Page 1 of 3
LastLast

"Mysterious Ogre Continent"

Taken from https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ogre:

Maps for the alternate Draenor feature an unnamed landmass southwest of Draenor's main continent, described at BlizzCon 2013 as a "mysterious ogre continent" from which the Gorian Empire originated and where their main seat of power was still located, with their influence having spread to Draenor's main continent over time. The existence of this continent appears to have been retconned, as Chronicle Volume 2 never makes mention of it and instead places the ogres' original seat of power in the city of Goria in the center of Draenor's main continent. However, the landmass can still be seen on in-game maps of Draenor.
    • High Centurion Tormmok still mentions having campaigned on two continents.
    • The original maps for Draenor also featured a large island south of Nagrand. The official Warlords of Draenor site described seafaring ogres claiming the south of Nagrand, but this plot point was removed during development.

So what do you guys think?

Is it simply a retcon and Blizz hasn't bothered to change the in-game map? Or do you think we'll see some iteration of this continent in a future expansion (perhaps 9.0 after the South Seas), albeit something different than what they originally planned? It could be that other continent that High Centurion Tormmok mentioned in passing. Maybe we'll see the "fara" Primals of Farahlon in said expansion.
    "Pulsars are the bulimic cosmic anomalies..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I don't think that after collosal fiasco of WoD we will ever sail to shrekdaria. And just like Farahlon, it sunk to abyss of obscurity.

I don't think it was retconned but I don't think there is an interest in us going there anytime soon. It's basically in the store room with all of the other potential future plot threads.

Warcraft chronicles book 2 it was removed from the map but then again faralon was added back into the map... so blizzard just doesn't know. It might still be around and would be cool if it was.

If only they didn't abandon WoD when it was 10% done

10+ Year Old Account
    This is probably thread #15 about this. They've already hacked it apart.

It's a retcon that never got dealt with. It was originally going to be Goria, but when it was fleshed out, they made it the main continent and just never bothered fixing it.

That's all.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I don't think it was retconned as not existing anymore--all of the existing in-game lore in WoD points pretty extensively to the massive mainland of the ogre empire. I think it just wasn't shown in the map in Chronicle 2 to simplify representation, since the map didn't actually show anything significant for the continent, anyway. If they had designed a map for the bigger continent, they would have had to stuck to that going forward if (god forbid) we ever go back to AU Draenor.

Also still weird that the capital of the Gorian empire is in the heart of their most contested territory and cut off from the larger, more powerful empire.

I think it's still there, but WoD flopped so hard for the community that we're probably not ever going to see hair or mention of it again.

And if it's all the same, WoD Ogres weren't that charmful looking, so I'm kind of relieved we aren't seeing it, even if the culture is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I think it's still there, but WoD flopped so hard for the community that we're probably not ever going to see hair or mention of it again.

And if it's all the same, WoD Ogres weren't that charmful looking, so I'm kind of relieved we aren't seeing it, even if the culture is interesting.
    Would prefer Azerothian ogres to build their own civilization unique from Goria, though it can incorporate some elements.

I think it's more of a case of Blizzard never actually planning to do anything with it and just putting it there to make the map look better.

10+ Year Old Account
    youre like an expansion too late to ask this question
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I am not convinced it was ever supposed to be anything more than to slightly flesh out the background lore of Draenor.

The assumption that it would have been a whole expansion of its own is just ludicrous. I'm not sure it would even have made sense as a patch zone either.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2017-10-14 at 11:03 PM.

I still want to know what that one planet with water and green land is in Ulduar. The one near Algalon's door. It's not Azeroth.

They abandoned Draenor before WoD was even out of beta. There's no way we'll go back there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see the ogre continent. Though I fear it's been ret-conned out - Chronicles II makes no mention of the ogres originating anywhere but the primary draenor continent.

It would be awesome if some version of it survived in Outland. I imagined that a playable ogre faction would revolve around the enlightened ogres of Ogri'la somehow, and it would be neat to see them perhaps attempt to reclaim something of their old homeland.

Interestingly, Tormmok (Ogre Follower in WoD) mentions that he's a Veteran of campaigns on two continents.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:A_Ce...ithout_a_Cause

Isn't Chronicles 2 about our version of Draenor? The one that became Outlands?

Technically not really a retcon then. It's possible this version the Ogres came from another land.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkins View Post
    I don't think it was retconned as not existing anymore--all of the existing in-game lore in WoD points pretty extensively to the massive mainland of the ogre empire. I think it just wasn't shown in the map in Chronicle 2 to simplify representation, since the map didn't actually show anything significant for the continent, anyway. If they had designed a map for the bigger continent, they would have had to stuck to that going forward if (god forbid) we ever go back to AU Draenor.

Also still weird that the capital of the Gorian empire is in the heart of their most contested territory and cut off from the larger, more powerful empire.
    The story never made sense; for example, Bladespire is supposed to be at the edge of the empire, yet it's merely on the other side of the bay. In essence, they said, "Fook it!" 'Tis a shame, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another one of these content they wanted to give us but scrapted and gave us a pile of junk instead. Aka all of WoD patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Isn't Chronicles 2 about our version of Draenor? The one that became Outlands?

Technically not really a retcon then. It's possible this version the Ogres came from another land.
    They're basically the same for the broad strokes. Most everything in WoD-verse was translated into the prime universe because Blizzard wants to streamline that history. While you can technically hand-wave it as multiverse, it is definitely Blizzard dropping that piece of ogre development.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2017-10-14 at 11:57 PM.