoW community could too. Just enable truncation to be shown so 3,579,951,657 is just "3.579 B" if that is what you prefer. Most of the addons do that anyway...my health being displayed as 6.74m vs the "6,738,700" it actually is doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Having the option to toggle it on and off means you can just do you...big numbers or small numbers with a letter.
    "And then, as though awoken from a blind stupor,the people of the internet realised that: no one gives a damn.
    And no damns were given." - Calon, MMO-Champion (source)

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    I think they just need to NOT bump the itemlevel from expac start to end so ludicrously. WoD ended at 680-700 gear being easy to get. Now? Fucking 910+ is easy to get. Frankly, Mythic Antorus is going to be what... close to 1000? Dafuq did we need a 300 itemlevel boost for? Should have been 10 itemlevels per raid tier.
    We had what, 3 raids in wod? And people complained that Highmaul and BRH difference was too small. We have had 4 raids already in this x-pack and 5th coming soon so we went from 570->720->960. So From MoP til the end of WoD is 150 difference and WoD to end of legion is 240. Seems fine for me considers we have 2 more raids than last x-pack. Also 10 ilvls per raid tier means that noone takes the gear from new raid cause the increase of stats is too low to change.

I've been down this road before when the first squish happened, this time I won't waste my time explaining to the kids that love big numbers why they are bad for the game and that squishes don't affect their power level. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The original Stat Squish was purely because it was less effort to change every spell, item and NPC in the game, than it was to change the code to allow 64-bit numbers for Health bars.

We now have that last option, so the odds of another squish are slim.

Yes, it means we'll see things like 33,000M HP, and 20M DPS. I'm sure we'll cope, even if it's through addons that just reduce what's displayed and hide trivial amounts.
    Diablo 3 players are already used to this madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablock87 View Post
    Right. You said everyone loves seeing being numbers and doesn't want to see a stat squish. Back up your claim.
    The original claim is, another squish is needed..

So far, there have been no proof of that.. Until such proof is produced, there is no need to prove the opposite.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

How is that even possible?? We went from like 20k DPS in HM to like 1.5 million in HFC.
    That was hardly a sustained DPS level.

Problem is, you can't really get good data on HFC bosses anymore, atleast not on the top end of the rankings since the rankings have all be polluted by cheesed 20 second burst kills.

Fights with killtimes in some minutes (Gorefiend, Velhari, Mannoroth, Archimonde) have top DPS of around 300k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckypoo View Post
    I have no interest in learning about people who can't deal with numbers. That is like trying to learn about a flat earther. You already know there is something wrong with them to believe that in the first place.
    Ok stay ignorant, fortunately the game is not designed by people who refuse to understand the problems humans in general have with the issue. Chances are you are probably just as bad but you don't even realise it.

How is that even possible?? We went from like 20k DPS in HM to like 1.5 million in HFC.
    Ilvl difference between highmaul gear and blackrock foundry raid. Mistyped letter in first post

15+ Year Old Account
    Instead of doing a "stat squish" I feel like they can make the system more streamlined while leveling, meaning that only newest expansion even uses stats on gear. This means that instead of having stats on for example vanilla gear you get a certain amount of each stat based on the quality of your gear and their ilvl, where Heirlooms equals rare quality until level 60 and epic after that or something like that. Basically some type of system similar to how PvP does it except that quality would also matter instead of only ilvl. Then for the current expansion they have additional stats on the gear so the system is still the same, but different.

With this system they can also remove unnessecary stats on gear pieces if they are streamlined. I mean if you get X agility becaues you have Y ilvl then they don't actually have to show it on the gear piece anymore, this makes tooltips less full. You still know that you gain more primary stats the higher ilvl you have. This also lets them add more RNG if they wanted to. Such as bonus main stats, instead of warforged/titanforged. Because in this way the bonus in ilvl would have meant more primary stats (both agi/str/int as well as stamina).

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    Ok stay ignorant, fortunately the game is not designed by people who refuse to understand the problems humans in general have with the issue. Chances are you are probably just as bad but you don't even realise it.

LOL!!!!! So me not caring about some jackass who can't deal with large numbers makes me ignorant? That makes me not understand humans in general? LOL. Holy shit man, you can't be that stupid. I'm embarrassed for you.

different opinions, different views. But so many angry and easily triggered people on these forums lol.

Personally I would prefer small numbers like in Vanilla, it's just what I enjoy more and I find it less complicated on my screen.
    I remember (if I even remember correct) my Warlock critting shadowbolts for 800 in Molten Core

Quote Originally Posted by Tinary View Post
    Also 10 ilvls per raid tier means that noone takes the gear from new raid cause the increase of stats is too low to change.
    I don't gt it. People still do things for a 10 itemlevel upgrade, now. Even 5 itemlevels. People grind creation tomestones in FFXIV for 330 gear, when you can both 'raid' for 320 and buy it on market.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvus View Post
    A stat squish is needed - but not the same kind of half-assed stat squish.
    Blizzard only made gear stats linear from 1 to 89. From 90+ it became once again exponential. Why? "To keep gear upgrades exciting".
    If Blizzard keeps that bullshit mentality, we'll still reach the same million stats and require another stat squish in 2 expansions.

So the only stat squish we really need is one that makes stats linear until max level of all current and future content.
    If Blizzard has the balls to do that, we will never need a stat squish ever again.
    So we'll have another 90-110 squish next expac so 1-110 is linear, then another squish later on down the line. Nothing wrong with that. We get our power increases so gearing through current content feels good, and numbers kept as under control as they can be.
    Last edited by cparle87; 2017-10-14 at 05:35 AM.

I definitely felt the last stat squish wasn't nearly enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

The stat squish before had nothing to do with curbing player power, and it did not do that at all. It had to do with the game becoming unbearably laggy with older computers. Blizz has instead decided not to develop the game for older computers anymore.

There was no other stat squish, they just changed the value of secondary stats per point, because players had power levels early on in the xpac that were too high. That's not a stat squish. In exchange they put more secondary stats on necks and rings and more main stats on all gear.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2017-10-14 at 06:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckypoo View Post
    LOL!!!!! So me not caring about some jackass who can't deal with large numbers makes me ignorant? That makes me not understand humans in general? LOL. Holy shit man, you can't be that stupid. I'm embarrassed for you.
    Its not "some Jackass" its human's in general and yes anyone not willing to learn is therefore ignorant to certain facts by definition. Fortunately, people in charge of designing things like games tend to make it there job to understand how people think.