Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cheap gaming chairs, worth it?

https://jysk.dk/kontor/kontorstole/g...ark-sort-groen

At about 160 dollars, this is the cheapest I've seen chairs at in Denmark like this - I know more standard office chairs are cheaper, but for me they don't seem comfy at all. Usually these chairs start at about 1500 DKK KR, this is 1000 until tomorrow. I hate my old 10ish year old chair. I study the market way too much, time to make a decision...Would you buy?

I love that lower back and neck cushion, full tilt back, 360 spin, and seems it goes quite low to the ground. Also I'm not that big a person, 60 kilo 168 CM, so this chair fitted me good in the store - Went there to buy some other stuff, but this deal stood out to me :P

Is it worth going up to like 200-400 dollars, or will a 100-200 dollar gaming chair work just fine? I feel like I didn't get any bad vibes from sitting at + 2 year standard warranty.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Why would you need a gaming chair though?

I mean, I have a background in marketing so I understand they want you to believe you need one, but why do you think you need one?

Ive heard they are supposed to be good, pretty much every streamer have them but im sure they all just go with the bandwagon on that. Never tried them myself so cant say if they are comfortable or not.

I roll with one of these and are happy, it's $199.00

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Ive heard they are supposed to be good, pretty much every streamer have them but im sure they all just go with the bandwagon on that. Never tried them myself so cant say if they are comfortable or not.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/pro...E563882_S4.JPG
    I imagine streamers often get sponsored, maybe that is why so many have gamer chairs.

I'm curious about the armrests, are they comfortable after using them for long periods? They look a little uncomfortable in that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    I imagine streamers often get sponsored, maybe that is why so many have gamer chairs.

I'm curious about the armrests, are they comfortable after using them for long periods? They look a little uncomfortable in that picture.
    The armrests could be abit higher up, and yeah your probably right about the sponsors.

I used to play on a generic office chair, cost like 20 pound and was comfortable with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    A good chair is an investment and a damn good one if you spend 8 hours a day or more sitting in it.
    It's your damn back that's at stake. Would you be willing to pay a bit of dough for a good chair, or a lot more for spinal surgery later?

People who say DX Racer is a gaming chair are absolutely mental. Sat in one and it's just not designed for support like a good office chair
    And the material is a lot cheaper than they make it seem.

And some added TotalBiscuit cynicism for emphasized effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Di6....be&t=1h49m54s
    Last edited by DrMcNinja; 2017-10-14 at 01:38 PM.

I got a DXRacer max, while better than my previous one, I dont think it's all that amazing.

The neck support thing quickly got annoying so I took it off, packed it away and never used it again.
    But what's really annoying, is that the padding on the side of the shoulder blades is really light and there's metal underneath that can be felt. Quite uncomfortable.

I think ill be looking elsewhere next time im shopping chairs.

Edit: I forgot that the gas cylinder it came with, was bad and had to be RMA'd..

Deleted
    I'm sitting on the AKRACING PREMIUM Gaming Chair V2 right now, its was about $400. It's a solid chair with quality materials, it looks good. It's a relatively comfortable chair but don't expect it to be soft.

I'm not unhappy with the chair but I think I could have bought a more comfortable chair for the money. My advice is to try a chair before you buy it, don't just buy it because everyone else says its good.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so tired with buying cheapo $100CAD chairs that I've been looking in to something more substantial regardless of it being an office or "racing" chair. What I can say is that just checking out Amazon shows me there are tons and tons and tons of racing chairs which all look the same from a broad range of manufacturers so I feel like it's worth doing a lot of research before I make a choice but will likely stick away from the big name brands because, well, a lot of the costs is simply fluffy marketing.

If I can even get a year out of a chair without the back and arms giving way then I'd be really happy.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

"Gaming" chair is just a gimmick, get whatever can support your weight/body/height bla bla.

The person that linked Markus chair from IKEA is on the right track, bought it myself after researching too.

Basically it all comes down to how "stable" the chair is, there are different/new mechanisms that the average 50-150$ chairs usually dont have, they are found on overly expensive office chairs, or cheaper random chairs like the Markus one because of that, also the 10 years warranty helps a lot , and yes the armrests are a bit on the shorter side, but i am 6'5 so could be that.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    And some added TotalBiscuit cynicism for emphasized effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Di6....be&t=1h49m54s
    Holy shit that's the first time I've ever seen the real version of Matt.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I have a similar looking chair that I bought for a similar price. I got it not becasue it was called "gaming chair" but because I liked the features it came with - full back support, just the right height for my height, adjustable arm supports, etc. I found it to be worth it. office chairs could work just as well, I just couldn't find ones with high enough back for as affordable of a price. ikea chair that was linked - not my thing. I have had a chair with that mesh style of back before. never again. might work for other people, incredibly uncomfortable for me.

basically get what looks comfortable, at the price you can afford. it may end up being office chair. may end up being gaming chair. at the core - gaming chairs are just office chairs with bright colors added.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post

199$ wow the Markus is very expensive, here in germany it cost around 130€ but its a great chair.

Deleted
    I really want to buy something like this meant for hospitals or whatever and use it as my computer chair

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    199$ wow the Markus is very expensive, here in germany it cost around 130€ but its a great chair.
    Agree, mine is 8 years old. Best chair I ever had.

Deleted
    I have the same chair, but Elgiganten branded one. It's quite a good chair.
    There are painful pipes at the sides of the seat that mostly disallow funny positions.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've always used pretty shitty chairs in the past, the $60 put it together yourself stuff. Took me forever to learn that in the long run, it messed up my back. Bad.

https://www.hermanmiller.com/product.../aeron-chairs/

This is the baby I use now. Expensive, sadly. I paid $800, but it's been worth it. Both the back and butt portion are mesh, so it's not like you'll sweat and eventually stink up the chair. Adjustments out the wazoo to get it to your comfort level, including lumbar. 16 year warranty for.. anything. It was also a lifesaver after I gave birth, 'cuz hooooooooly shit.

It doesn't come with a head rest, but you can buy it separately, though I'm not a fan of headrests in general when I'm playing, so I can't comment on that. It does come in three sizes (A, B, C) depending upon your height and weight. I've never had a better chair.

So, while I've never used one of those chairs in the OP, I would never get one. It looks way too stifling. It might be comfortable, but if you ever have a ridiculously long gaming session, you'll more than likely sweat like crazy in that thing. Mesh all the way~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Why would you need a gaming chair though?
    I don't really think people need them. That said: I bought a DXRacer like 10 months ago, and it was definitely worth the money. It's super comfortable.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-10-14 at 02:56 PM.

Got some 'no name gaming one' for 100-120 euro like 2 years ago. So happy about it.