Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It is sexist poppycock. You're mistaking cultural constructs (females as the "meek" gender and males as the "warriors") for biological facts.

Have you ever tried to get in between a mother bear and her cubs? Ever seen a mother who thinks her children are in imminent danger? Yeah, not terribly different in most instances.

What physical danger exists that teenage boys would be able to defend against that teenage girls couldn't? Are teenage boys doing battle with mountain lions or something?

The rest of your post is sexist overgeneralization that's not even remotely accurate.

Hi, I'm an Eagle Scout (again). There wasn't a single thing I did in all my years of scouting that couldn't have been done by a teenage girl. Literally, not a single thing.
    But there are good sound reasons why you do not see teenage girls as running backs or tacklers in high school foot ball in the great majority of the cases at least. This is a extreme point I admit and last time I checked, the boy and girl scouts are not into contact sports. But there is the fact teenage boys in general, are noticeably stronger than the same age girl. This is not true however in the below teenage years. As girls mature younger than boys do.

Well, I've five daughters, and am not impressed with the values and practices of the Girl Scouts, so maybe this is a better option. The pessimist in me says it probably won't be though. I wont allow my girls to go on coed camping trips in the older age groups.

What bears further discussion is why the Boy Scouts felt the need to do this in the first place. My initial guess would be American culture has become very indoors and isolated so the appeal of scouting has decreased for both parents and their kids. I find that saddening, but there's not much to be done about it really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    Girls should not be doing similar activities as regular boy scouts. They simply aren't strong and courageous enough to do 90% of what the boys do. It isn't sexism, but biology here. Girls simply aren't meant to be outdoors doing activities such as camping. What if something bad were to happen? They would hardly be able to defend themselves and their friends from a wild animal.
    I'm inclined to think this is an obvious troll. There is nothing in the boyscout regimen that is out of reach for a healthy girl of similar age. That is unless you want to draw an enormous false-equivalency between camping and some of the more difficult military training regimens.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Well, I've five daughters, and am not impressed with the values and practices of the Girl Scouts, so maybe this is a better option. The pessimist in me says it probably won't be though. I wont allow my girls to go on coed camping trips in the older age groups.

What bears further discussion is why the Boy Scouts felt the need to do this in the first place. My initial guess would be American culture has become very indoors and isolated so the appeal of scouting has decreased for both parents and their kids. I find that saddening, but there's not much to be done about it really.
    It could be. But they should change their name and call it the Scouts of America. Otherwise it is being hypocritical and is only been done anyway to appease the politically correct crowd.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't sexist poppycock. Men are usually the ones to have to take up the courage to defend someone from danger. The majority of women do not do that. The girl, boy scouts wouldn't be able to protect each other from danger because they physically lack the strength to do so. An activity that would be very difficult for girls is canoeing for example. One boy roughly has the strength of 2-3 girls. The girls would hardly be able to paddle down a river.

Yes, they aren't brave enough. Boy scouts can be dangerous and girls would not be able to handle the majority of the activities. This is one of, if not the main reason why they were never allowed to be an eagle scout. You need strength, finesse, the ability to sense what things are about to go wrong. These skills are very difficult for girls to acquire because historically, girls were inside while the boys were outside hunting and gathering.
    What do you think boy scouts do? Wrestle bears?

It's funny how the only people I hear saying something like this would be a problem weren't boyscouts and seem to have very little clue as to what boy scouts entails.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It could be. But they should change their name and call it the Scouts of America. Otherwise it is being hypocritical and is only been done anyway to appease the politically correct crowd.
    As much as it pleases me to blame just about everything on SJWs and political corectness, decisions like are far more often a business move. Likely they just want to increase their enrollment. It could seriously backfire though.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    You are talking about nearly doubling the number of volunteers needed ignoring costs you must understand how that would effect the situation.
    You are grossly over stating how much cost will have an impact given that the organization is entirely volunteer driven and run. Obviously money is necessary for things, but that typically comes from the parents of the scouts which is the same place it would have come from anyway. So the decision to allow girls in won't have any discernible impact on the cost to run a Scout pack since the cost doesn't come from the Pack, it comes from the parents, which is where it's always come from.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post

It was discussed in the original article. It's been a question that has been asked for years and recently polls showed a great deal of interest in Boy Scouts from girls or families of girls. Basically, it's in demand so they changed the rule to allow it to happen.

I tend to accept that as the real reason because enrollment has been down before and this organization is over 100 years old. If they were really going to open it up for monetary reasons, they would have done it long ago

- - - Updated - - -

It isn't sexist poppycock. Men are usually the ones to have to take up the courage to defend someone from danger. The majority of women do not do that. The girl, boy scouts wouldn't be able to protect each other from danger because they physically lack the strength to do so. An activity that would be very difficult for girls is canoeing for example. One boy roughly has the strength of 2-3 girls. The girls would hardly be able to paddle down a river.

Yes, they aren't brave enough. Boy scouts can be dangerous and girls would not be able to handle the majority of the activities. This is one of, if not the main reason why they were never allowed to be an eagle scout. You need strength, finesse, the ability to sense what things are about to go wrong. These skills are very difficult for girls to acquire because historically, girls were inside while the boys were outside hunting and gathering.
    Dude, you are full of so much shit it's ridiculous. Nothing you said is remotely accurate and reeks of you having absolutely no idea what Cub Scouts do or are expected to do (which is the only part of the scouting program that will allow girls in 2018 as the older organization, Boy Scouts, still needs to figure out the logistics before opening it up). Cub Scouts are maximum 11 years old...you really think an 11 year old is going to be big and brave and save a group from a wild animal? Especially when Cub Scouts are required to have adult supervision at all times when on the kinds of trips you would have even a remote chance of getting into a situation like the one you're making up? So even if they did get into that situation it would be the adult dealing with it?

Just stop.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2017-10-14 at 06:34 AM.

It's been a question that has been asked for years and recently polls showed a great deal of interest in Boy Scouts from girls or families of girls. Basically, it's in demand so they changed the rule to allow it to happen.

But that defeats the purpose of Boy Scouts. Jesus Christ.

This is so... American.

I can find no better word to describe PC culture making Boy Scouts accept girls than "American".

Cub Scouts are maximum 11 years old...you really think an 11 year old is going to be big and brave and save a group from a wild animal?
    https://www.nextnature.net/2010/05/n...rcraft-skills/

Norwegian Boy Saves Sister from Moose Attack Using World of Warcraft Skills

Yes. There is no doubt about it. When it comes to being decisive and saving lives I'll entrust a man over a woman 10 out of 10 times. It's just biology.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post

This is so... American.

I can find no better word to describe PC culture making Boy Scouts accept girls than "American".

Yes. There is no doubt about it. When it comes to being decisive and saving lives I'll entrust a man over a woman 10 out of 10 times. It's just biology.
    You're aware majority of the world already have a unisex scouts alongside boy/girl only? Apparently the USA are a few decades behind

10+ Year Old Account
    The Girl Scouts are the most against this.

7+ Year Old Account

This is so... American.

Of course you're the kind of person who cares about keeping a sex-specific organization.

Tell me more about those religious morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Of course you're the kind of person who cares about keeping a sex-specific organization.

Tell me more about those religious morals.
    Don't turn this into muh feminism.

It's a boy organisation. Boys don't go to Girl Scouts, girls don't go to Boy Scouts.

If you want a unisex one make a new one.

And I already told you I'm not religious.

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't turn this into muh feminism.

It's a boy organisation. Boys don't go to Girl Scouts, girls don't go to Boy Scouts.

If you want a unisex one make a new one.

And I already told you I'm not religious.
    I have no idea what you mean by "muh feminism."

I'm fully aware of the tradition of "boy scouts." That doesn't mean it cannot be challenged.

Deleted
    This thread feels like 20 pages of the same circle

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I have no idea what you mean by "muh feminism."

I'm fully aware of the tradition of "boy scouts." That doesn't mean it cannot be challenged.
    Why? Why not make another group?

It's the same shit as when they make Captain America black in the name of diversity. If you want to show how PC and diverse you are ( which is what this is, make no mistake, it's just a PR move ) make something NEW instead of changing something old to fit a mold it shouldn't fit.

It's the same shit as when they make Captain America black in the name of diversity. If you want to show how PC and diverse you are ( which is what this is, make no mistake, it's just a PR move ) make something NEW instead of changing something old to fit a mold it shouldn't fit.
    1) Because they are in financial trouble and using funds to create another program makes little sense, the only reason they are doing this move is to bring in more money not lose.

2) Sam Wilson was in Captain America for decades and it was not the first time he had been replaced by one of his sidekicks. So your issue was that he was black?

Deleted

But Sam Wilson IS a new Captain America

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    1) Because they are in financial trouble and using funds to create another program makes little sense, the only reason they are doing this move is to bring in more money not lose.

2) Sam Wilson was in Captain America for decades and it was not the first time he had been replaced by one of his sidekicks. So your issue was that he was black?
    Miles Morales? Asian Hulk? Woman Thor?

Yes, when they make these changes from classic heroes to minorities it's pretty obvious it's pandering and I take issue with pandering.

Miles Morales? Asian Hulk? Woman Thor?

Yes, when they make these changes from classic heroes to minorities it's pretty obvious it's pandering and I take issue with pandering.
    Miles Morales and Jane Foster Thor sell very well, the Asian Hulk thing sucks but that has more to do with Marvel screwing franchises they don't have the movie rights to and their own problems at large which is corporate oversight. If you think that pandering is the reasons so many of their titles are failing then you haven't been paying attention, Marvel sucks now because they keep doing event after event that change nothing and their continuity is shit.

Deleted
    So now they can camp together in the woods? Good plan!

7+ Year Old Account

Ah yeah, I'm so PC. You caught me.