Page 41 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a total Trek Noob, I have to ask:

Is the Spore Tech they're working on the beginning of something established in canon, or are they going into the unknown here?

Because if this show is a prequel, and they're working on tech that we've not seen in OS, TNG, etc... It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that this experiment is going to end well XD.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post

Is the Spore Tech they're working on the beginning of something established in canon, or are they going into the unknown here?

Because if this show is a prequel, and they're working on tech that we've not seen in OS, TNG, etc... It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that this experiment is going to end well XD.
    The sporedrive will go the Genesis route. That's all. The tardigrade's reaction to its use as navigator is already a good hint.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Never been in any of the other shows as far as I know, and I've seen them all.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    The creators' recent comments that all of this is in line with known Star Trek canon and we need to be "patient" to see how all the discontinuities work out have left me wondering crazy fanboy thoughts like, are we actually seeing the evolution of the mirror universe, and Michael's eventually going to spore her way into the primary universe? Definitely some sort of time travel or universal switcheroo is going to have to happen for that statement to hold true.
    If it were the Mirror Universe, the Discovery would be part of the Terran Empire, not the United Federation of Planets.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    If it were the Mirror Universe, the Discovery would be part of the Terran Empire, not the United Federation of Planets.
    That is true. Probably going to end in some spore time travel, then, which is to be expected with anything that's been associated with the word "quantum" in Star Trek.

Yes, it's new. There have been experiments with different modes of travel in pretty much every series, and none of them work out well. ...except when they needed to finally get Voyager home at the end of that show.

I think it's a safe bet that it will prove disastrous in some way, and not just because the show's supposed to be a prequel. As I said before, the technology is just too good to last from a storytelling perspective, for the same reason their transporters have limitations (distance, power requirements, can't go through enemy shields, etc). Because otherwise no one would pose a threat to the protagonists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Yes, it's new. There have been experiments with different modes of travel in pretty much every series, and none of them work out well. ...except when they needed to finally get Voyager home at the end of that show.
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Cool, good to know that this will probably end in some kind of cataclysmic fuck up XD.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Yeah, that's pretty much guaranteed. The only question is how bad it's going to be. Because I seriously doubt they'd go to all the trouble of setting this up (establishing that the ship was basically built around this technology) to just play the "oh, we need to stop using this because [insert lofty-sounding ideals]" card.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2017-10-15 at 10:32 PM.

Tonight's show was good as well. Michael wasn't at the center of it, first time the word fuck was uttered on Trek. stammets taking the place of the tardigrade. A captain in a fight.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Yeah, that's pretty much guaranteed. The only question is how bad it's going to be. Because I seriously doubt they'd go to all the trouble of setting this up (establishing that the ship was basically built around this technology) to just play the "oh, we need to stop using this because [insert lofty-sounding ideals]" card.
    My prediction: spores cause time travel to the past (quantum mechanics, travel through space AND time!). War with the Klingons is prevented. Because the war was prevented, Starfleet does not invest in Stamets' projects, spore drive never comes to be.

Good episode, but saying the word 'Fuck' is seriously not acceptable for Star Trek. Kids should be able to watch this show.

Star Trek Discovery has so much potential but keeps being held back by its own worst impulses. First it was the Security Chief, a bad person, calling the prisoners "Animals". Now it's language that makes this squarely a show for adults rather than a gateway drug to science, engineering, science and technology that Star Trek has been for 50 years.

Now go on, tell me how super awesome and "real Trek" The Orville is.

well it is. sure its not so serious as st but it has the spirit of st. i wouldnt say super awesome tho, i would say its pretty good. ST is pretty difficult to watch imo, will give it a few more episodes and decide then if its worth my time.

Sorry, guess I should have quoted the guy complaining about how "fuck" wasn't appropriate for children and that the show must be a gateway to sci-fi for kids.

From what I have seen, it is.

ST is not Star Trek. It lacks pretty much everything that made the previous series fun to watch. The humour, the colours, the not-very-preachy delivered subjects, the well written (lets forget certain cadets..) characters..

ST would have worked if it was set in the Star Wars universe, or many years after VOY, but when it is set in 2250 (or so) and the ships and devices used look way more modern than what is seen and used in VOY then something just does not sit well. And I find it rather insulting to "forget" half of the ST lore and rewrite the other half of it. I was especially annoyed with the "Federation does not withdraw!", as said by the captain of the ship.

I doubt it'll last for more than a season.

*edit* And the new Klingons SUCK.
    Last edited by Sharein; 2017-10-16 at 05:54 PM.

I'm enjoying it so far,

The F-bombs in the last episode caught me off guard, but to be fair this is a subscription show and not necessarily bound to FCC rules. They just need to work in the language a little more naturally next time. I have feeling this first season going to viewed negatively by trekies regardless of how good or bad it is, but I'm keeping an open mind and enjoying it for what it is.

This last episode gets a 8/10, Lorca's capture and detainment by the Klingons was a bright spot of the episode.
    Last edited by Bigvizz; 2017-10-16 at 06:22 PM.

Everyone talks about the "fuck" and i am sitting here and can't even remember that it was said. Must have lost focus after the 10th time Micheal and the xo have the same dialogue. Lorca and the admirality were good, but everything related to the rest of the crew and Micheal is just .

Sorry, guess I should have quoted the guy complaining about how "fuck" wasn't appropriate for children and that the show must be a gateway to sci-fi for kids.
    I haven't watched Orville. I don't care to watch a parody.

There are intrinsic elements to things that make them what they are. You wouldn't make a Star Wars movie with the gore of Saw. Sharia Law and Order isn't actually a thing. Lord of the Rings doesn't have laser guns.

Star Trek can and should explore controversial and contemporary themes. But it must also be accessible to everybody and all ages. Not on broadcast TV or not, it should be appropriate for someone as young as 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I haven't watched Orville. I don't care to watch a parody.

There are intrinsic elements to things that make them what they are. You wouldn't make a Star Wars movie with the gore of Saw. Sharia Law and Order isn't actually a thing. Lord of the Rings doesn't have laser guns.

Star Trek can and should explore controversial and contemporary themes. But it must also be accessible to everybody and all ages. Not on broadcast TV or not, it should be appropriate for someone as young as 7.
    Aside from you, says who exactly?

Also: parody or not, you're missing out. It is far less parody than advertised.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I think the show is good so far. I loved the first episodes, the visual was pretty amazing. (Episode 1). I don't mind having the Klingon changed a bit, but apparently they were meant to look like that, they just didnt have the budget at that time to have them "full faced" with make-up.

The story is just starting, we're comparing 4 episodes (5?) to legendary Sci-Fi series, so give it time. Its realistic, I like that the characters all have their flaws and strong attributes/skills/etc. The characters back stories are good, IMO.

So far so good, I can't wait for the next episodes.