Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The Boy Scouts already exist, and they are comprised mostly of volunteers and people who provide their own equipment. If there are any new members, they will provide their equipment, and their family members are the typical pool of volunteers. Once again, the cost increase would be quite minimal.

I still don't see that "mountain of problems, the huge cost increase, or the teen pregnancy epidemic that you are so fearful of.
    Forgive me that question was poorly worded... if the volunteers exist and it costs nothing why is a female version of the boy scouts not already in existence ?

It would've been better if the Girl Scouts simply changed their image into something similar to Boy Scouts, instead of a cutthroat cookie business it is now.

Wait, what am I saying. I would never give up Tagalongs and Samoas for that.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Forgive me that question was poorly worded... if the volunteers exist and it costs nothing why is a female version of the boy scouts not already in existence ?
    That has already been discussed, many did not feel there was a large enough market demand for it. The BSA apparently feels like there is a large enough demand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    My g/f was a girl scout, and she hated it. She wanted to do what the boy scouts were doing, but it was more "girly oriented" while the boy scouts did more of the "boy oriented" stuff.

Personally, I feel they should change the girl scouts to reflect the boy scouts, or simply combine the two completely.
    Your "gf's" story is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. One person doesn't affect the entire institution.

That has already been discussed, many did not feel there was a large enough market demand for it. The BSA apparently feels like there is a large enough demand.
    ...so even though it would be free it wouldnt be worth it (ignoring the fact its clearly not free but you seem to believe it is)

...so even though it would be free it wouldnt be worth it (ignoring the fact its clearly not free but you seem to believe it is)
    Well, the BSA clearly thinks it's worth it. If you disagree, then open up your own scouting group. You could even make it Nazi themed.

Well, the BSA clearly thinks it's worth it. If you disagree, then open up your own scouting group. You could even make it Nazi themed.
    You are not making arguments again...

You are not making arguments again...
    You have yet to back up a claim that I have already refuted. Sorry, that's not how it works.

You haven't shown the mountain of problems. You haven't shown how costs would increase significantly. You have not shown how it will impact teen pregnancies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Their both private identities and one is smart enough to realize that baring half the young population. That is a pretty stupid way of earning more money.
    I dont think they earn money...

Girls should not be doing similar activities as regular boy scouts. They simply aren't strong and courageous enough to do 90% of what the boys do. It isn't sexism, but biology here. Girls simply aren't meant to be outdoors doing activities such as camping. What if something bad were to happen? They would hardly be able to defend themselves and their friends from a wild animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Your "gf's" story is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. One person doesn't affect the entire institution.
    And yet sometimes its all it takes... The smallest minority groups is the individual as its just one person. Treading on minority rights are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    Girls should not be doing similar activities as regular boy scouts. They simply aren't strong and courageous enough to do 90% of what the boys do. It isn't sexism, but biology here. Girls simply aren't meant to be outdoors doing activities such as camping. What if something bad were to happen? They would hardly be able to defend themselves and their friends from a wild animal.
    There's not a single thing I did in all my years of scouting (Eagle Scout) that could not have been done by girls I went to school with. This is a load of sexist poppycock.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There's not a single thing I did in all my years of scouting (Eagle Scout) that could not have been done by girls I went to school with. This is a load of sexist poppycock.
    Pee in the woods without needing to squat?

Are you fucking serious? They aren't brave enough? What kind of girls do you hang out with?

It's camping, it's not professional football.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Pee in the woods without needing to squat?
    Interestingly enough, they have inventions for just that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It isn't sexist poppycock. Men are usually the ones to have to take up the courage to defend someone from danger. The majority of women do not do that. The girl, boy scouts wouldn't be able to protect each other from danger because they physically lack the strength to do so. An activity that would be very difficult for girls is canoeing for example. One boy roughly has the strength of 2-3 girls. The girls would hardly be able to paddle down a river.
    Are you fucking serious? They aren't brave enough? What kind of girls do you hang out with?

It's camping, it's not professional football.

- - - Updated - - -

Interestingly enough, they have inventions for just that problem.
    Yes, they aren't brave enough. Boy scouts can be dangerous and girls would not be able to handle the majority of the activities. This is one of, if not the main reason why they were never allowed to be an eagle scout. You need strength, finesse, the ability to sense what things are about to go wrong. These skills are very difficult for girls to acquire because historically, girls were inside while the boys were outside hunting and gathering.

It isn't sexist poppycock. Men are usually the ones to have to take up the courage to defend someone from danger. The majority of women do not do that. The girl, boy scouts wouldn't be able to protect each other from danger because they physically lack the strength to do so. An activity that would be very difficult for girls is canoeing for example. One boy roughly has the strength of 2-3 girls. The girls would hardly be able to paddle down a river.

Yes, they aren't brave enough. Boy scouts can be dangerous and girls would not be able to handle the majority of the activities. This is one of, if not the main reason why they were never allowed to be an eagle scout. You need strength, finesse, the ability to sense what things are about to go wrong. These skills are very difficult for girls to acquire because historically, girls were inside while the boys were outside hunting and gathering.
    That's utter bullshit. It's camping. It's learning about nature. It's learning survival skills. It's playing at a jamboree. You are nothing but a sexist pig, and clearly don't have a fucking clue.

Honestly the Boy Scouts have always had a much better and more organized program than the girl scouts did. I learned far more from my years of scouting than I ever did in my many more years of school in terms of actual real-life experiences, plus trying things I never may have tried otherwise. Seems like a good change to me. I don't see nearly as many girls interested in this as boys, but I do think it would be nice to have that opportunity for them, at least.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do they get work on their reproduction badges?

It is sexist poppycock. You're mistaking cultural constructs (females as the "meek" gender and males as the "warriors") for biological facts.

Have you ever tried to get in between a mother bear and her cubs? Ever seen a mother who thinks her children are in imminent danger? Yeah, not terribly different in most instances.

What physical danger exists that teenage boys would be able to defend against that teenage girls couldn't? Are teenage boys doing battle with mountain lions or something?

The rest of your post is sexist overgeneralization that's not even remotely accurate.

Hi, I'm an Eagle Scout (again). There wasn't a single thing I did in all my years of scouting that couldn't have been done by a teenage girl. Literally, not a single thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for "inclusion" but it makes more sense to implement a "co-ed" division specific to mixed gender "scouts". It may even be beneficial to mix the activities of both types of scouts in such a division, that way the kids can participate in both sides if they want. I mean, if they can make it work, good for them. But I sure as hell wouldn't want my daughter on a camping trip with a group of boys her age and a couple of adult men.