Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Cord cutting doesn't ruin these networks. These are OTA broadcast networks.

If anything, cord cutting improves their situation by driving a resurgence in antenna use.
    I've yet to meet a cord cutter that continued to own a TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I've yet to meet a cord cutter that continued to own a TV.
    Antenna use in urban areas is up significantly over the last few years, matching pretty closely to the number of people not using cable. 19% don't use cable and 15% use antennas. So that's only 4% (just under 1/4 of cord cutters) that don't do TV at all or do it strictly online.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

That isn't good.

If he is against these networks, just let the process of cord cutting run its course and ruin them. Government censorship isn't the way to go.
    "The failing" CNBC is owned by NBC Universal and it's posting record profits.

I think they'll be fine kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    "The failing" CNBC is owned by NBC Universal and it's posting record profits.

I think they'll be fine kek.
    Good for them then?

In general though I'd prefer Television be gone anyway, but if it can survive, I guess it survives.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Good for them then?

In general though I'd prefer Television be gone anyway, but if it can survive, I guess it survives.
    It'll even survive open attacks on the First Amendment by the sitting President.

Because fortunately he's as incompetent as he is venal.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It'll even survive open attacks on the First Amendment by the sitting President.

Because fortunately he's as incompetent as he is venal.
    I don't think Trump will defeat NBC either.

Hopefully people just stop watching television and advertising that comes with it.

I don't think Trump will defeat NBC either.

Hopefully people just stop watching television and advertising that comes with it.
    I actually haven't watched TV for 2 years.

They'll eventually migrate to a new business model though.

Have read the article, but find the title confusing. When does Mr. President threaten to "shut down" NBC and other news networks?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Have read the article, but find the title confusing.
    A lot of people who read Trump's tweets about challenging the license of NBC for posting a true story did not find the title confusing. They took it seriously.

That's why some Congressmen called for the FCC to publicly refute any chance of shutting down NBC for posting a true story.

And the FCC responded, publicly refutin any chance of shutting down NBC for posting a true story.

The context was there to motivate two of the three branches of government to push back. Regardless, it's basically over. Trump has moved onto calling other things Fake News, namely, the allegations of sexual assault against him. You know, except for the "grab them by the pussy" comments he personally made about...um...nobody, I guess? He was either admitting sexual assault, or lying about committing it, and neither trait is endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    He threatens to shut down the ones that post false information, that's the difference. How would you feel if I made up lies about you, wouldn't you want it silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    He threatens to shut down the ones that post false information, that's the difference. How would you feel if I made up lies about you, wouldn't you want it silenced?
    *Claims they are lies.

Trump isn't exactly a viable nor believable source of information.

Also, most people who make it to the presidency aren't such thin-skinned, whiny little shit stains that they feel the need to threaten one of the pillars of freedom.

7+ Year Old Account
    False info isn't info you don't agree with or want others knowing.

Words have meanings. Do try to keep up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

He threatens to shut down the ones that post false information, that's the difference.
    "False information" here being defined as "information Donald Trump doesn't like."

The First Amendment doesn't differentiate or care about what Trump thinks are and aren't lies. It doesn't take his personal feelings into account, unfortunately.

And we already have laws to deal with issues like libel and slander, if Trump feels they're not strong enough he's welcome to lead the charge in Congress to strengthen them.

If you shut down anyone telling lies to the american people you'd be shutting down Trump first and foremost. Just today he tried to sell some bullshit about past presidents not calling families of fallen soldiers. He did that, of course, because he got caught not giving a shit and had to make up something on the spot.

As for network/cable the first to go would be FOX. But this only matters to a point since the audience of network news is dying of old age.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2017-10-16 at 09:30 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We have libel and slander laws for a reason. If they were lies Trump has the full ability to sue anyone that lies and slanders his name.

Oh please, you would throw an absolute tantrum if Obama had tried to shut down Fox news after all the lies Fox pumped out during his presidency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    We have libel and slander laws for a reason. If they were lies Trump has the full ability to sue anyone that lies and slanders his name.
    ... which he has... many times... sometimes to his own detriment.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

You're full of shit.

This is about silencing free media. "Fake news" is the Trump buzz word for "not propaganda".

If he thinks they post libel or slander against him, he can try to sue them, or have Congress amend such laws if his feelings are hurt.

Beyond that, he doesn't get to define what are ''lies'' and he doesn't get to imply their funding should be cut because they don't say things the President doesn't like.