Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Bromance" is only concerning to people who think men shouldn't be able to express meaningful relationships with one another.

Toxic masculinity and all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Women like to talk about social stuff and food which is fine. Men like to talk about sports, hunting and power tools. Their interests are different.

You can see this in action at large family gatherings where the women separate off into one group, the men into another.
    How much of this is innate and how much of it is due to the societal expectation that men and women shouldn't be friends for...'reasons'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I have to say, that it is hard to not find the conclusions of this 'study' straight out embarrassing. Or laughable, rather. God how I wish there was another better term than 'social scientists' to use in instances like this, as it is more or less straight out offensive to actual bona fide scientists...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    I have to say, that it is hard to not find the conclusions of this 'study' straight out laughable. God how I wish there was another term than 'social scientists' in instances like this, the term is straight out offensive to actual bona fide scientists...
    These aren't even 'social scientists', these are social alarmists.

You know, the kind of people that think watching Steven Universe makes kids gay. Or something.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    It's so interesting to see cuddling being stigmitized as strictly intimate.

No wonder heterosexual men prize their women's touch so much. Outside of them the only sort of contact they get is the violent intimidating type.
    You sound like the bloody type of genius that would write this type of article.

Bro's before hoe's goes back way longer than recent generations.....
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    These aren't even 'social scientists', these are social alarmists.

You know, the kind of people that think watching Steven Universe makes kids gay. Or something.
    Not familiar with the program in question, but I certainly do agree with the sentiment.

Sounds like these social scientists need a brojob to take a load off.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

7+ Year Old Account
    So are men showing too much emotion or not enough? Tell me great Social Scientists!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    You sound like the bloody type of genius that would write this type of article.
    Please do illustrate exactly where they are wrong. Because honestly women have a lot more latitude in how expressive they can be in maintaining close relationships with people of the same sex; any time two men are physically affectionate it's automatically assumed that they are gay.

The only two times in which physical contact is acceptable for men by mainstream social standards is either being physically intimate with a member of the opposite sex, or in a violent context.

Social science?

Is that a thing?

Men developing close relationships with other men is a great thing. Though I seriously doubt the validity of this, trying to paint that as sexist or slighting toward women, or being in any way about competition between the sexes, is just aggressively stupid.

Rather than lend it false credence by debating it, I'm just going to point at the author and laugh. Haha!
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Pretty much...blame everyone else but yourself, newest excuse for women I guess.

He doesn't like you? Oh it's because he is sexist and in a bromance with his best friend...blame the man.
    OMG he won't screw me, HE MUST BE THE GAYZ!
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

In a thousand years, JD's and Turk's bromance will be seen as beginning of the end of humanity.

The fact that apparently some people think that women are being starved of attention from men is absolutely mind-boggling, from my female perspective. It's just absolutely not the case in any way.

The only current social stigma that chinks into this discussion is when men have close female friends, people think they're;

1. Friends with benefits

2. Cheating on their SO.

3. Secretly in a relationship.

Because people are retarded like that. Me and my male best friend of 13 years have this issue all the time but it says a lot of the maturity of people who think that stuff.

Also female to female friends are generally extremely close, it's very rare to see friendships so close man to man from my personal experience.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2017-10-13 at 03:50 PM.

Remember men, without a woman you are incomplete. You can't have fun. You can't be happy. Once you have a woman she will decide what you like. She will be the only one that is capable of understanding you. She is the only friend you are allowed to have. Without her you are nothing. You can't have fun without a woman. You can't be happy without a woman. No one can understand you like a woman. A woman must be your entire world. But you have to give her space otherwise you are smothering her. Stop being so distant!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    The fact that apparently some people think that women are being starved of attention is absolutely mind-boggling.

Also female friends are generally extremely close, it's very rare to see friendships so close in men from my personal experience.
    It's usually the case in a lot of anglophone countries that close personal affection, whenever a guy is involved, is socially interpreted to have either familial or sexual connotations. Men can't be friends with women, or with each other.

I mean, the fact we have to use the term 'bromance' to describe what is almost always an intense but entirely platonic friendship is kinda telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's usually the case in a lot of anglophone countries that close personal affection, whenever a guy is involved, is socially interpreted to have either familial or sexual connotations. Men can't be friends with women, or with each other.

I mean, the fact we have to use the term 'bromance' to describe what is almost always an intense but entirely platonic friendship is kinda telling.
    Yeh I edited my post with a few pointers in regards to what you're saying. The social stigma on male-female friendships is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Also female to female friends are generally extremely close, it's very rare to see friendships so close man to man from my personal experience.
    Yah, My friend Dan married this girl and I found out there was some catastrophe in his life so he had to move his family in with his mom.

I called him on the phone and the only thing we talked about is if he was going to put in a garden that year.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing a controlling, abusive woman hates more than a man who has a social life outside of her that she can't control full of friends who will shine the spotlight on her bullshit to him.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Nothing a controlling, abusive woman hates more than a man who has a social life outside of her that she can't control full of friends who will shine the spotlight on her bullshit to him.
    Why does this have to be a 'men versus women' thing rather than a 'normal people versus society's bullshit expectations' thing.